Anyone else hate Christmas/Holidays...?

Options
pudadough
pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
I hate this time of year because it reminds me how much I don't get along with my family, specifically my three brothers. Like, can't stand to be in the same room with them a lot of the time. Anyone else hate holidays?

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Only because it has been turned into a corporate buy buy buy holiday. I don't want to buy useless crap that no one will remember I got them. And I am absolutely broke as well. I've never been big on xmas, although I enjoy some parts of it, but not most. Our town has people crawling around like roaches to get last minute gifts. It makes me sick.

I also am not religious and don't like that aspect. I just let other people enjoy it and keep my mouth shut for the most part. lol
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who dislikes this time of year. There's too much food around for me and it doesn't even feel like Christmas. I used to enjoy this part of the season but now, I don't.
    Plus all the religion that gets shoved down my throat during this time really pisses me off.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I don't have a regular dread of the holidays. Sometimes I'm into it, and sometimes I'm not. This year I'm not. I've had a really awful year, and I can't wait for 2011 to be over with (superstitious as that sounds).

And in general, I hate how commercialized the holidays are. I love getting together with people, not exchanging cheap trinkets with one another. Show up at my house and let me cook and bring your favorite bottle. If that happened more often during the holidays, I'd love 'em.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    yesssss.................:-(
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm really bah-humbug this year - probs has something to do with me losing my Dad last year. It's just so hyped up by the media and all the 'stress' of buying people presents - I'm happy to spend this time of year with my family, I don't need gifts...haven't even bothered with decorations this year...not to mention the fact that technically Christmas is a religious holiday and I'm not religious.

Here's to a grumpy time of year...I'm gonna crack a beer now
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    YES!

My aunty and uncle are real up themselves snobs who just sit there in their brand name clothes thinkig they are better than everyone else. Oh, and they told their children (my cousins who are 4 and 5) and ADORABLE not to talk to me or any of my family for any reason :L
    Oh right and then there is the brother who likes to abuse people... cool beans...
    And just today my cousin called me a retard from counting calories..
    and i Get endless verbal abuse from my parents..

yeah my family is ****ed.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    *sigh* i don't like this year's x'mas/holidays...
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm not big into holidays. Thanksgiving is probably about my favorite because it focuses more on family and togetherness!!
  • netty1959
    Options
    I also hate this time of yer, it is just who buys the kids the most expensive presents that people bother about i can remember about 15 years ago Christmas was so good as i live opposite a park and you would hear all the kids excited laughing and happy because the got a bike or scooter they loved it, now the park is deserted on Christmas morning as the kids are sat on game consoles or sat crying because even though the got lots of expensive presents the still not happy because the wanted more.
    roll on 1st January get back to normal xx
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As I have gotten older I have learned to make the holidays simple. I make a simple Christmas Eve dinner with a few desserts, sometimes times store bought. No I don't make the christmas cookies anymore. I don't run around shopping(online shopping works for me) When I was younger I would do all the things society said to make a perfect christmas and be to tired and stressed to enjoy it. I am not perfect and my family is fine with that.
  • RedHatPatti
    RedHatPatti Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    WOW -- I agree with each and every one of you for ALL the same reasons!!! It is amazing and rather helpful to know that there are others out there that feel like I do. I am not being spoken to by our younger son who is 38 /and his wife.. Have been blocked by them on Facebook even!! It's a Long and complicated story...and he has no respect for either of us.. THe other son and family live in Fla .. (we are in GA)..,. so this will be Christmas with NO family or grandkids..(who are all busy). SO I wish you ALL a very peaceful weekend and hope you will DO something FUN ..just for yourself!!! (How about a Movie !!? ) DO try to do something nice for yourself...YOU deserve it for all the work you've done !!! :)
  • ricardo40
    Options
    it's a shame you can't have the holiday without the Christmas it would save a lot of money in my house :)
  • vtempes
    Options
    I enjoy spending time with *some* of my family members (primarily nieces/nephews and inlaws). HATE how commercialized this time of year is! REALLY dislike having to see my S***head brother (but love his daughter dearly). Christmas just does't seem the same since my grandma passed Christmas Eve 2007 and dad passed in 2009...two of my most supportive family members.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds like I have the opposite situation than many people...I would love to be with my family, but I'm an ocean away this year :(
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    it's a shame you can't have the holiday without the Christmas it would save a lot of money in my house :)

Ain't it the truth...I've dropped some serious cash on Xmas presents. There's just so much pressure to buy the perfect gift and all that garbage. I don't mind the actual DAY of Christmas and getting to relax with family, but most of it is just way too stressful for me. It feels like a chore to me. Not to mention a whole month of cookies and candy being shoved in my face.

I don't even have my house decorated because up until a couple weeks ago, I was in the midst of final exams and just couldn't muster the energy. That's what my parents and in-laws are for, they have more time for all this holiday cheer crap. :laugh: I just keep my mouth shut lest I be called a "Scrooge." Lol!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If at any time I feel like family, situations or the commercialization of the holidays is bothering me I like to think about a duck.

Try this:

1. Go find a duck
    2. Get a glass of water
    3. Set the duck on the floor and pour the water on it
    4. Watch the duck
    5. Go get a mop to clean up the floor
    6. Notice that the duck is perfectly OK

If you just shake it off, it will be those who pour the water that have cleaning up to do; I'd rather be the duck.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I learned awhile back that life is too short and if I don't like something I don't do it. I stopped going to a few family get-togethers. Yeah I probably hurt some feelings but they will get over it. I wasn't spending even a day with some of my relatives. You know what? I am happier for it. Give it a try. Stop thinking about them or spending time with them.

You can't choose your relatives, but you can choose how you let them impact your life. :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The Holidays are always make me feel sad. I go through the motions but I hate them.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*. I have decided that after this year I'm done with my family and the holidays. I'm so over the drama, the stress, the dysfunction, the fighting, etc. Next year I'm going somewhere crazy random that doesn't celebrate Christmas and just enjoy being alone and stress-free. Right now I'm thinking about Bhutan or Nepal. Even the thought of being away for the holidays next year is helping me get through these holidays. That and trying to spend every moment possible away from my family. On the plus side I've been going for a lot of runs, doing a lot of yoga and a lot of workouts to get away.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    If at any time I feel like family, situations or the commercialization of the holidays is bothering me I like to think about a duck.

Try this:

1. Go find a duck
    2. Get a glass of water
    3. Set the duck on the floor and pour the water on it
    4. Watch the duck
    5. Go get a mop to clean up the floor
    6. Notice that the duck is perfectly OK

If you just shake it off, it will be those who pour the water that have cleaning up to do; I'd rather be the duck.

May your problems always be so small that they're solved by "thinking about a duck."

I try not to minimize other people's problems when I don't have a clue what those problems are or how they are trying to handle them. Some people are dealing with death, major health problems, and serious issues with their families. The holidays are notorious for bringing about depression and exacerbating things that we've let "roll off our backs" all year. I get that you're trying to be positive and helpful, which is nice of you. Thanks for the reminder to keep things in perspective.
This discussion has been closed.