Do you use a food scale?

Options

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use mine for everything. Also I use measuring cups and spoons for everything. I'm getting pretty good at estimating but I dont want to be off one single calorie.

I always weigh my meat for sandwiches, like I just want 2 ounces of meat. Making turkey burgers, I want 4 ounces. I can eye it pretty decently but being a huge baker, I've come up always measuring stuff particularly for baking.

Once you start weighing stuff you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
  • TXchris
    TXchris Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything. I have found it really helps keep me on track. Because eating healthier is a family endeavor for us, I have found my husband and kids are much more capable of helping serve meals with the scale. I can say "Everyone gets 1 ounce of chips" and my 11 yo son can weigh out the chips while I am making sandwiches for example. Initially I was afraid it would take too long to weigh everything, but now I think it is faster than measuring everything and I'm not constantly washing my measuring cups!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat, cheese, yogurt, and anything else that uses weight for serving size :)
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use mine for weighing meat portions, and for items in recipies, i.e. 2 oz of noodles. My eyeballing 2 oz. was definately a lot different.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When we buy meat in bulk. I like to weigh it into portions for freezing. I have a tendency to underestimate the amount of cheese I am putting on a sandwich, so I use the scale for that. I seem to use it every day for something.

Edited to add that I got a great gift of odd size measuring cups and spoons: 2/3 of a cup, 3/4 of a cup, 1 1/2 cups, etc. That's going to be great when I divide recipes.
  • George1567
    Options
    I try to weigh as much as possibe, with the goal of being able to do a more accurate visual estimate when I am in a plce where I cant weigh things out. That way when dining out I can better caculate what ammount to record and also have a better idea what portion I should eat and what goes home or gets left on the plate.

I find it really helpful to put a salad bowl on the scale and build a salad. Know exactly what is there, and putting on dressing by the scale eliminates the mess of measureing and again give me a great feel for estimating when measuring is not an option.

You got it, just as well use it.........
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything. I have found it really helps keep me on track. Because eating healthier is a family endeavor for us, I have found my husband and kids are much more capable of helping serve meals with the scale. I can say "Everyone gets 1 ounce of chips" and my 11 yo son can weigh out the chips while I am making sandwiches for example. Initially I was afraid it would take too long to weigh everything, but now I think it is faster than measuring everything and I'm not constantly washing my measuring cups!

What a good way to get your family involved!
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I weigh or measure absolutely everything that I eat. Meat - of course you weigh raw prior to cooking. I weigh my fruits and vegetables, ... everything! It seemed a little odd at first weighing everything, but you get used to it - and now I couldn't do without it.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    a food scale is the single most important tool that a person can use to combat weight loss. measuring spoons/cups are a close second.

using these things to weigh out and measure your portions can aid you, especially if you were like me, and had problems with portion control.

most are under $30, and i tell people all the time to get them before they get a heart rate monitor.
    Oh, I am going to hell for this...I don't want to combat weight loss! *sorry*

I weigh/measure everything, and read labels all the time, even on the stuff I eat regularly. Sometimes they change stuff!
  • Gatorjrm
    Gatorjrm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure everything as well. I think its so important to know exactly what we are putting into our bodies. I really like it for cheese, chicken, fish, nuts, yogurt etc etc
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    weigh everything!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I just bought a food scale as a Christmas present to myself and love it!
    I find it really useful for things like cheese because the label usually has the calories for grams, not cups. Also it's really good for meat because a lot of the entries in MFP are in grams which is way more accurate than just saying "one chicken breast" kwim.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i use my food scale everyday! it makes me much more accurate with everything im eating, at least with meat and stuff that you dont really measure in cups. i would recommend one to anyone who is trying to lose weight.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose weight without my food scale and measuring cups. I would be stuck eating "diet foods" in premeasured portions, and I would not be happy.

Today I ate fudge. It is 295 calories per 100 g. I ate 28 g. That was 83 cals. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I am under my calorie goal for the day. No guilt over that pleasure, because I KNOW I'm not over my limit.

If I could estimate portion size by "just eating smaller portions," I wouldn't have gained weight in the first place.

Hint -- for measuring peanut butter and other sticky things, weight the jar before and after getting out your portion, or weight the bread before and after adding the peanut butter. Much easier than using measuring spoons or trying to estimate.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Long ago I had a small postal scale that weighed in ounces. I started out weighing foods on this scale. Now I can pretty much just eye ball something and tell how much it weighs.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do not use a scale. I am committed to losing weight but will not go to that extent.
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Such a good idea! I have been counting out portions of snacks to baggie lol

Also, I will definitely start using it for meats, cheese, and nuts! I have a hard time estimating those things.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I can't wait to start using it!!!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I do. I use mine for pasta or meats. Basically things you cant put in a measuring cup or tsp/ tble spoons
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! For everything that requires ounces
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I weigh if a 'guesstimate' won't do. I am getting better at serving size guesses so am weighing food less.

I've been doing this since March and lost heaps with my 'near-enough' approach.

Usually I over-estimate calories eaten and under-estimate those burned.

In March - June I didn't even track calories.

Highly calorific items should be measured a bit more carefully than a guess imho.

Low calorie items like lettuce, cucumber, etc. and low-cal mints I often ignore.