Best Protein Powder

Options
I am looking into buying a protein powder and have NO idea where to start. I look at the shelves at the store and am so overwhelmed!
I want a vanilla flavored powder that I can incorporate into smoothies and a chocolate flavored one that I can drink alone so the chocolate will have to taste great.
I was going to buy the Biggest Loser brand powder but I did a search on here and that brand didn't get such great reviews. HELP!!

Replies

• laurenbr17
    Options
    Try anything with low sugar and low cholesterol. GNC has a line that is low in both of these but doesn't taste the best. But if you go to there and ask for a powder low in both of these but high in protein, they'll get a good one.
  • elizabeth1222
    Options
    try Naturade total soy from (Sams)
    they have chocolate or vanilla I love the vanilla flavor:drinker:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) makes a line of all natural protein powders ... and they're pretty darn tasty too! I order mine from Amazon.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i really like the jay robb whey protein i have been taking. it's expensive but has such a great taste. i have the chocolate and going to get the pina colada next. i have heard that about optimum but not ready to make the switch yet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    try Naturade total soy from (Sams)
    they have chocolate or vanilla I love the vanilla flavor:drinker:

Soy is great if you are vegan or used to eating soy protein but be careful if you arent used to it. this stuff can turn to concrete in your colon thus making your lower GI hate you for a week.
  • xirrin
    Options
    Dymatize Whey Isolate is very popular and I think has the best flavor out of everything I've ever had. I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GOY6Z0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GOUAVY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=039WPQAA33GWE7B6K20J
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love Syntha 6 vanilla. Haven't tried the chocolate.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein (Gold Standard) is the best. I have tried others and they are always too gritty, to artificial sweetener tasting ets. This is the smoothest and taste great.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb chocolate and vanilla. They both taste pretty good. It's more expensive but worth it to me.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really like Myofusion (157 cals for 25g of protein). The chocolate is great. I haven't tried the vanilla, but I'm sure its good. Cookies and cream is my favorite though.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I've been using the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein for a few months. It's 26g of protein per half-scoop, the vanilla tastes pretty good and mixes well as a shake/smoothie, and also when mixed into stuff like Greek yogurt.

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to mention, you can buy the stuff for around $15 at Wal-Mart.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You want the grams of total protein to be 80% or higher of total grams. I also look at the calories and try to keep it as low calories as possible. One of my favs is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate. It is 130 calories for one scoop and 30 g of protein. I get it at Walmart.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein (Gold Standard) is the best. I have tried others and they are always too gritty, to artificial sweetener tasting ets. This is the smoothest and taste great.
    I agree with this completely. ON makes the best Whey in my opinion. I recommend purchasing it through Amazon if you have a Prime account, that way you get free shipping and it makes the overall cost much less!

I would also like to recommend Casein protein if you're looking for meal replacements, it takes much longer for your body to absorb all the protein and is very filling!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    best I've found is Myofusion, by Gaspari Nutrition. Cheaper than a lot, and mixes very well.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard! (dont get the cake batter flavor though.. Im chocking through 5 lbs of the stuff!) its cheaper if you order it on Amazon!
  • KCharron20
    Options
    Love GNC's Amp protein powder. Great for post workout. Tastes great and I find I'm nowhere near as sore the next day. It's expensive but I find well worth it and I only use 1 scoop after each workout.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    As most have said Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% whey is the way to go! :D

Mixes and tastes amazing! And I have tried many many different ones
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to be a loyal Optimum Nutrition user....until I tried Jay Robb. I've tried the Jay Robb chocolate, vanilla, and tropical dreamsicle - the taste is 100x better than any other brands I've tried. I realized after using the Jay Robb protein that even Optimum Nutrition had a "chemical" taste to it.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    several of my friends and the trainers at my gym all recommend Gold Standard 100% whey protien.