Rude Friends!

Options
Does anyone else have friends that seem like they are trying to undermine you at every turn when it comes to your diet and exercise. I was telling my friend about this running program I started and how I was doing a 5k on New Years Eve and her response was, that's gross why would you waste $20 to do that . I took the same friend with me to the gym because she asked to go and when I was running on the treadmill she was walking at 2 mph and asked me why I was trying so hard and then asked if we could leave early and go to Steak n' Shake! Another one of my friends is constantly trying to get me to eat unhealthy things. She will by chips and put them in my face and tell me of just one bag won't hurt and you don't eat enough, or when I exercise she says it's not worth it I should just be fat and happy! I'm 21 and have been overweight my entire life and would think these people would be happy for me. I weigh 250 lbs (down from 306!) and eat about 1700 calories a day so by no means am I anorexic or anything but that's what they act like! Anybody else deal with this? How do you handle it?

Replies

• musicaljessica
    Options
    I think they're jealous. You're doing great - sounds like you've got everything sussed. Ignore them.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    With people like that i generally just do not discuss diet and exercise. Then when they tease me I ignore it. They'll stop when they don't get a reaction out of you. My family would tease me about being gluten free all the time... until I just ignored them and did my own thing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    kill 'em with sarcasm. or honesty. or a deadly combo of the two.

or just kill em...
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

or just kill em...

^^^^ This
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I think they're jealous. You're doing great - sounds like you've got everything sussed. Ignore them.

I don't think they sound jealous, I think they sound annoying.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't really get along with other females so I don't have this problem... but it sounds like they are just jealous!

Pay no attention to them. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Let them know you're doing this not because you don't love yourself the way you are. You're doing it because you do love yourself. Because you are worth it. :)

Show them that you're not miserable with your new lifestyle! Show them you're enjoying life, just in a different way!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't really get along with other females so I don't have this problem... but it sounds like they are just jealous!

Pay no attention to them. :)

B*tch Puh-lease! I love you AND your boobies!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Yes! I think they sound horrible. Why in the world are you calling them friends? Seriously, you are doing a good thing for your life, you should be surrounded by goodness.
  • ShanBam143760
    Options
    I think when it comes to diet and excerize unless they are into also, they will not be so about it. I say just focus on you, and its not so much them being mean as much as it's they dont understand. Just go to the gym by yourself, and if they cant even be happy for you or supporitve maybe you need new friends going in the same direction of life :)
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    they are just jelous m like you as well my friends used to eat healthy but when i told them that i want to lose weight they started going to take aways so u just ignore them as i do. shall i tell u my trick i go to take away wid them bt i eat my fist size meal n bring the rest home so ven i cum home i get the fist size portion frm d food n measure it so i can giv me d correct calories i have eaten. so do what you are doing dnt think your frndz dnt like it think about ur own health if they are being mean n trying to discourage u, u do d same to em dats hw life goes on u meet good n bad people i wish i was ur frnd v cud both lose weight 2gether and encourage eachother instead of discouraging.

by the way congrats on losing 53 lbs so far keep losing weight until you reach your ideal goal. m 5 feet n trying to b at 95 lbs well my goal was 102 bt i saw a girl same height n she was 95 lbs n looked amazing so my target goal is to b at 95 frm 117
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yes! I think they sound horrible. Why in the world are you calling them friends? Seriously, you are doing a good thing for your life, you should be surrounded by goodness.
    Yep. Keep in mind that you can choose your friends, especially the ones you spend time with and share your goals with.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That's hard. From first-hand experience, that's hard.

Friends are the people you think you can confide in and vent to, and when weight-loss and exercise are on your mind, you want to vent about those things! It's upsetting when they don't acknowledge what you're doing, and even worse when they try and sabotage you.

Unfortunately, you can either decide that you want to have a heart to heart and get them to come to your viewpoint, or (if their friendship isn't really worth that to you, which I totally understand) just leave them out of that part of your life. It's sad, but from a third person perspective, having a full sharing relationship with your girls isn't really as important as your well being as a human, is it?

Good luck, and good luck finding some friends who will support you -- they're out there!!!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    agree with PP.. in that they do not have an once of will power that you work so hard for each and every day. Let them be your motivation to not do as they do.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Anybody else deal with this? How do you handle it?

Nope.. I wont deal with it, in fact, I keep myself from people like that. And, when they call or come around and ask why Im not out and about with them often anymore, I tell them like-it-is, the whole truth and if they dont like it, tough s***.

When I go out, I still like to maintain a reasonable amount of healthy eating. I pre-plan ahead, and even configure an alcoholic beverage into my daily intake so I dont feel deprived... but, its up to ME to decide if I want those chips, or popcorn, or bloomin' onion, or dessert... and no one else.

There is a woman I went to high school with who is also on a weight-loss journey herself. Her and I always look at the menu together to help each other out for making good food choices - and its at restaurants where everything is made fresh from scratch and they accomodate food allergies without a problem.... THAT is the kind of friend I will go out with at a moment's notice - no questions asked!

The others can kiss my slowly-decreased-in-size BUTT! LOL!
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    13535522.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    people try and get you to join them in their unhealthy choices because it makes THEM feel more comfortable with those choices. Stick with the programme and politely tell them where to get off.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why are you calling these women friends again???
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

or just kill em...
    I prefer option C. It's a very effective way to stop people annoying you. :devil:
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Ummmm why are they still "friends"

Tell them how you feel if they don't change... Be done....