Do you use a food scale?

Options
I got a digital food scale for Christmas, and I am pretty excited! But, I'm not sure what sorts of things I should be weighing...
Do you use a food scale? What do you use it for? When does it come in handy? I'm not really wanting to weigh everything I eat or something (that seems kinda overboard and obsessive lol), but I feel like there must be certain things it is especially useful for, but I'm not sure what...

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I find mine useful in a few ways:

- things like cereal and hummus and ice cream, where the "cup" and "tablespoon" measurements on the nutrition label are not at all precise in practice

- when I heat up a can of soup or a bag of frozen veggies and I want to split it precisely in half

- cheese, because I tend to really underestimate

- fruits and veggies, not so much for calories but because I aim for high numbers in potassium and vitamin C
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Personally I weigh everything otherwise I tend to cheat myself into thinking I've eaten less than I actually have. I find it a useful habit to get into with weightloss.
  • klopiccolo1
    klopiccolo1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use mine to weigh meats and cheese or anything else I am logging in by ounces :smile:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    to weigh everything...

I have the ability to set the read-out for different measurements when I use imported products (VERY helpful!)...

Matter of fact, my salad with chicken today - everything was weighed out to a precise measurement...8-)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything. I like the precision, especially with meats.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I use it for almost everything especially meat and items that are in "grams"

I have noticed that "servings sizes" is not always correct.

For example:
    I bought a loaf of fresh bread today and it said 1/4 (63 g) was a serving so I cut the bread in half and weight it and it wasn't even close half the loaf was 142 g so I thought I'd weight the other half and it should have weighed 110g but it didn't it was 145 g - total weight should have been 252g and it was 287g - I know it doesn't sound like alot but 50 calories per item per meal can add up quickly.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also cheat myself or underestimate foods. For example, Costco salmon is labeled at7oz per serving, some fillets are 6oz, 9oz they are never equal. Same with chicken breasts. Never equal. Ribs? I'll pull from the bone and measure, same with pork chops -I trim fat before I measure. Dry sketti noodles, another item I can never eyeball!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I find it very handy. I occasionally use it to test my guestimates. Also, when seriously cutting calories, I like to weigh my meat to make sure I am on target with portion control and also when portioning out a block of cheese for snacks.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't. I guess, and have had no problems losing all the weight I wanted to and more that way. I can't be bothered weighing everything, that's too control-freaky for the way I live.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weight every single thing that I eat.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yup, we are all a little crazy. I love my food scale. I got a nice wireless model from christmas tree shop and its great. I like to preportion snacks when i have time and then they are all set up for me in little baggies to travel wtih to school or work.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I live by my food scale!! Its one of the best things I have purchased along my journey along w/ 2 sets of measuring spoons and cups and my HRM! LOL. Without them I am not sure I would have lost 100 pounds to be honest!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just used it to weigh an ounce of fudge that was given to me as a gift because it was in a block. I use it to measure spaghetti, meats, and anything else that I feel the need. It comes in handy alot and I use it everyday!
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use mine to weigh the stuff that isn't pre portioned...ie if I have to cut something I'll weigh it to make sure I'm logging the right amount
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, mostly for meats and cheese!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas too! I wanted it for the typical things everyone else is mentioning... Meats, cheese, pasta.... Sometimes I think I cheat myself too!

Good luck with yours!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use mine for foods I like and tend to underestimate - nuts and cheese, for example. I also sometimes spot check my foods to make sure I am on track with my guestimating....the results can be surprising!
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. And I have been using it pretty much daily since I started using MFP. It's come in handy for cheese, meats, yogurt (i don't have to dirty a measuring cup).
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh everything, what are you doing now? Guessing? Using measuring cups (if you're always using measuring cups, that's basically the same as far as "obsessive" and "overboard" as weighing everything). I weigh everything. I couldn't imagine doing this without it. It's so easy to overestimate or underestimate. I use my food scale for accuracy.

As far as what I use it on, basically everything. I find that it's easier to use than measuring spoons and I typically get more food with the scale than the spoons. I only use measuring spoons for very small measurements or for things that I can only find the cup, tablespoon calories on.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I eat.. Ever since I have started this lifestyle change, I've become obsessed with accuracy, I hope you enjoe your scale as much as I do mine.