RIDICULOUS.

Options
I will sound like a broken record...Have been whining about my plateau for MONTHS...Found the scale (had given it to big Daddy to hide...But an addict will do anything to find her fix) and guess what?

Started last January 23rd and lost 25 pounds by August.

SINCE THEN I HAVE GAINED 5 POUNDS.

5 F-IN POUNDS!!!

Zig-zagging, changing my workouts, eating my exercise calories,not eating them, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!

I have NEVER been so active and so honest with what I eat and am FAILING...

I AM SO CLOSE OF THROWING THE TOWEL.

Signed " Obviously it's not as easy as counting calories, exercising and drinking more water..."

Replies

• jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I will sound like a broken record...Have been whining about my plateau for MONTHS...Found the scale (had given it to big Daddy to hide...But an addict will do anything to find her fix) and guess what?

Started last January 23rd and lost 25 pounds by August.

SINCE THEN I HAVE GAINED 5 POUNDS.

5 F-IN POUNDS!!!

Zig-zagging, changing my workouts, eating my exercise calories,not eating them, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!

I have NEVER been so active and so honest with what I eat and am FAILING...

I AM SO CLOSE OF THROWING THE TOWEL.

Signed " Obviously it's not as easy as counting calories, exercising and drinking more water..."

I have been on a plateau for months gaining a losing the same 3 lbs, but I started measure every other week and I may be the same weight but I have lost 3 inches around my waist.
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    its important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so try measuring instead of weighing to see if there's a difference!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and what are your macros?
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? I have found that when I am very active I lose inches but no pounds. The scale can be your friend and your enemy. If you are losing inches, then your body is responding to all of your hard work! Have you noticed any difference in the way your clothes fit? The clothes do not lie......
  • LSab21
    Options
    first of all, be proud of your weight loss! you look gorgeous.

second of all, try eating your exercise calories. your body could be responding poorly to the lack of calories you consume (called "starvation mode" and is your body's evolutionary response to a lack of nutrients in your system.)

third of all, please do not give up, you have worked so hard, and although it is normal to want to quit, just don't. :) You owe it to yourself.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You need to open up your food diary so that we can see what you're eating and how much exercising you are doing.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress enough the importance of taking measurements. If you are replacing muscle with fat who cares what scale says?
    How do your clothes feel? How do YOU feel?
    There are many more important factors of getting healthy. Try not to become a victim of the scale. You have to get it in your mind that the number on that little devil does not matter. Until you retrain your brain to believe that you will not truly be happy with yourself.
    Trust me on this.
    Hang in there and do not quit. Go back to how you felt when you started this journey. What made you want to lose weight. Re-evaluate those feelings. Look at some old pictures.
    You CAN do this. No one said it was going to be easy.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hello! :happy:

Don't give up! You've worked too hard. I HATE my scale!!! I've actually gained 8 pounds back in the last several months. Yet I've worked out a lot and ate rather well for the last few months. After losing almost 20 in the last 2 years.

My jeans are fitting better again, but the scale isn't as attractive...........BUT I don't care. I'd rather gain muscle and have my jeans looser than be a few pounds lighter. I want to be healthy and lean. So as mentally frustrating as it, I'm working through it.

You can do it! :flowerforyou: That scale is a devilish little monster and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit first. :wink:
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's what I was going to say! lol Have you taken your measurements? Maybe you have gained muscle and not fat? Check to see if clothes are looser and definitely take a set of measurements and compare over time. Unless you are eating more calories than you realize I can't imagine it's not working. Also, I don't know you but you might want to get your thyroid checked too. I found out mine was all wonked out and once I went on medicine and was regulated I started losing like crazy once I changed my lifestyle that is. Good Luck and don't throw in the towel. It's always better to live healthy! :)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress enough the importance of taking measurements. If you are replacing muscle with fat who cares what scale says?
    How do your clothes feel? How do YOU feel?
    There are many more important factors of getting healthy. Try not to become a victim of the scale. You have to get it in your mind that the number on that little devil does not matter. Until you retrain your brain to believe that you will not truly be happy with yourself.
    Trust me on this.
    Hang in there and do not quit. Go back to how you felt when you started this journey. What made you want to lose weight. Re-evaluate those feelings. Look at some old pictures.
    You CAN do this. No one said it was going to be easy.

GREAT response. :)
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Agreed, it would help if your journal were public so we could see what you are eating! I feel many people a) do not eat enough (1200 calories... I'll never go back to that again) and b) do not eat high quality foods. I have found that simply eating whole, unprocessed foods, and eating more (LOTS) of them, has helped me tremendously.

Good luck!
  • amanda_lessofme
    amanda_lessofme Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First thing that pops into my head is are your hormones balanced? Is your blood sugar under control?

Women with hormonal imbalances (including insulin insensitivity) can go on very strict calorie diets and still gain weight.

Have you talked to your family doc about it? Print out a week (or more) of food and exercise diaries and go see him/her. If I'd been consistently putting in the effort for four months and not seeing the results I should be seeing, then that's what'd I do.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    didnt see it mentioned but have you had your thyroid checked?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Join the club. Somehow I have managed to gain 10lbs and am only 10lbs away from where I originally started. BUT I wear a smaller size now and my endurance has increased tenfold.

Try looking at progress other than weight... it may help to show you where you've really come.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    1) The scale is the enemy
    2) The scale is the enemy
    3) THE SCALE IS THE ENEMY

I used to weigh in a lot, and now I only do every so often to help track. Instead, I've based my successes off how I feel, how I look, and where I've lost fat and got leaner or gained muscle. Do NOT give up! That number is not everything!
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    OP check out the "metabolism miracle" (insulin resistance or whatever you what to call it) thread that is a few down from this one. maybe that is you? just a thought.....
    s/
    a fellow frustrated w/ cals in/cals out= zero results person.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    First, take a deep breath. Did you measure yourself at the beginning of this journey? Are you measuring yourself now? Put the scale away and forget about it for now. Measurements will be a better guideline and will show you if you are making progress. BTW, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. One pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh exactly one pound. :wink:

Do you measure your food? Do you taste while cooking? Do you have a heart rate monitor so you are accurately recording how many calories you are actually burning each day? Most people underestimate what they are eating and overestimate how many calories they are burning. Do you vary your foods and your exercise routine? If you do the same thing and eat the same thing over and over, your body will get bored and used to what you are doing. Mix it up!

If you are accurately measuring your intake and have accurate numbers for calories burned, take a "diet" break for a week to 10 days. That will almost always break a plateau. It is discouraging, but being overweight is worse. Hang in there and don't give up!
  • ricardo40
    Options
    Just been on here a week and gained 2 pounds lol I'll keep at it though..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Could be worse.

I wish I could experience a plateau, but I just keep gaining.
  • kisser1212
    Options
    My nutritionist says (women) can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a DAY in water weight!

Also, take a look if you have been doing anything different. August was 4 months ago - at least 16 weeks. 5 lbs in 16 weeks is not that much... only .3 lbs a week. That is only a difference of 1090 calories a week or about 150 calories a day!! Everything can add up if we are not diligent!!