I want to be a Runner!

13»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I always wanted to be a runner too. Now I'm a pretend runner. I have completed a full and two half marathons as well as other races. What really helped me was I signed up for a race three months out. I refused to not meet my goal of running it. So I committed. It literally was one foot in front of the other. When I wanted to walk, I picked a further point to run too before I walked. I wasn't fast and I never told anyone around me that I was running. Now everyone identifies me as a runner it will be 2 years of running in February. I am still not fast. And I am still not perfect but I run and love every minute of it.

My other suggestion is read everything you can get your hands on about running. You will fall in love with the runners world. Not to mention runners are by far the kindest and most gracious people you will ever find. They are nothing but helpful and all really do want you to succeed.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Not to mention runners are by far the kindest and most gracious people you will ever find. They are nothing but helpful and all really do want you to succeed.
    ^^ This is really so true.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    I never did the C25K, but when I was fat and still trying to get in shape, I couldn't run 1/3 a mile without stopping, now, 2 years+ later I can go for about 7 miles non-stop. I don't think i'll ever be able to do a marathon, but I'm happy with where I am, running-wise. Just keep at it and you'll become a runner in no time.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    I just finished week5 day 3 which is running for 20 minutes straight! I never.thought I would be able to run that long. I am excited to continue and run longer....I have never been a runner or enjoyed it but when I start a program, I finish...and.deep down inide it gives me a great sense of accomplishment!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Go for it. Don’t wait any longer. Even a short distance will make you feel great after you finish.

I didn’t do any specific program. I just went outside and tried to run a little. I jogged very slowly and for short period of time at the beginning. It felt awkward. I was heavy and completely out of shape when I started. It was hard and I felt the weight every step I took. It didn’t make it easier that I had to get up a half hour earlier. But every time I forced myself do to it, I was proud of myself and was rewarded with a fantastic feeling after I finished.

I slowly increased the distance until I could run one mile without stopping. After a few weeks I did something unthinkable. I signed up for 5K and on 9/18/11 I showed up, and ran the whole distance without stopping. It felt great after I crossed the finish line. Incredible thing happened after I completed my first official 5K race. I knew that I wanted to do another 5K soon. I did it on 11/13/11 and by then I knew that I was in love with running.

I am writing about myself to show you that what you want to do is possible because I was like you.

Again, go for it. You can start tomorrow. Go outside. Warm up a little and then walk, run a little-bit, walk. Even if the running part is 10-15 seconds, it will give you motivation to do it again the next day. And every day you do it, you will love the feeling when you finish.
  • ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Thanks everyone, I am going to start on Jan 2, and do my runs on Mon, Wed, and Fridays. I have till then to get menus together and a schedule together to start. I can't wait. I will have to wait about 2 weeks before I can purchase some new shoes but I do have some nikes that I wear. They will have to do till then. I want to start the new year with a bang. :) anyone want to join in please feel free too. Thanks again for all the info. C25K it is.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    I just came here to post this same topic. Glad to hear so much praise for C25k. I tried it a few years ago and it was very difficult and painful for me. I'm hoping that things will be better with some weight off. Plus, now I can use a podcast on my phone....if I can figure out how.
    thanks!