Question for runners...

Options
During your your run, which mile feels like the longest? The first or the last one? For me it varies but it is usually the first one.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I find the first ten minutes hardest. At the end of the run, I'm mostly going on adrenalin and feel pretty good. (Not that I'm doing very long distances at the moment, but I've covered more ground pre-injury.)
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yes, most definitely the first ten minutes for me - toxic 10! Yuck - I definitely want to give up!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 mile outside course that I run around my house and it's the first 1.5 miles that I have to convince myself not to turn around on, not convincing myself that the 3 miles that I would complete if I turned around would be enough. I called it my PONR "point of no return". After that, it's just easier for me to keep going and get 'er done.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I love the PONR. I have a similar thing - a point where I know I've gone about 10 minutes, and I know if I get to that, I'll be ok....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have had some pretty bad last few miles before. Last year I was not prepared enough for the half marathon I was running and really really hit the wall. Those last 3 miles were beyond bad. But in general, the first one is always the hardest. I like the PONR someone posted above. I agree, I am the same way.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    usually the first...sometimes the last, if I am really wiped out.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    The first few miles and the last mile on longer runs.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    yes for me it's the first 10 minutes, so about 1 mile or close to it....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The first is always the worst for me under normal conditions. Unless you're talking a marathon - and then it's somewhere between miles 18 and 22 that are just agony for me.
  • addierama
    Options
    The first mile is hard, I am currently training for my 2nd Half marathon. I'm to to MFP:)

13229115.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Fist, but because it always IS the longest time wise as I am getting into it and warming up.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Usually the first 6.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I very rarely have a negative split. Most often I have positive splits, so that would be rationale for the last mile being the toughest. But in my brain, I really like the, "You're almost home. You can do this," chant I repeat to myself during the last mile(s).

I really, really like the PONR - which to me is the half way point of an out and back. It's when I realize no matter what, I have to get home so I might as well put the sole to the road.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I always find the first mile hard. When I used to run very long, I often found miles ~15-17 difficult, but the last ones were OK. Once I got within a half hour of finishing, I was always OK.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Depends on what and where I'm running. If its a loop it's the first if it's out and back it's the end. Not sure why.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    May I ask you runners another question?

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?

I considered myself a runner from my first race, really.

I hated it for the first 6 months, when I only went once a week. Once I started running more, I enjoyed it.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For me its not the first or the last really its somewhere in the middle that's why I make my runs outside take me far away from my house so i cant just stop in the middle i need to get back home .

To the above poster yes at first I did hate it but then I experienced a runner's high and I just haven't looked back since. Nothing really compares to how you feel after a long run when you were really pushing yourself
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

You're considered a runner when you have both feet off the ground at the same time and moving in a forward motion. Humans have two gaits - running and walking. You're walking when you have one foot on the ground while the other one is off the ground.

Another way to determine if you're a runner vs. a jogger (which is a moot point considering what I just wrote) is whether or not you stop to pick things up while you're on your run. Pffft ... I don't stop for anything less than paper money. Therefore I am a runner. If I was out for stroll, I'd pick up any denomination of money. :smile:

Also, runners have a destination. Joggers just go aimlessly about. :smile:

Lastly, if you're reading this post you're a runner because the OP's topic is "Question for runners...."
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    On a long run of 8 miles and up, I find the SECOND TO LAST mile to be the worst!! The first one is fun for me -- it's a warm-up and I'm getting into the groove. The last one I finish on adrenaline and happiness. But I think the second to last one is so tough mentally because you're SO CLOSE to the end, yet still a little far.