african american hair and exercise???

Options

Replies

• nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    I put my hair in a ponytail and fold the ends into the ponytail while I work out. If I am being really lazy, just leave it like that until the next morning... and then put a scarf on at night for bed... let it out in the morning, put some aragan oil in it, run fingers through my hair.. add a headband, if really lazy.. but most days just leave it.. and whallah... my new hairstyle for the day... body and slight curl.

If I work out a little earlier, then I just let it dry naturally, and then wrap it before going to bed.....I do wear a lot of headbands, though, so that I don't have to use the curling iron. I keep moisturizer in my hair, at night before I wrap it, and in the morning when I take it out. Typically aragon oil as it is not heavy.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a relaxer since I was old enough to determine what was done to my hair(12years plus). I believe my mom relaxed my hair out of ignorance because the chemicals in relaxers are really unhealthy/unsafe.Natural hair can work for everyone,you just have to train your hair.When I'm not wearing a protective hairstyle,I twist my hair before I work out and wear a scarf during my workout and I'm good to go...being natural is so liberating

I really like my shoulder length natural hair. But in fairness, it took a long time to grow out. I have a good friend who's tried to do it, but always gets frustrated, gives up and gets a mild texturizer. A woman who works in a very conservative industry also would probably think twice about the transition process.

I personally don't do "protective styles." I always wore my hair in a pony tail while it was growing out. But I don't think I'd look good in braids and twists.

In addition, I always carry elastics because there are times when it looks out of control because of humidity.
  • As_Sweet_As_Pea
    As_Sweet_As_Pea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I was wearing my hair permed and straightened, I would pull my hair into a pony tail and wear a band over the edges. I am a heavy scalp sweater, and it kept my hair from being ruined. After my workouts I would let the pony tail down and allow the hair to air dry and it would be like nothing ever happened. I hope this helps.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Not african american here but can I ask a slightly off topic quick question?

I have very curly hair naturally and live in a super humid climate so when I straighten it the next day when I wake up I look like Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride. I know, lots of African American ladies with relaxed hair wrap it somehow at night. Can anyone direct me to a website or something to show me how to do that? I think it might help my hair.

Won't the curls reform the minute you hit the humidity?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am natural and wear weaves,
  • mrsleonard12
    mrsleonard12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am completely natural. I do wear a tight pony when I work out because it will make my hair puffy. If you try a loose pony or clamp, all of your hair won't get sweaty and the roots can dry because its not compact. hope this helps. :)
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I have very curly hair naturally and live in a super humid climate so when I straighten it the next day when I wake up I look like Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride. I know, lots of African American ladies with relaxed hair wrap it somehow at night. Can anyone direct me to a website or something to show me how to do that? I think it might help my hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNKNDOcd-8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksGzW-F_X8
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was natural for over a year and while some love it, I HATED it! I went back to permed hair about two months ago! For me and working out, this has worked the BEST! I sweat a lot, but my hair is in a ponytail while I workout, and then I wear it down afterward with NO problem, and my hair is VERY thick! I am so glad I went back to a perm, because my hair is so thick that at natural, it took me HOURS to do it every morning, and I still was not happy with it. Natural is not for everyone! If you are considering going natural, I would do it because it is right for you, not because it is popular. I did it because it was popular, and I would never do it again! Find out what is right for you, and do that!

Finally, someone I can relate to! I went natural two years ago and hated it too. I used to run in the hot Georgia sun 5-6 days a week and my hair would be so tough to manage. Since then, I relax my hair about every 2-3 months and my hair is way more manageable, healthy,and it honestly looks better to me than going natural. People always talk about the pros of going natural, but it just didnt work for me. Try and see what works and don't feel bad if it doesn't. For exercise, I'll put my hair into a loose ponytail, and vary between high and low ponytails ( I heard that wearing a ponytail in the same position and wearing it too tight is bad for your hair). I used to fret about how exercising messes up my hair until I put my health before my hair. If your hair isn't as perfect so what? You are striving to be a healthier you, and that's really all that matters.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great question! I have been batteling this dielma since I was a teen. My hairdressers have never had the answer either. I am a natural ebony. I am not lucky enough to wash and go so I flat iron once a week. I cannot live without Lok & Blok by Sabino. It maintains my moisture even through workouts and humidity. Keep working out, cute hair never feels as good as a cute body. That's what the salon is for. Best wishes.
  • Foxxyfiercefitness
    Foxxyfiercefitness Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 inches of natural hair and am rocking the old school box braids with the 100% Kanekalon hair. I usually have the perimeter redone every six weeks ( my hair grows slowly) and have had my whole head redone once. I've had them since the end of January and they are really good for working out. I clean my scalp to avoid any odor from sweat, but I don't really "wash" them. Extremely low maintenance especially for this summertime Texas heat. I'm thinking of getting permanent loc extensions next year, but until then, I'll be with either box braids or Senegalese twists.

P.S: I'm always looking for fitness friends especially those who look like me. Feel free to add!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the right answer is.

I run 4-5 days a week, and after my runs my entire body including my head/hair is soaked. I live in Houston so I don't just experience the heat but the humidity as well. I wash my hair after every single run because there's no way I'm putting up with the smell. My hair is relaxed and short (top of shoulders length) so it's a fairly easy process of washing/conditioning but it's thick so it takes about 4-5 hours to air dry (no ponytail).

The only magic trick I have is that I have a really great cut that doesn't look too horrible during the drying process. I haven't found the magic trick to making it cute or sexy but I'm more concerned about my health than about how I look at work.

This. It's so important to wash your hair after it gets soaked with sweat. Sweat is basically salt-water and can be super damaging and drying to your hair. I wash my hair after every workout. I use sulfate free shampoo and a deep conditioner, then put some coconut oil on it. Then I pin or tie up my hair into a high ponytail and a low ponytail and let it air dry. It looks pretty good after drying, and I usually just put it up in a bun.
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem. I had my hair in a weave with the front bit left out, which I use to straighten (flat iron?) daily. When I went to the gym I put a headband on so where my natural hair got sweaty and wet and therefore went curly, you couldn't tell. I washed it as normal and made sure I got the shampoo in between the tracks to my hair underneath. I decided at Christmas to go natural, no big chop or transition, just wear my own hair back in one or two plaits (braids) and try not to use the hairdryer if possible. After the gym I also use a sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, under the shower cap for 20 minutes while I take my time and stretch in the shower, and then stick a leave in conditioner on, again under the shower cap and go home, twist my hair and let it dry naturally. Being natural can be a pin in the bum but I love the fact my hair can't really get much curlier when I sweat, so I can concentrate on working harder.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Won't the curls reform the minute you hit the humidity?

With enough products it stays kinda wavy but doesn't go back to full white girl fro.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNKNDOcd-8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksGzW-F_X8

Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am natural, and I sweat a lot!!! And continue to sweat for up to an hour after my workout depending on what I do. I usually tie my hair down with a scarf that I found at Walmart that is supposed to help absorb the sweat . Permed or natural, this is what I have always done....I have almost waist length very thick hair, so I usually throw that sucker into a bun afterwards if I don't already have it in twists lol
  • vvickirob
    vvickirob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing the same problem. Last year my goal was to loose weight and my biggest concern was my hair. My hair was healthy, thick and past my bra-strap. Once I started working out my hair started to break and thin because of the excessive sweating and frequent perms. I was tired of getting touchups before my six week time (due to excessive sweating) and I decided to stop perming my hair. I've been transitioning for a year and I am not going to lie, it wasn't an easy transition for the first 5 months.

The question is how I mange my hair after working out. I do CKO (cardio kickboxing) and believe me when the class is over you're drenched in sweat.

When I do a braid-outs. I pin my hair up and wear a headband. I keep the headband on until I get home (this help keeps my edges I place). Before I shower, I take done the pins and spray my hair with oil. If the braid out looks shabby, I moisturize my hair with water and oil and re-braid it ( good to do at night). It can also become time consuming.

For the past month, I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail with a phony ponytail piece. This method is the best so far. When I come from the gym this is my daily routine:
    - I take off my headband
    - I remove the ponytail holder and moisturize my scalp and saturated my ends with Shea butter leave in conditioner repair cream.
    - I brush my hair and put it back in a very loose ponytail, braid the pony tail (hold braid together with a black small rubber band ) and put on my satin headscarf before I go to bed.
    When i wake up. I slick my hair down with Eco Styler Moroccan oil styling gel, tie my hair down with a scarf to hold hair in place.
    While my hair is setting, i do your morning routine. After my morning routine is complete (showering, getting dressed, makeup), I take off my scarf ( check for hair strands that are out of place and sometimes I may need to add more gel). I Attach you phony ponytail piece and I'm out the door. (Less than 5 mins).
    I've been getting a lot of compliments on how elegant I look with my hair pulled back.
    This is the style I'm going to rock until my hair is completely natural.
    If you're thinking about going natural, you tube will become your best friend to help you mange your hair.
  • AmyD428
    AmyD428 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not natural but i was having the same issue when working out. I was washing my hair everyday then styling it (which i kno isnt healthy). So i decided it would be best to just cut it short, but im still having the same issue because i cant just wash my hair and go like i thought i could. I work out in the mornings right before work because its more convenient with my job being close to the gym. Are there any suggestions as to how to style my hair without heat or any products i can use to activate the wave that i do have?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I am not natural but i was having the same issue when working out. I was washing my hair everyday then styling it (which i kno isnt healthy). So i decided it would be best to just cut it short, but im still having the same issue because i cant just wash my hair and go like i thought i could. I work out in the mornings right before work because its more convenient with my job being close to the gym. Are there any suggestions as to how to style my hair without heat or any products i can use to activate the wave that i do have?

Clicky braids?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Since you are not natural that is tuff. I would probably try foam curling (like those foam rods) and a tight wrap. Maybe try some of the products and styling like some of us curly girls do. I transitioned from processed to all natural. When my hair was relaxed and I did not use heat, I used rollers. Tons of different ones. For big and wavy, kinky curls, spiral curls and all the above. This was until I was finally natural and now my curls are crazy curly. Just roll it at night, cover it as tight as possible and take them out after your workout and shower. If you wanted it more straight with no curl, I would probably wrap my hair and put 2 or 3 scarfs around it lol.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You are 26 and have a gym teacher?

Whoa.jpg