Question for runners...

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    May I ask you runners another question?

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?

I never hated running, but it was so hard for me at first and I hated how out of shape I was...
    I started feeling like a real runner when I could run a mile without stopping...but I've now completed a half marathon and there are still days when I doubt that I am a "real" runner :blushing:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The first mile is difficult, by the 3rd mile I feel like I can run forever, and it starts to get difficult again around mile 7 or 8.

I felt like a runner the first time I ran in bad weather because, well... it was a run day and that's what I do. I don't mind a little rain so long as no thunderstorms are in the area.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    On a regular run - the first half (or bit more) mile. But, on my longest runs (longest 13 miles so far), definitley the last mile or two when my legs are just so tired and I have to run uphill to get home. That's hard!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I usually start slow and finish fast on my training runs - neg splits all the way. Until I crack a sweat (about 2 miles in) I move pretty slow.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering my question. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, you just all seem to be experienced runners. I hope to get there someday.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There are those who run 26 miles in just over 2 hours. I guess they are serious runners. I think of myself as a recreational runner, I put in 10-20 miles a week or so. BUT, I'd say anyone who is running more than 2 or 3 times a week can be classified as a runner, regardless of distance.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First couple miles are usually the most difficult by far ... there are those times that I'm in the "zone" and I don't even feel a thing the whole run ... wish those happened more often on race days! ;P
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Every half I have done ... mile 4 is the suck point. I feel awful and I just dont see how I am possibly going to finish. By mile 10 when other people are falling off pace and whining about it .. I am feeling awesome!

My mantra is "as it goes longer, I get stronger" :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's all about you isn't it?? *sigh* ... :)

I never thought I would like running, and when I started it was all for health, nothing out of enjoyment ... For me, like many things in my life, it was a moment. It was the first time (much like today) as it was snowing outside ... I put on my newly purchased warm running gear, laced up, and ran as the snow was hitting my face ... it was only a 2-3 mile run, and I wasn't fast (still ain't) but I was running and thought to myself ... hmm ... I'm a runner! :)

The races really help keep the motivation too ... for all the money I spend on other crap, I figured that for 20-30 bucks a month I'll be racing one race a month in 2012 ... 5ks, 10ks, and even a warrior dash ... gives me something to train for and [for me] there is nothing like finishing a race ... you feel so good!
    Thanks for answering my question. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, you just all seem to be experienced runners. I hope to get there someday.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I hate the first mile! I think it's that crappy mile that makes people think they "can't run"

A while back I was using a new watch one day to time each miles and boy was that first mile slower.... it was then that I realized why the 1 mile warm-up is ESSENTIAL to running your best 5K.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Definitely the first two are the worst and I think about stopping the entire time. Mile five makes me feel like a rockstar and I'm fairly sure I could run forever. Mile seven makes me regret not stopping after five.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    For me it's the first mile. It's so hard to get warmed up and going good.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    MIne is ALWAYS the first mile, after that I could run forever :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Definately the first one!! My last is usually my best, cuz I m loose and pumped!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    first mile seems forever for me.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half-marathon last may and that 1.1km at the end was the longest of my LIFE! It was insane how long that felt!

Usually though, it takes me a few minutes to get my mojo going.
  • mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The first 3 miles for me are the WORST. I know I just have to push myself beyond those 3 and ill be fine, but MAN some days its really mentally rough!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    My first mile is my longest and hardest. After my legs are warmed up, I am good to go.

I just started running in August. I run every other day or sometimes allow myself 2 days between runs. I consider myself a runner now. I ran my first 5K in November and will run a 10k in March. I ran 5 miles this morning which was my furthest run yet. I think if you are running with any regularity, you are a runner.

I love it. I loved it from week 3. As soon as I convinced myself that I was really doing it and really could do it, I loved it.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bump! just finished my c25k training... need info to get better at it...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    May I ask you runners another question?

How long did it take you to consider yourself runners? Did you start out hating it? If so, at what point did you stop hating it?

for me it wasnt my first race it was more when I did it week after week and I started buying running gear and my mileage increased! When I started feeling like I was pushing myself and getting stronger! I hated it at first when I had severe shin splints, and couldnt run more than a minute or two without stopping! But when I finished that first mile without stopping, and I knew that I could take it 1 mile at a time and couldnt stop running, I knew I was a "Runner"