Why Aren't Low-Carb Diets Official Advice for Type 2 Diabeti

Options

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    acg67...are you a diabetic..i didnt think so....

walk in our shoes and then talk to us about carbs...test your blood sugar 5 to 0 times a day....

then talk to all of us about carb intake...

until you walk in our shoes, do a little more research..

if you are a diabetic, my apologies to you..
    if you arent....point made!

Bill type 2 sine 2005
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    acg67...are you a diabetic..i didnt think so....

walk in our shoes and then talk to us about carbs...test your blood sugar 5 to 0 times a day....

then talk to all of us about carb intake...

until you walk in our shoes, do a little more research..

if you are a diabetic, my apologies to you..
    if you arent....point made!

Bill type 2 sine 2005

please reread AlishaGates's post, she makes no mention at all of people dealing with a metabolic disorder, including diabetes. She states that the rise in obesity is due to increased carb intake, while leaving out the fact that we've become more sedentary as a population as a whole and overall have increased caloric intake. My post was simply challenging her assertion, you'll notice nowhere did i say low carb is not beneficial to those with certain metabolic disorders
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Because low carb diets are questionable at best. I don't really necessarily mean that as an insult to low carb diets, I mean that the research is just not there. Why is it not there? Because the decent research we do have largely suggests that low carb diets or certain characteristics of low carbs diets would potentially be dangerous so it's unethical to do a proper trial.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    acg...you are so right...my apologies to you.....

that is another side effect of being diabetic... sometimes we speak before we should...we are very passionate about our problem and we get crazy about the carb thing..

its not easy being diabetic...

again you are right about the original post..

my bad

Merry Christmas!
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Because low carb diets are questionable at best. I don't really necessarily mean that as an insult to low carb diets, I mean that the research is just not there. Why is it not there? Because the decent research we do have largely suggests that low carb diets or certain characteristics of low carbs diets would potentially be dangerous so it's unethical to do a proper trial.

What characteristics of low carb diets are dangerous exactly?
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true for everyone, as there HAVE been trials: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/Modified_Atkins_Diet_Can_Cut_Epileptic_Seizures_in_Adults

I was going to try this but I found a med that worked. I'm not sure if I'd rather be on seizure meds for the rest of my life or a ketogenic diet. . .neither sounds ideal, but neither does a seizure d/o.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options

Eh? Wow, please, if you are going to make a bold claim like that please back it up with some references...
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, from the standpoint of someone who has taken the coursework for becoming a registered dietitian but without taking the internship that would allow me to sit for the test, it's because diabetics don't have to avoid carbs, they just have to modify the way they eat carbs. That's why the RD's at hospitals call it a carb controlled diet and not a low carb diet. You have to eat any high glycemic carbs with protein or fat in order to slow the spike of blood sugar. They can still have just as many carbs as the average person, but they have to learn how to combine their foods to avoid the spikes of blood sugar. That is done by limiting the grams per meal and eating more often (where the 6 meals per day that has gained widespread popularity originated) then the standard 3 meals per day.

The reason a low fat diet is recommended is because 70% of type 2 diabetics also have high blood pressure which when combined with high cholesterol can lead to a heart attack or stroke. So, they recommend a low fat diet to decrease this risk. Actually, because of the fact that many diabetics increase protein so much and have high blood pressure (which is also linked to the kidneys) they make up the majority of End Stage Renal Disease patients too, so they should be watching their protein intake too in order to protect their kidneys. That's why I was taught to recommend a diet of 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight of protein and figure out the percentage of calories that would be and then give a moderate fat percentage and filling in the rest with carbs for diabetic patients. Then teaching them about heart healthy oils (ones like Olive that have shown to reduce cardiac health risk) and combining foods.

And the reason that doctors don't do this or know how to recommend any diet plan for any diseased population is because they have usually only taken 1 nutrition class, if that. They don't know squat about about nutrition. I don't go cutting people open or prescribing antibiotics for people with pneumonia because that is not in my scope of practice, I refer them to a doctor. The professional courtesy should run both ways and doctors should refer patients who need weight loss or special exercise or diet plans to the properly trained professionals as well. Unfortunately, some of them don't and don't realize they may be harming their patients because of it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Here's what I don't understand: compared to a non-diabetic, a type 2 diabetic's body doesn't handle carbohydrate intake that well, but instead of the obvious, logical response of dispensing a low-carb diet, the Conventional Wisdom advice is to recommend a low-fat diet instead (which ipso facto usually means a higher-carb intake to compensate). Why is there this wide disconnect? Am I somehow missing the evidence that upping carb intake (via a low-fat diet) for a Type 2 Diabetic improves their overall health?

At my heaviest, when my doctor thought I was on the road to prediabetes (with the 2-hour glucose tolerance reading at 138), he sent me to the dietician who in turn recommended that I cut my FAT intake to 50g per day. Not even a whisper about carbs. And my mom, who through years of Type 2 Diabetes, has End Stage Renal failure and is currently on kidney dialysis, still has her doctors recommend that she consume lots of fruits, like oranges. One time, I was actually with my mom at the hospital when her nephrologist made this same recommendation. I interjected, "but doctor, you know that my mom has a long history of Type 2 Diabetes and kidney failure, isn't eating an orange for her potentially dangerous?" He responded that "Well, it's natural sugars instead of processed sugars." I said, "Ah, how exactly is her body able tell the difference once digested?" to which he thought for a minute and recommended that she see a dietician instead (who would probably dispense the same advice with a different title).

I would find another Nephrologist and QUICK. My mom was on dialysis for over 13 years and her doctor told her to watch how much fruit such as oranges, grapefruit and bananas especially.

Also, there are some Nephrologists out there that are treating kidney disease and reversing the damage with a high fat, moderate protein, low carb eating plan.

Please read below.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/low-carbohydrate-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-may-reverse-kidney-failure-in-people-with-diabetes/
  • Grokette
    Options
    Okay, from the standpoint of someone who has taken the coursework for becoming a registered dietitian but without taking the internship that would allow me to sit for the test, it's because diabetics don't have to avoid carbs, they just have to modify the way they eat carbs. That's why the RD's at hospitals call it a carb controlled diet and not a low carb diet. You have to eat any high glycemic carbs with protein or fat in order to slow the spike of blood sugar. They can still have just as many carbs as the average person, but they have to learn how to combine their foods to avoid the spikes of blood sugar. That is done by limiting the grams per meal and eating more often (where the 6 meals per day that has gained widespread popularity originated) then the standard 3 meals per day.

The reason a low fat diet is recommended is because 70% of type 2 diabetics also have high blood pressure which when combined with high cholesterol can lead to a heart attack or stroke. So, they recommend a low fat diet to decrease this risk. Actually, because of the fact that many diabetics increase protein so much and have high blood pressure (which is also linked to the kidneys) they make up the majority of End Stage Renal Disease patients too, so they should be watching their protein intake too in order to protect their kidneys. That's why I was taught to recommend a diet of 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight of protein and figure out the percentage of calories that would be and then give a moderate fat percentage and filling in the rest with carbs for diabetic patients. Then teaching them about heart healthy oils (ones like Olive that have shown to reduce cardiac health risk) and combining foods.

And the reason that doctors don't do this or know how to recommend any diet plan for any diseased population is because they have usually only taken 1 nutrition class, if that. They don't know squat about about nutrition. I don't go cutting people open or prescribing antibiotics for people with pneumonia because that is not in my scope of practice, I refer them to a doctor. The professional courtesy should run both ways and doctors should refer patients who need weight loss or special exercise or diet plans to the properly trained professionals as well. Unfortunately, some of them don't and don't realize they may be harming their patients because of it.

Thanks to Ancel Keys you were taught very wrong and outdated information.

Fat and cholesterol has nothing to do with heart disease, high blood pressure or any other cardiovascular issues.

In fact, it is the carbs that causes the inflammation that leads to heart disease and other issues, not fat.

Researchers, doctors and other scientists are starting to find out the truth about Ancel Keys lies and things in terms of thinking will change.

Everything you think you know will turn out to be a big fat lie.
  • Grokette
    Options

What characteristics of low carb diets are dangerous exactly?

Exactly? What part of a low carb plan is questionable or dangerous??????

Is it the protein? I don't think so and definitely not the fat.

Wait a minute. It must be the fresh vegetables and fruits that makes it dangerous. Yeah, that must be it. :grumble: :noway:
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Could you point me in the direction of a journal article which shows that high cholesterol causes strokes? I'd also be quite interested in reading some papers which show a link between dietary fat and serum cholesterol levels.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options

There is TONS of evidence that a low carb diet is healthy and safe. Check out Gary Taubes book -http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1820055.Good_Calories_Bad_Calories
    It is one of the most comprehensive and recent nutrition research books available.
  • Acg67
    Options

There is TONS of evidence that a low carb diet is healthy and safe. Check out Gary Taubes book -http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1820055.Good_Calories_Bad_Calories
    It is one of the most comprehensive and recent nutrition research books available.

^ only read the above book if you want your head to be filled with nonsense (other then the section on the lipid hypothesis)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree with Acg67.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If someone is already in renal failure, it is difficult for their bodies to metabolize a lot of protein, so a low carb regimine is not recomended. However, if one is not in renal failure, low carb is fine. But, even better is high fiber. this slows down the absorbtion of carbs, making it easier for your body to keep up on proper insulin production. the key to anything is balance and moderation. If you want a potato, eat a potato, but skip the pop. If you want the ice cream, eat a serving and not a pint and skip the potato. Carbs are not evil. Our brains absolutely need carbs to function properly, and our cells need carbs to create energy. However, too much of a good thing makes a bad thing. In general, according to my partner's dietitian, using the plate method is the best way to get what you need as a diabetic: half of a 7" plate should be veggies, 1/4 carb and 1/4 lean protein. This is a good balanced way to choose food. my diabetic partner has lost over 40 pounds using this method, she has gotten off of her short term insulin and has cut her long term insulin from 52 units per night to 10 and her sugars have been perfect. (This result is related to this food regimine and essential oils and suppliments.) Moderation moderation and paying attention.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Too many people equate low carb with no carb. Too much protein and not enough carbs can send a person into a condition called keytoacidosis, which can cause kidney damage. Our bodies need some carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's like Dr's walk around with a Paper bag over their heads when it comes to the dangers of carbohydrate intake! After pushing Low Fat/ Low Calorie diets, the obesity rate went up!!! Why is that? Because people are eating an insane amount of carbs a day. Those 90 calorie packs of chips, cookies, little cups of fruit filled with sugar, and the list goes on.

What doctors don't realize is that by restricting carb intake, getting a grip on blood sugar levels becomes much easier!

I hate to say this, but the numbers don't agree with that assessment. Total sugar consumption by Americans actually dropped by 1% between 1970 and 2007, while dietary fat consumption increased by 7%. And the average caloric intake increased by about 600 calories a day. As much as the "Low Carb Taliban" like to scream from the rooftops about how all the carbs are suddenly bad, the actual numbers show people are actually eating LESS carbs compared to 40 years ago, they're just eating much more food.

As for the original post, I am stumped, the doctor there is an idiot (granted most doctors don't get much nutrition education, other than nutritionists.) My mother had Diabetes for decades, and always ate a low sugar diet, not really low carb, just low simple sugars.

Although, re-reading and noticing the kidney failure, yeah, protein is bad for damaged kidneys, so a higher carb, lower protein diet would most likely be a decent plan.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's like Dr's walk around with a Paper bag over their heads when it comes to the dangers of carbohydrate intake! After pushing Low Fat/ Low Calorie diets, the obesity rate went up!!! Why is that? Because people are eating an insane amount of carbs a day. Those 90 calorie packs of chips, cookies, little cups of fruit filled with sugar, and the list goes on.

What doctors don't realize is that by restricting carb intake, getting a grip on blood sugar levels becomes much easier!

I hate to say this, but the numbers don't agree with that assessment. Total sugar consumption by Americans actually dropped by 1% between 1970 and 2007, while dietary fat consumption increased by 7%. And the average caloric intake increased by about 600 calories a day. As much as the "Low Carb Taliban" like to scream from the rooftops about how all the carbs are suddenly bad, the actual numbers show people are actually eating LESS carbs compared to 40 years ago, they're just eating much more food.

As for the original post, I am stumped, the doctor there is an idiot (granted most doctors don't get much nutrition education, other than nutritionists.) My mother had Diabetes for decades, and always ate a low sugar diet, not really low carb, just low simple sugars.

Although, re-reading and noticing the kidney failure, yeah, protein is bad for damaged kidneys, so a higher carb, lower protein diet would most likely be a decent plan.

Don't know where you are getting your figures from but you are wrong.
    Americans now consume 19% more added sugar in their daily diet than they did in 1970, according to recent figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1983542,00.html#ixzz1hPV0GkUa
  • Acg67
    Options

Don't know where you are getting your figures from but you are wrong.
    Americans now consume 19% more added sugar in their daily diet than they did in 1970, according to recent figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1983542,00.html#ixzz1hPV0GkUa

in 1970 added sugars accounted for 18.5% of total kcal intake, in 2009 added sugars accounted for 16.9% of total kcal intake, a decrease of 1.6%

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/foodconsumption/spreadsheets/foodloss/Calories.xls