RED MEAT?

Options
I havent had red meat in soooooooo long? It used to make me feel bad, so I stopped eating it. But the taste of red meat is bliss. I want a burger and steak, something serious. Lol. I would like to know how often people on here take in red meat? To help me gauge my intake.

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Usually about 3-4 times per week. It's honestly not bad for you if you get the right cuts.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We eat red meat most days. Agreed that if you get the right cuts, it is very good for you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Every other day, maybe, on average. But if it makes you feel bad then I don't think it's going to be very helpful to know how often other people eat it... you probably need to experiment to see what works for you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A lot. Maybe 4-5 days a week. Yummy.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as often as I would like. I had well over a pound of it yesterday, and I'm eating a half pound cheeseburger as I type this.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    3 to 4 days a week, probably, fitting it into my goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would guess that we eat red meat 2 - 4 times a month.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Probabaly 3-4 times a week - there are too many yummy things not to!!
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    just wondering what everyones choice of cuts? What are the best cuts of red meat?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    just wondering what everyones choice of cuts? What are the best cuts of red meat?
    I used this site my buddy told me about called "Google", and found this article from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cuts-of-beef/MY01387
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I don't eat pork at all, and beef only once every 3 to 6 months. I don't like how it makes me feel either, it just makes me very irritable, impatient and angry for some reason.
    I get that way when I don't eat red meat.
  • watergirl626
    Options
    We buy the big chunk of top sirloin from Costco and then cut it up at home, trimming it even more, and then cutting it into the size steaks, roasts, stir fry chunks, etc that we want. Cost efficient too. We eat a lot of ground beef. We brown it all at once, drain off the grease, and then freeze it in 1 lb portions.
  • watergirl626
    Options
    I don't eat pork at all, and beef only once every 3 to 6 months. I don't like how it makes me feel either, it just makes me very irritable, impatient and angry for some reason.

I guess the question for the OP would be, does it make you feel bad, i.e. symptomatic like this, or does it make you feel bad as in guilt, i.e. somebody told me red meat is bad, so I feel bad eating it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Once a week, we eat mainly chicken, turkey and fish other days.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat it about 4 times a week. I try to get local grass-fed when I am not too broke :smile:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had any for a while, definitely take it easy on the firt thing you eat, a big cheeseburger might not be your best bet. I took a break from red meat for a while (probably about 3-4 months, still occasionally eating chicken) and when I went back, I got really sick at first. I think it has something to do with the digestive enzymes- if you don't eat much meat, you produce less of the enzymes to digest meat, so suddently introducing a lot back into your diet won't give your body time to re-adjust. At least that's what I heard, nto sure on the exact science, but either way don't over do it.

By the way I've also heard that the part of the reason human meat eaters have higher risks of cancer than their vegetarian counterparts in comparison to other species is because of the length of our digestive tracks. For example, a dog's digestive track is about 4 times shorter than a humans (= they poop stuff out a lot faster). Because the meat spends significantly less time sitting around in their intestines, the dog's bodies don't absorb as much of the bad stuff in the meat as a human would (hormones injected into the meat, animal antibiotics and steriods, etc., etc.). Meat is also one of the slowest foods to move through the human digestive track (if you don't believe me, eat a steak for dinner one day, then a salad the next, see which comes out faster). So especially if you eat a lot of meat, whenever possible, go for organic and locally raised. It might not be as expensive as you think either- there's a guy at my local farmer's market who always has excellent cuts at prices competitive with huge grocery store chains because he saves so much by keeping everything local.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel bad, don't eat it.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    None
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I eat it 3-4 days a week. I choose leaner cuts and usually grill it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    if you include kangaroo, then pretty much every day.