DEADLIFTS

Options
Any power gusy out there?

When I deadlift I use the rack on the outside. So I grab from rack, satep back 1 to 2 steps and then start from up top and go.
I feel this is not right, I am unsure where I developed this habit but I did.

question is
Is this wrong?
Is this right?

I am debating about switching it up and pulling from the ground.

Off rack I was able to pull 395 but from ground just 365

OOOOFA

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    There's not really a "right" or "wrong" answer but you're actually describing two different deadlifts - rack (starting upward from the rack position) and standard barbell deadlift (from the ground). A rack DL will allow a higher weight as you're not lifting the full "distance" from the ground.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i personally do the standard deadlift, lifting from the ground.

i did 305 the other day. woop!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I take off rack, duck walk back like a dummy(1 step back) and then do a full deadlift. I dont do inside cage with bars or anything
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I go standard DL from the ground. It seems classic and straight forward. Either you can pick it up, or not.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I take off rack, duck walk back like a dummy(1 step back) and then do a full deadlift. I dont do inside cage with bars or anything

This is basically what I do. I load up the weight while the bar is on the lowest point of the rack, pick it up and hold the bar at my waist, walk back a couple of steps...

Then I put it down on the ground. I actually start deadlifting after I put the bar on the ground, but I don't lower it to the ground all the way each time...if that makes sense? My lower back tends to curl under if I go all the way down because I have long legs for most people might height, no matter how heavy or light the weight is. I prefer sumo deadlifts as it gets more hammies and less lower back while working both, but I lower *almost* to the ground without touching it until that last rep when I am putting the weight down. Then after my last set, I will lift it up and set it on the rack to remove the plates.

I guess as long as you are doing your deadlifts with good form, it shouldn't matter too much how you are starting out.
  • blakeman187
    Options

^^This^^
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also do the standard DL from the ground. I'd never even heard of doing one from a rack O.o
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

^^This^^

Much easier to control form that way.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    I can see doing it from the rack and walking with it being a good way to injure yourself if you lose concentration for a moment or even stumble a little. I have always done them from the ground.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Loading/unloading weights from a deadlift bar on the ground. Put a little 2.5lb weight under the 1st weight. so all the other weights are off the ground. They all slip off easy.

Much better than loading and walking a fully loaded dead lift bar.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    1. One definitely should do them from the ground.
    2. One ought to set the weight all the way down between reps and give your body a bit of a rest between reps, even if it's just a second.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine waddle walking with my 1rm at all! Definitely seems like an injury waiting to happen.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

OOOOFA

i resent this. Just because i'm female doesn't mean I can't kick your *kitten* with some weights. >: / I'm bitter about men thinking women are inferior in the weight room.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options

OOOOFA

i resent this. Just because i'm female doesn't mean I can't kick your *kitten* with some weights. >: / I'm bitter about men thinking women are inferior in the weight room.

Or just realize "guys" is a generic term.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I can't imagine waddle walking with my 1rm at all! Definitely seems like an injury waiting to happen.

I don't know about the others, but I personally wasn't talking about my 1 RM. I do 5 sets of 5 with the same weight on heavy days and 3 sets of 8 with moderate weight on the second lower body day of the week. It's really no different than putting your squat weight on your traps, then walking backward a couple of steps to clear the rack pins, then setting your feet, etc. and then squatting and "waddle walking" back to rack the bar again.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

OOOOFA

I don't get how the OP thought that at all??? YOU assumed that, therefore it's on YOUR mind...not anyone else's who answered the thread.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a rack pull, lol a deadlift starts "dead" from the ground. You'll be able to lift more from the rack though because there's a shorter range of motion.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think I started this back in the day when I was wet behind the ears for convenience factor when loading the weight. Its normal now for me. But watching vids and what not you can see what the advantages are when you start "dead". Expanding the abs, flexing the back, take your huge breath in and working the form. I have plan sof a 500 lb deadlift so now chaning I feel is a set back. But you know what, I gotta man up and do it right. I am going to ditch the load up rack lift and walk backwards crap. I was struggling with some back issues too so the dead pull from ground was difficult. I feel I am putting that little injury/setback behind me.

Mleigh. If you can match just 1 of the 5 major lifts with me then I will switch my title! BRING IT
    Kdding of course. I just meant guys like the others said. I see some bad *kitten* ladies in the gym. I hope I didn't just stick my foot in my mouth cause that avatar looks leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegit!

lol

Nice post guys/gals. Thanks
  • lakersfan4life
    Options
    im looking into getting straps to use for deadlifts.

any advice or tips on using them and any particular style brand or are they all the same?
  • lakersfan4life
    Options
    bumpity bump