Any tips for Chicken Drumsticks?

Joanneh
Joanneh Posts: 40 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I am looking for something to do with chicken drumsticks that will be relatively low in calories. I am thinking of taking the skin off and roasting them with some spices....any ideas or recipes anyone?

Replies

• Joanneh
    I am looking for something to do with chicken drumsticks that will be relatively low in calories. I am thinking of taking the skin off and roasting them with some spices....any ideas or recipes anyone?
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    This is one of our favorite ways to cook drumsticks. The recipe says leave the skin on, but I have done it with skin off and it still turns out yummy..We make ours with brown rice and roasted broccoli..:tongue:

www.recipezaar.com/Japanese-Mums-Chicken-68955
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

strip all the meat off the bone and givr the meat to the dog
    throw the bones away
    that is what works for me
  • jdlove
    jdlove Posts: 32 Member
    I agree with giving it to the dog. Chicken breast is much better.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    hey now, I love drumsticks!

I roast them too. I usually cook 6 or so at a time, I place them ontop of chopped potatoes and onion, sprinkle with roasemary and squirt a bit on lemon juice over them. Usually I do it in my crockpot, but it'll work in the oven too. :bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    The kids prefer buffalo drumsticks to buffalo wings...

We take the drumsticks and do them in barbeque shake and bake, lay them out on the baking sheet. Sprinkle them lightly with tobasco sauce and bake. Yummmmmmmm I have to admit they are better with skins left on (don't yell at me anyone, I KNOW that's where all the fat and calories come from) than skinless, but they are good either way.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Don't go knocking the dark meat people. Yes it's higher in fat, yes, the calories are higher, but man does it have a lot of good stuff in there. Dark meat chicken has vitamins A, K, B6, B12, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, and minerals like selenium, phosphorus and zinc, all in amounts that are good enough to use by the body (white meat either has very few of these items, or none at all). Also dark meat contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (and some saturated fat)

Now, that being said, you should ALWAYS remove the skin before eating.

As too recipies, how bout a light spray of Ken's Lite Italian dressing while baking. Or how bout a nice dry rub before throwing it on the grill (I love cajun rubs, and most are pretty light on calories).
  • Joanneh
    Guys thanks a lot for all the replies. The Japanese one sounds divine! And does look too bad except for the sugar. Yes I know they are not the healthiest part of the chicken in terms of calories but everything in moderation as they say.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    I think tamtastic posted a great recipe w/panko crumbs for chicken legs
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Don't go knocking the dark meat people. Yes it's higher in fat, yes, the calories are higher, but man does it have a lot of good stuff in there. Dark meat chicken has vitamins A, K, B6, B12, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, and minerals like selenium, phosphorus and zinc, all in amounts that are good enough to use by the body (white meat either has very few of these items, or none at all). Also dark meat contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (and some saturated fat)

ACK...thank you. Fat in food isin't evil, and those vitamins A,D,E,K are fat soluble..meaning without some fat in your diet, you can't use them. Not to mention fat gives you satiety...full longer.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member

ACK...thank you. Fat in food isin't evil, and those vitamins A,D,E,K are fat soluble..meaning without some fat in your diet, you can't use them. Not to mention fat gives you satiety...full longer.

What GLBride01 said and it also makes food taste better!!! :laugh:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member

strip all the meat off the bone and givr the meat to the dog
    throw the bones away
    that is what works for me

:laugh: my sentiments as well, white meat all the way!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    hey now, I love drumsticks!

I roast them too. I usually cook 6 or so at a time, I place them ontop of chopped potatoes and onion, sprinkle with roasemary and squirt a bit on lemon juice over them. Usually I do it in my crockpot, but it'll work in the oven too. :bigsmile:
    Hey thanks for the idea Kerri...I agree dark meat is not the :devil: ...I used to only eat white meat in the past but Tam as well as others here have posted some great chicken thigh recipes and others with dark meat, and to beat it all...it's certainly more price friendly these days! Sometimes you do the best you can eating healthy...no reason to knock someone that eats it or is merely asking how to prepare it:noway: :flowerforyou:

I just within this last week went back to part time working at the Crisis Center (working my way back up to full time before too long again) so do know for myself that due to the cost of things needs to be altered in this day and time..even when our goal is eat clean, sometimes you simply can only do what you can do.:flowerforyou:

Thanks Banks for you input on the 'good stuff' in the dark meat:wink::happy:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick

As too recipies, how bout a light spray of Ken's Lite Italian dressing while baking. Or how bout a nice dry rub before throwing it on the grill (I love cajun rubs, and most are pretty light on calories).
    :drinker: thanks for the ideas
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Thought this was interesting, :drinker:

Dark Meats
    Dark meats simply have more myoglobin proteins, the magic stuff that ships oxygen to the muscle cells.

Dark meats must use myoglobins as they transfer oxygen more efficiently to the muscles than glycogen. Muscles used more frequently, get to be dark. This is why non-flying poultry drumsticks are dark meat, while breast meat is white.

When dark meat is cooked it turns the myoglobins to metmyoglobins, which is brown/gray. Metmyoglobins are very high in iron (albeit there is not that much in dark meat in the first place).

White Meat
    White meat gets the 'juice' through glycogen. Glycogen is a polysaccharide of glucose, an animal starch. Animal starch is stored primarily in the liver and broken down into glucose when needed by the white muscle.

Nutritional Comparison
    Dark meats tend to contain more zinc, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, vitamins B6 and B12, amino acids, iron than white meat. Dark beef meat contains about 11 times more zinc than tuna, and about 3 times as much iron than raw spinach. Chicken dark meat contain vitamins A, K, B6, B12, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, minerals as selenium, phosphorus and zinc.

Even the fats in most of the dark meats have healthy parts. They contain Omega-3, and Omega-6 fatty acids, and other ‘healthy’ fats.

It is the saturated fat content which lowers the true quality of dark meat.
  • Fitness_Chick

Dark Meats
    Dark meats simply have more myoglobin proteins, the magic stuff that ships oxygen to the muscle cells.

Dark meats must use myoglobins as they transfer oxygen more efficiently to the muscles than glycogen. Muscles used more frequently, get to be dark. This is why non-flying poultry drumsticks are dark meat, while breast meat is white.

When dark meat is cooked it turns the myoglobins to metmyoglobins, which is brown/gray. Metmyoglobins are very high in iron (albeit there is not that much in dark meat in the first place).

White Meat
    White meat gets the 'juice' through glycogen. Glycogen is a polysaccharide of glucose, an animal starch. Animal starch is stored primarily in the liver and broken down into glucose when needed by the white muscle.

Nutritional Comparison
    Dark meats tend to contain more zinc, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, vitamins B6 and B12, amino acids, iron than white meat. Dark beef meat contains about 11 times more zinc than tuna, and about 3 times as much iron than raw spinach. Chicken dark meat contain vitamins A, K, B6, B12, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, minerals as selenium, phosphorus and zinc.

Even the fats in most of the dark meats have healthy parts. They contain Omega-3, and Omega-6 fatty acids, and other ‘healthy’ fats.

Oh broken down even more....awesome:wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    That's funny FC, I saw that same article when I was looking up which vitamins were in it. I knew it had lots of good stuff, I just couldn't remember which one.

Great minds and all...:tongue:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member

take the skin off and curry them ..yum yum but thats only if you like curry lol I do chicken and roasted veggies
  • Fitness_Chick

Dark Meats

White Meat

Nutritional Comparison

Mol...for a 'white meat' girl:tongue: , I'm even more impressed you took time to hunt this down for us:tongue::flowerforyou: ah...just reading backwards here:blushing: :bigsmile:

FC:heart:
This discussion has been closed.