DEADLIFTS

Options
2»

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    if you don't NEED straps, don't use them. They detract from some of the benefits you get from the lift. You oughtn't need straps until you are pulling well over 300. If you're there, and need them...well, I can't help you lol. I'm not there yet. If you can't hold the bar with a regular overhand grip, try an alternating grip before you go to straps.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    im looking into getting straps to use for deadlifts.

any advice or tips on using them and any particular style brand or are they all the same?

use chalk instead
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lift off the ground as well. there is too much traffic around the stands and there isn't a clear view of the mirror there (to check form) so I have to move the bar to another part of the floor.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

any advice or tips on using them and any particular style brand or are they all the same?

I just use the standard white cloth wrist wraps you can get at ****s or any other sporting store.
    I hear alot of ppl say that its cheating, well I use to agree with that and maybe I do today but I don't care. Whats the big deal?
    I did 315 for 10 the other day and 365 for 2. Trying to get to 4 plates which is 405. Am I weak for using wrist wraps? O well
    My swollen back after the seat of 315 didn't agree!!!
    Keep pushing everyone!

PS
    I have abandoned pullling off the rack and have been pulling from the floor!
    Thanks for everyone who posted on here.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options

use chalk instead

OMG chalk is awesome. Somoene left by rack one day and I was amazed how it just sticks in your hands!
    lil Messy but no doubt is an awesome tool
    I use both! double cheater!
  • Ipster
    Ipster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/how-to-set-up-to-deadlift-properly/

Here is a great video by one of the top trainers out there.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    great post

thanks
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I went over/under grip after my grip started to fail me on higher rep sets and 1RM. The over/under is starting to fail me as I use higher weights. Getting 8-10 reps is a struggle.

I was trying to avoid getting straps, but several articles I've read say all the olympic lifters train with them. Your grip muscles get tired much quicker than the muscles needed for deadlifts....thus, straps are useful for training. I'll be picking up a pair on the way to the gym today.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I went over/under grip after my grip started to fail me on higher rep sets and 1RM. The over/under is starting to fail me as I use higher weights. Getting 8-10 reps is a struggle.

I was trying to avoid getting straps, but several articles I've read say all the olympic lifters train with them. Your grip muscles get tired much quicker than the muscles needed for deadlifts....thus, straps are useful for training. I'll be picking up a pair on the way to the gym today.

There is no doubt in my mind that using straps is the way to go. The body part you are working is still getting crushed! BACK/TRAPS
    When you start pulling in the ranges fo 350-450 and on on on
    Your going to need something
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

There is no doubt in my mind that using straps is the way to go. The body part you are working is still getting crushed! BACK/TRAPS

i'm going to disagree
    if your one rep max is 450 lbs then you should be strong enough to hold onto the bar for the time needed to complete the rep without using straps.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i'm going to disagree
    if your one rep max is 450 lbs then you should be strong enough to hold onto the bar for the time needed to complete the rep without using straps.

I never wanted to even switch my grip, but literally added 70-100 pounds just by going to over/under. After that, I was convinced that I would never get straps because I didn't feel I needed them and felt that if my grip strength should catch up as I do more weight.

Now the problem is that I'll lose my grip as I get higher in sets (moreso than on 1RM). I know I can bang more reps out and max lift more if I could hold onto the bar. So I'm gonna try em.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I do both. Some days I do rack deads so I can up the weight a bit more, and other days I do true deadlifts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ambrogio1
    Options

i'm going to disagree

Some can go along without straps. I am not one. I can progress and go ahead with much more weight with straps so I choose too. For some reason my deadlift is the weakest lift not sure, trying to perfect. I did 315 for 10 with no straps but when I get over that I need them. I see no shame in using them. I lifting for me not for anyone else and it fits me. I use to pull from rack too but that felt like cheating to me. I start form up top and for some reason I can pull alot more, I could probably do sets with 405 when I Start at the top but I can't pull from ground yet.

And I am 180, just a wee little guy! lol
    Sunday I get 405.