Back from my first trip to the nutritionist...

Options

Replies

• Bellyroll
    Options
    I love avocados but here they are 2 bucks for 1 and I just cant afford that at this time sadness.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. I started buying organic milk because it lasts longer than regular milk before it expires and as I'm the only one drinking it, it prevents wasting it. Does anyone know why that is?
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I've been reading a lot lately about the crime that is GMO or genetically modified foods. It would be good for all of us to select foods that are certified NOT GMO sources - not just american grown wheat. I no longer eat anything with these foods unless they are rated certified organic and/or certified non-GMO:

- Soy
    - Sugar from sugar beets
    - Corn
    - Hawaiian papaya
    - Cottonseed (used in vegetable cooking oils)
    - Some varieties of zucchini
    - Canola (canola oil)
    - Crookneck squash
    - Beef or other meat fed with Alfalfa (alfalfa was just approved for GMO sourcing) - go grassfed and/or organic

Non GMO shopping guide:
    http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

And don't go soy for milk, go Almond (unsweetened) or Coconut (always choose organic coconut based items, apparently coconuts absorb pesticides quicker than other types of fruit).

The more I learn about our food supply, the more horrified I get!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.

Quite interesting!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've always wanted to try avocado's but not sure what to do with them.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about the extra hormones used for cow's milk. Luckily I go to the store tomorrow, and I'm out of cow's milk, and I'm going SOY! And I'll definitely have to look into the American Wheat Bread.

Thank you so much for posting this! It's helped shape my grocery list!

You might want to look into soy and phytoestrogen before you jump on that band wagon. And for any Canadians out there, our milk does not contain BGH.

And if you still decide to go with soy, be sure it's not genetically modified...unless that's your thing...

Basically, you should only buy organic soy products. However, there are lots of milk alternatives out there that are not soy and you may want to check some of those out. And don't be scared off by the whole phytoestrogen argument - it's present in many plant foods that people consume on a daily basis - and unless you are one of the small number who is sensitive to it or are consuming alarming amounts of soy, it isn't something that should make your decision about whether to use soymilk or not.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Avocados are great. You can make ceviche if you like seafood, make guacamole and spread it on a sandwich, or just slice it up and eat it (plain or in a salad).

I always thought I didn't get enough protein (I don't really eat meat other than seafood) and when we tracked in my nutrition class I was on the higher end, as Americans go. How much protein is this nutritionist recommending? And for everyone, or just for people with specific training purposes in mind?
  • veganbaum
    Options
    5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.

This is interesting. I'm curious - did your nutritionist say that this is the amount you should be consuming only because of your activity level? I know people on MFP like to encourage a certain amount of protein, and that is usually included in a conversation about fitness, whereas some organizations like WHO generally recommend a much smaller amount for the average person. So I was just wondering if she/he noted that you should be consuming x amount because of your activity level or if they made it more generalized to everyone?
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • sugiravi
    Options
    I just had my first meeting with a nutritionist too! I actually used my app to show her what I was eating, she was impressed (with the app, not my diet).

Anyway, she told me the following:
    - Eat every four hours during the day
    - Have *some* sort of carbs at every meal
    - My theme of high protein/low carb wasn't a good idea. Even if I land under my calorie goal for the day, too much protein just leads to fat. Since I'm actually working out now I need fuel/carbs not chicken, her words.
    - I asked if I should eat back my exercise calories and she looked like me like I was an idiot and said *no*
    - She recommended whole wheat bread, oatmeal (she was really big on the oatmeal), lentils, and whole wheat pasta/Classico.
    - She approved of my love for salmon

Random note-- I just tasted Almond milk for the first time today and it's delicious. I'm totally going to switch over.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The advice I got was from a well-respected nutritionist who has been in the business for over 40 years and has appeared on many TV shows and written many books.
    With all due respect, while that sounds impressive, those are not credentials that necessarily mean anything. I've seen utter rubbish claimed in books and you only have to switch on the TV to see how many idiots get to appear as "experts". For instance "been in the business for over 40 years" can mean either "Highly experienced" or "Qualified 40 years ago and whose knowledge is hopelessly out of date". Not that I'm suggesting this is the case here, I've no idea who you're talking about and know nothing about their qualifications or continuing professional development.
    Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions.
    Only poorly stored grain contains mould. Storing it correctly is hardly rocket science. No idea what happens in practice in America, but that seems like an extremely sweeping generalisation and I am deeply suspicious of those.
    The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    Perhaps it being a traditional staple food for much of the population had a bearing too...
    Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    Maybe in your country. Not everyone's.
    A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body.
    I simply do not believe that there is a biological mechanism whereby a small amount of protein is only digested when it is accompanied by... protein. Delighted to be proven wrong if anyone with a knowledge of biological processes cares to clarify.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    - She recommended whole wheat bread, oatmeal (she was really big on the oatmeal), lentils, and whole wheat pasta/Classico.

A nutritionist recommended a jarred pasta sauce?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I simply do not believe that there is a biological mechanism whereby a small amount of protein is only digested when it is accompanied by... protein. Delighted to be proven wrong if anyone with a knowledge of biological processes cares to clarify.

I don't believe this either. So the eight grams of protein in my cup of milk just don't count?

Plenty of people appear on television and write books. Doesn't mean a thing. (Actually, an "expert" that frequently appears on television has *less* credibility in my book, but I guess I'm a little cynical . . .)
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I just had my first meeting with a nutritionist too! I actually used my app to show her what I was eating, she was impressed (with the app, not my diet).

- My theme of high protein/low carb wasn't a good idea. Even if I land under my calorie goal for the day, too much protein just leads to fat. Since I'm actually working out now I need fuel/carbs not chicken, her words.
    - I asked if I should eat back my exercise calories and she looked like me like I was an idiot and said *no*
    - She approved of my love for salmon

Random note-- I just tasted Almond milk for the first time today and it's delicious. I'm totally going to switch over.

Since this thread is about nutritionists, I have to point out that nutritionists and dietitians are not the same thing, and in most cases advice is better sought from a dietitian.

In terms of this post, if you didn't explain how MFP works - ie giving a calorie deficit to lose weight without exercise - most people assume you are using/partially using exercise to create your deficit for weight loss rather than your initial daily calorie goal and therefore will tell you you shouldn't eat your exercise calories. On MFP, that can create a deficit that for many people is too large to be healthy.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Today I had an appointment with a world-renowned nutritionists. Aside from a host of problems that I've realized I have, I learned a lot of things about food in general that I thought I'd share.
    1. American-grown whole wheat products are one of the worst things to put in your body. Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions. The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    2. Cow's milk products should ONLY be consumed if they are organic. Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    3. Vitamin D is best absorbed after a fat. If you take a fish oil supplement, take the vitamin D right after for optimum absorption.
    4. Cod liver oil is the best fish oil to take (make sure it has had the mercury filtered out!)
    6. Sunflower nut butter is the best nut butter because of the magnesium (most people have a deficiency, which is bad because it acts as a catalyst in your body)
    7. Don't be afraid of avocados because they are high in calories! It is proven that people who consume avocado lose more weight than those who don't (not to mention the monstrous amounts of health benefits that avocados provide)

Just thought I'd share some of the things I learned today. I know they will impact my life and eating habits for the better, and I hope it does the same for you!

:flowerforyou: sharing is happiness, thanks!

on second thought....hhhhhhmmmmmm?????
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

¸

- You don`t need to eat every 4 hours unless you have some special medical condition we don't know about (is it because of PCOS? And if so, why?)
    - why do you need carbs at every meal?
    - that is complete nonsense. Extra protein does not get turned into fat if you're under your maintenance calories for the day.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I was often "over" on the protein on MFP too and was wondering if it was harmful to my diet to be getting too much protein. One thing I have to disagree with the nutritionist is that your body is eating up your muscle when protein is too low. That is only true if your BMI is below 10 which maybe yours is. It is teens for men. I would say most people women are above 10 BMI. I know this from a rgid military study that was done. I cut out whole grains and dairy and pasta three weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. The thing I have learned about nutritional advise is it seems to constantly change. Thanks again.

My blood tests showed that my muscles were being eaten by my body due to excess lactic acid being released from low protein intake. I'm just relaying the information my tests showed so other people don't make the same mistake and end up in this place... it's no fun.
  • shovav91
    Options

This is interesting. I'm curious - did your nutritionist say that this is the amount you should be consuming only because of your activity level? I know people on MFP like to encourage a certain amount of protein, and that is usually included in a conversation about fitness, whereas some organizations like WHO generally recommend a much smaller amount for the average person. So I was just wondering if she/he noted that you should be consuming x amount because of your activity level or if they made it more generalized to everyone?

It was more of a general statement. Everyone should be eating several servings of concentrated protein every day.
  • shovav91
    Options
    The advice I got was from a well-respected nutritionist who has been in the business for over 40 years and has appeared on many TV shows and written many books.
    With all due respect, while that sounds impressive, those are not credentials that necessarily mean anything. I've seen utter rubbish claimed in books and you only have to switch on the TV to see how many idiots get to appear as "experts". For instance "been in the business for over 40 years" can mean either "Highly experienced" or "Qualified 40 years ago and whose knowledge is hopelessly out of date". Not that I'm suggesting this is the case here, I've no idea who you're talking about and know nothing about their qualifications or continuing professional development.
    Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions.
    Only poorly stored grain contains mould. Storing it correctly is hardly rocket science. No idea what happens in practice in America, but that seems like an extremely sweeping generalisation and I am deeply suspicious of those.
    The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    Perhaps it being a traditional staple food for much of the population had a bearing too...
    Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    Maybe in your country. Not everyone's.

I should have specified that this was for American products- she gave recommendations for Greek and Icelandic yogurts that were perfectly OK because they don't use growth hormones there. I think I misspoke about the protein; it's not that your body doesn't use it, of course it does, It's just that in such small amounts it doesn't do much. Feel free to look at my diary; I thought I was getting plenty of protein because of what my macros said at the end of the day, but it turns out that according to my blood work I was protein-deficient to the point where my body is eating away at my muscles; I am considered "malnourished" in regards to protein when it comes to my blood test results. Another thing about eating whole wheat is that it actually blocks the absorption of vitamins. Whole wheat is considered an "antinutrient".
    http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/phytic-acid.html