Replies

• Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with @ BrettPGH
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Awesome Primal dinner - I will definitely be making this soon! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    OMG...foodgasm
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    Hmmm.. somethings fishy about this post. Looks good.. but def not healthy.

Low carbers. To them steak wrapped in cheese and bacon is fine. But add a wheat roll to it and they'll tell you you're killing yourself.

If the ingredients are high quality - the steak is grass fed, the cheese is organic raw milk, and the bacon is uncured - then this is a very healthy meal. Low blood sugar, no huge insulin response, and lots of protein and healthy fat from which to fuel.

And come flame me all you like, but the whole wheat roll was sure as Hell killing me.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    4 servings my *kitten*!! That looks like one serving to me! LOL Now I gotta go wipe the tongue tracks from my monitor... :tongue:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    This dish makes 4 servings and keeps great in the fridge to be used as left overs for the rest of the week.

HA! As IF there would be leftovers!
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Low carbers. To them steak wrapped in cheese and bacon is fine. But add a wheat roll to it and they'll tell you you're killing yourself.

No, you might not be killing yourself, but for me it would be killing myself. After an exhaustive metabolic panel, my doctor explained to me that calorie for calorie, fat is far healthier for me than carbs. For some of us, this really IS health food. Add a couple generous sides of non-starchy veggies, and this meal is pretty much dead-on for nutrition for me.

Many of us following low/slow carb lifestyles have very real reasons for doing so. While it's not a panacea, the low/slow lifestyle can work for people with the right metabolism, especially those who feel constantly starved on standard-carb diets.

I know that low/slow carb isn't for everyone, but it sure gets frustrating when that segment of the community cannot have a meaningful discussion about our approach without ridicule. Maybe we can share our ideas openly for a change?
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    :smile: I do believe I know what I'm having 4 servings of for dinner tonight! Yumm, and thanks so much for posting!
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    SinorSlim: Question - does the safflower oil make a difference? I only have extra virgin organic coconut oil. Didn't know if this would work in frying it or not.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options

No, you might not be killing yourself, but for me it would be killing myself. After an exhaustive metabolic panel, my doctor explained to me that calorie for calorie, fat is far healthier for me than carbs. For some of us, this really IS health food. Add a couple generous sides of non-starchy veggies, and this meal is pretty much dead-on for nutrition for me.

Many of us following low/slow carb lifestyles have very real reasons for doing so. While it's not a panacea, the low/slow lifestyle can work for people with the right metabolism, especially those who feel constantly starved on standard-carb diets.

I know that low/slow carb isn't for everyone, but it sure gets frustrating when that segment of the community cannot have a meaningful discussion about our approach without ridicule. Maybe we can share our ideas openly for a change?

Thank you so much for stating that so well. Friend request en route. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Sharing ideas is fine. And if low-carb works for you, cool. But the problem is when you (not you particularly, but whoever) starts telling us that carbs are a bad idea for everyone.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    *drool*

We are having Epic Bacon New Years Eve Party... Everything made with Bacon... This looks like it would be a nice addition, and a huge party hit!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    FOR MACRO NUTRIENT BREAKDOWN AND MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES CHECK OUT www.sinorslim.com !
    [/quote]

I think you have to go here guys!
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    *drool*

We are having Epic Bacon New Years Eve Party... Everything made with Bacon... This looks like it would be a nice addition, and a huge party hit!

Um... can I come?? ;) LOL
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ONLY 70 calories a bite! I think that is a great deal, and with all that protein I bet only a few fill you right up! Love it, thanks and will deff try this. I had a feeling this was on the Paleo(?) or Primal side.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    *drool*

Um... can I come?? ;) LOL

Me too! :happy:
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Sharing ideas is fine. And if low-carb works for you, cool. But the problem is when you (not you particularly, but whoever) starts telling us that carbs are a bad idea for everyone.

I understand the frustration with the low-carb zealots who try to justify it as the only valid lifestyle. We face it all the time with users who reply to our posts with comments like, "I avoid sugar by eating trons of it," and "Dr. Atkins is dead, so how could his approach possibly be?" Ignorance comes from both sides.

That said, it often feels like we are not welcome to share our suggestions at all, which is not cool. When someone complains that they cannot feel full with their calorie allotment for the day, I am likely to suggest to them that a low/slow carb approach could be beneficial. I am also then likely to be told that my approach is crap and then have it implied that I am a fool.

For all of its many, many strengths, MFP is not really accommodating, as a default tool or as a community, to those following anything but the government-recommended macro-nutrient spread. The tool can be customized by the individual user, but my experience has been that the community has not been very understanding of those walking a different path to fitness.

The gross majority of low/slow carb lifestylers on MFP seem to have a very live-and-let-live approach, but it often feels like we are bring lumped in with the few who espouse it as an all-or-nothing lifestyle. My original response was even to a comment from a user who felt the need to make fun of low/slow carb dieters in a thread specifically targeted at them. I am sure the fellow is normally a perfectly reasonable person, but the community seems to view people on low/slow carb diets as a valid target for mockery.

I don't expect any of this to change over night, but I do feel that open, friendly dialog would benefit the community far more than the current climate does.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My wife and I celebrate a wedding anniversary January 1! I will make this for her (me!) ... :)
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options

If the ingredients are high quality - the steak is grass fed, the cheese is organic raw milk, and the bacon is uncured - then this is a very healthy meal. Low blood sugar, no huge insulin response, and lots of protein and healthy fat from which to fuel.

And come flame me all you like, but the whole wheat roll was sure as Hell killing me.

No flaming from me! Low carbing has saved my life as well. Thanks for speaking up!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yum. Thanks!