RIDICULOUS.

Options

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    its important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so try measuring instead of weighing to see if there's a difference!
    Technically, 1 lb muscles = 1 lb of fat, so muscles does weigh the same as fat. I think you were referring to volume, in that muscle takes up less space than fat. So even if the scale isn't moving (or moving in the wrong direction), it may be time to look at measurements to see the overall picture of weight loss.

Depending on the time of day (and time of month) women can fluctuate 3-5 or more pounds. Weigh first thing in the am, after using the toilet, and before showering, with nothing on, to give you your most acurate weight. Also, make sure TOM's not visiting as that will throw off your weight. I always skip a weigh-in week when TOM is around *ugh*!

Secondly, if you're not tracking sodium, I would start tracking it. Excess sodium can cause 1-3+ lbs of water weight and if you're not drinking enough water to flush the excess sodium this could be part of the culprit.

Hope this helps!
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First thing that pops into my head is are your hormones balanced? Is your blood sugar under control?

Women with hormonal imbalances (including insulin insensitivity) can go on very strict calorie diets and still gain weight.

Have you talked to your family doc about it? Print out a week (or more) of food and exercise diaries and go see him/her. If I'd been consistently putting in the effort for four months and not seeing the results I should be seeing, then that's what'd I do.

I agree ... I would go to the doctor and see if everything is working right. Get a test done to check cholesteral, fats, sugars, etc. And taking a print out of your journal is great advice!
  • klinker458
    Options
    Have you lost inches? Is your size going down? I have HUGE weight fluctuations, as much as 10 lbs in less than a week. So I tried to stop fixating on my weight, I try to judge more by how my clothes fit. Can't say I've given the scale up completely but it really doesn't bother me like it use too. Just a suggestion.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, especially the suggestion of taking your logs and going over them with your doctor. One more suggestion: double check portion sizes. I have been burned several times - the portion sizes on things like cereal etc are not correct on the boxes - eg it says there are 8 portions of 1 cup but somehow I eat 4 1 cup servings and the box is empty. (I guess that's because "settling of contents may occur LOL).
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    its important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so try measuring instead of weighing to see if there's a difference!

lol this always cracks me up, muscle does not weight more than fat - 1 pound equals 1 pound period! Muscle has less mass so it appears smaller but weighs the same!
  • Have you measured your waist, hips, arms, etc? Its a very likely that you could be losing inches and not pounds. Thats what is happening to me right now - I've lost 2 inches off my waist, but since its mostly muslce I've only lost like .5 pounds from it, not even. And to me, inches are far more important than numbers on the scale. Just a thought :-)

Plateaus are rough - I've been in a 6 month rut. Its hard, but you have to keep pushing on and remember that you are not only doing this to look better, but you're doing this for your health so you can live longer and live happier. Good luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Signed " Obviously it's not as easy as counting calories, exercising and drinking more water..."
    Actually, it is indeed baring any medical issues. Or maybe the gods are angry with you...lol

Seriously, the key is finding the problem that's internal - not looking for some external.
    Our bodies are the one thing we have 100% control of. The government can't tax somebody else's health and redistribute it like they do wealth.

So, we are in control.
    And once a person takes total and complete ownership of their fitness, then he or she becomes empowered to affect change.

As for your situation, find out what YOU are doing wrong. People here can toss out advice like candy, but you and ONLY YOU are the author of your outstanding health goals - NEVER GIVE UP!

My guess is that you've stalled the intensity of your workouts or not making good decisions about food choices.
    Or you're logging in house work as cardio or something foolish like that. Who knows?

Just find the problem and focus on victory. If a slob like me can do it, anybody can.

Good Luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

lol this always cracks me up, muscle does not weight more than fat - 1 pound equals 1 pound period! Mucsle has less mass so it appears smaller but weights the same!
    Muscle weighs more than fat - BY VOLUME!

And that's what people mean.
    BY VOLUME!

A gallon of muscle weights more than a gallon of fat.
    FACT!
  • its important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so try measuring instead of weighing to see if there's a difference!

lol this always cracks me up, muscle does not weight more than fat - 1 pound equals 1 pound period! Mucsle has less mass so it appears smaller but weights the same!
    Muscle weighs more than fat - BY VOLUME!

And that's what people mean.
    BY VOLUME!

A gallon of muscle weights more than a gallon of fat.
    FACT!

^^This. I was trying to figure out how to explain it without being confusing about it.
  • athensguy
    Options

Less mass?

"Muscle weighs more than fat" is in reference to the relative densities of muscle and fat. If you have fat and muscle with the same volume, the muscle will weigh more (have more mass).

Conversely, if you have the same mass of muscle and fat, the muscle will take up less space.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    first off taking measurements is the best way to gauge progress since the scale does have a tendency to lie...too much sodium means water weight..not having (excuse for being rude) a bowel movement...stuff like that

second...as far as your plateu..try giving up carbs, processed foods, and grains..so no corn, rice, flour, ect.

I did that and the pounds dropped. now its not an issue...do it for a month...good luck
  • jplucheck
    Options
    Just been on here a week and gained 2 pounds lol I'll keep at it though..

Don't get discouraged, if you are eating right and enough calories while working out sometimes you see the scale go up before you come down, your body is just stabolizing.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I will sound like a broken record...Have been whining about my plateau for MONTHS...Found the scale (had given it to big Daddy to hide...But an addict will do anything to find her fix) and guess what?

Started last January 23rd and lost 25 pounds by August.

SINCE THEN I HAVE GAINED 5 POUNDS.

5 F-IN POUNDS!!!

Zig-zagging, changing my workouts, eating my exercise calories,not eating them, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!

I have NEVER been so active and so honest with what I eat and am FAILING...

I AM SO CLOSE OF THROWING THE TOWEL.

Signed " Obviously it's not as easy as counting calories, exercising and drinking more water..."

I know you are feeling frustrated, but you have to ask yourself, what will throwing in the towel get you?

We have no idea what you are doing wrong because we can't see what you are doing. Open your diary and maybe we can help.
  • jplucheck
    Options

Less mass?

"Muscle weighs more than fat" is in reference to the relative densities of muscle and fat. If you have fat and muscle with the same volume, the muscle will weigh more (have more mass).

Conversely, if you have the same mass of muscle and fat, the muscle will take up less space.

Yes yes I apologize I am confused, I meant volume not mass but none the less muscle does not weight more then fat pound for pound
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WAIT! Do you know that THE SCALE IS THE DEVIL ~! ? It's true. It is like a friend who means well, but says things that discourage you. Don't stop no matter what. Change, adapt, try different approaches. All the other people here made great suggestions. Fitness is a life long series of discoveries that will all make you happier, have a higher energy level, and a better quality of life. Some things will work and others won't. We are all different. NEVER STOP because you are worth the fight...... : )
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck in a plateau for a while myself - it totally blows.

Try to find something that you can work towards that will help your overall fitness that doesn't have anything to do with the scale.

I did 10 real pushups from the feet and now I'm working on doing an unassisted pull-up. I seem to be losing and gaining the same 3-5 lbs but my clothes fit better and dammit I'm going to do a pull-up one of these days! You can get the same "I met my goal I'm awesome" feeling without touching the scale. Good luck! :)
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to All of you who took the time to read, reply and try to help me out!

I will try to answer all of the questions as best as I can!

1) Open up your food diary so we can help you out!

Am I the only one who considers her diary a very personal thing? Don't get me wrong, not insulted in the least and completely understand why you would want to take a look at it...It is open for my friends but I am not ready to share it with he entire community. It's psychological as I had no problems sharing some progress pics (flab and all!) last week. I will tell you this: I became a vegetarian around March-April of last year (3 months into my journey) and I KNOW I am eating too much starch for dinner...I am the type of body who MELTS when I cut ALL carbs...The problem is that I can't sustain it and then "fall off" the wagon and eat, eat, and eat carbs like a junkie in an alley: It ain't pretty...

That said, I eat about 1500 calories a day (sometimes 1200 and sometimes 1900) NET. When I was on WW, I did great on the Point system which is about 1200 calories a day + your flex points (35points=1750 calories) a week. I might be wrong but eating back your exercise calories was optional on WW (I wasn't as active as I am now...)

I drink soy milk, coconut milk and sometimes regular milk. I drink at least 4 cups a coffee a day and at least 3 diet pepsis a day along with 4 Brita bottles full of water a day. Breakfasts usually include cereal (kashi...sometimes mini-wheats!), toast with jam or eggs...Lunch is usually a salad with eggs or other protein and a yogourt,,,Snacks include fruit and fiber one bars and yogourts and dinner includes your typical average meal like spaguetti, tacos, pizza (homemade or frozen veggie), tofu recipes, stir-frys, ect...

I am ALWAYS hungry at night...

2) What type of exercises do you do?

I use my NordicTrack elliptical at least 4 times a week, do Zumba at least once a week (mostly 2) (latin inspired dance workout) and also do Bikram Yoga every other week.

I think it's important that behind every member is a person with a story....I have 4 and half twin boys who haven't really slept a full night sleep since they were about 6 months...I am an emotional eater who tries to identify the triggers and manage the binges but sometimes I fail...

The reason why I am SO frustrated is because I am right on track at least 80% of the time...Is that 20% sabotaging me to THIS point?

I have also had my thyroid check, blood sugar and other stuff checked out last years as there are LOTS of hyporthyroidism, and diabetes in the family. Although my numbers were "high" there weren't high "enough"...

Maybe it's time to accept MY body can't lose weight with certain foods even though it is within my calorie goal...Sometimes I feel like anything starchy just sticks to my body like glue...

Thanks again,

E
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like anything starchy just sticks to my body like glue...
    you might have answered your own question there. try researching insulin resistance (or any of the other names that condition goes by, your research will discover them all), k?

(i'm no expert- i just started my own research)
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like anything starchy just sticks to my body like glue...
    you might have answered your own question there. try researching insulin resistance (or any of the other names that condition goes by, your research will discover them all), k?

(i'm no expert- i just started my own research)

K :)
  • Twins2007
    Options
    OMG!!

"A skin change called acanthosis nigricans, which is warty-like darkened patches of skin at the neck and armpits, indicates insulin resistance in over 90% of the women who experience it."

http://www.womentowomen.com/insulinresistance/whatisinsulinresistance.aspx?id=1&campaignno=insulinresistance&adgroup=ag1insulinresistance&keywords=insulin+resistance&gclid=CJbB5Yz1pa0CFcZM4AodzB1iQA#symptomsinsulin

Have been wondering for YEARS...Was told it was probably due to my pregnancy....!!