Building muscle mass?

2»

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    I've asked you if you knew me, because you are trying to discredit me. No one on here is an expert. The OP wanted suggestion, I have given him a link to go to that could help him. A lot of people on here don't like Scooby and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that Scooby doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm not into bodybuilding, but I will say that I would trust what Scooby is saying, before I trust anyone on here that's against him.

People need to take out the time to really understand what Scooby is saying, before they think he doesn't know what he's talking about. The people on bodybuilder.com is giving their opinion as well.

If you trust bodybuilder.com, then good for you, but please don't try to discredit what I have said. Again, we are all on here giving suggestions and our opinion. No one is an expert on here. I don't have to trust anyone here, no matter who they are. The same goes for me, a person doesn't have to trust me.
    If you trust him so much, then why don't you follow the advice he gives about heavy lifting to lose weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Don't bother.....I'm sure you're on her special list too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    I've asked you if you knew me, because you are trying to discredit me. No one on here is an expert. The OP wanted suggestion, I have given him a link to go to that could help him. A lot of people on here don't like Scooby and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that Scooby doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm not into bodybuilding, but I will say that I would trust what Scooby is saying, before I trust anyone on here that's against him.

People need to take out the time to really understand what Scooby is saying, before they think he doesn't know what he's talking about. The people on bodybuilder.com is giving their opinion as well.

If you trust bodybuilder.com, then good for you, but please don't try to discredit what I have said. Again, we are all on here giving suggestions and our opinion. No one is an expert on here. I don't have to trust anyone here, no matter who they are. The same goes for me, a person doesn't have to trust me.
    If you trust him so much, then why don't you follow the advice he gives about heavy lifting to lose weight?

IDEA Fitness member

She'll see it if someone else not the list quotes it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • I started a gym membership Monday and I was told my the guy there I needed to up my calories from 1700 to 2500 and later I could go to 3500?????? So I upper my calories to 2300 and I've gained 5 pounds since Monday and its cant be muscle that fast. I was doing 1200 for 6 months dropped from 275 to 185 pounds since May/June. I want to build muscle mass, not much a little but not sure how to eat(calories/protien/carbs/etc) Any help would be great Thanks
    @engineman312 is, right you need take it slow. Keep in mind 1200 calories is not sustainable long term and is an extreme diet. Whether you want to gain muscle or not you were going to eventually need to move to your actual MBR+activity. 500 calorie increase every week or two weeks is good general rule of thumb.

@ninerbuff is also right that you are seeing water weight + plus the increased weight of more food in your system.

Right now your goal should be to slowly get back to your actual MBR+activity. To build muscle you will likely need to get to the range of 3500+ or more depending on your size, activity level etc. Keep in mind it is almost impossible to be able to gain muscle without gaining some fat. If you are eating whole foods, keeping your protein at least at 30% and lifting hard it will be more muscle than fat but one does not come without the other. Don't worry, it will be easier to lose those extra pounds when you have more muscle. Gaining muscle is basically three things: lifting heavy in the gym, eating a lot of protein rich food and good rest.

When you see guys having a hard time gaining muscle more often then not the battle was lost at the dinner table. People just don't realize how much fuel it takes to build.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Nobody on here is an expert because when you get your Phd, MFP gets a copy sent to them, and puts you on a blocked list
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member

IDEA Fitness member

This actually made my day better. I'm smiling now, thanks niner
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    "Right now your goal should be to slowly get back to your actual MBR+activity. To build muscle you will likely need to get to the range of 3500+ or more depending on your size, activity level etc. Keep in mind it is almost impossible to be able to gain muscle without gaining some fat. If you are eating whole foods, keeping your protein at least at 30% and lifting hard it will be more muscle than fat but one does not come without the other. Don't worry, it will be easier to lose those extra pounds when you have more muscle. Gaining muscle is basically three things: lifting heavy in the gym, eating a lot of protein rich food and good rest.

When you see guys having a hard time gaining muscle more often then not the battle was lost at the dinner table. People just don't realize how much fuel it takes to build. "

I pretty much agree with this. To build mass you'll need to be eating a hell of a lot more than just 1200kcals a day. Most people trying to gain mass under eat and wonder why there is little or no progress.

I'd think a well structured weights routine which includes high intensity deadlifts,Benches,squats and presses would be a good starting point. Keep the work outs less than an hour and keep the intensity high. record the weights you've lifted in a diary with a view to putting more weight on the bar at every opportunity. Reduce any long steady state cardio you're doing and replace it with HIIT on your none weights days. Plenty of food,water and adequate rest and you're well on your way
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member

IDEA Fitness member

This actually made my day better. I'm smiling now, thanks niner

I'm glad that it made your day better. Ninerbuff is on my ignore list as well. I don't know why he keeps replying to me. I don't have to lift heavy and I will never lift heavy. People need to worry about their own body. I know what I'm about to do.

• Scooby thinks egg yolks contain bad fats, yet cannot name what fatty acids are "bad"

read this thread to see how clueless Scooby is

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140826681

This is cherry picking. I'm not going to defend Scooby, as some of his ideas do seem somewhat anecdotal or based on his ideas alone, but this isn't a good point against his information.

If you use his videos to get ideas for routines, or proper form for exercises, he's full of good information.

The egg yolk thing, he addresses in his latest food video. He says how egg yolks are good, nutritionally, but high in fat. Fat isn't bad in and of itself, however, when you're making a 6 egg meal, using just the whites is only sensible, as a whole, large egg is nearly 100 calories, while the white has about 20 calories. If you're eating one egg, go ahead and eat the whole thing. If you want to eat a 4 egg omelette, or a pan of scrambled eggs, eat primarily the whites.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Nobody on here is an expert because when you get your Phd, MFP gets a copy sent to them, and puts you on a blocked list
    :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    I'm glad that it made your day better. Ninerbuff is on my ignore list as well. I don't know why he keeps replying to me. I don't have to lift heavy and I will never lift heavy. People need to worry about their own body. I know what I'm about to do.
    It was a simple question. To say you "trust" someone who is more knowledgeable than others, yet to not heed his advice is ironic. If you're not willing to follow it, then why should anyone else?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    The egg yolk thing, he addresses in his latest food video. He says how egg yolks are good, nutritionally, but high in fat. Fat isn't bad in and of itself, however, when you're making a 6 egg meal, using just the whites is only sensible, as a whole, large egg is nearly 100 calories, while the white has about 20 calories. If you're eating one egg, go ahead and eat the whole thing. If you want to eat a 4 egg omelette, or a pan of scrambled eggs, eat primarily the whites.
    Well it would also depend on your total calorie intake. If you have a 2600 calorie limit per day, a 6 egg omelette with whole eggs is good to help fill that up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Out of respect for me, don't quote me. If you want to suggest bodybuilders.com to your friend, then please do so. Don't discredit me. I will always suggest Scooby to anyone that's looking for bodybuilding help.

scooby juices(takes steroids) you should recommend them too.
    Most competitive ones do. As a natural, I've had to struggle to put on mass and it takes more paying attention to detail and consistency.
    I've seen guys who juice not step foot in the gym for a few months and in 12 weeks be ready for contest. Part of it is genetics, but drugs do help to get them contest ready.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Out of respect for me, don't quote me. If you want to suggest bodybuilders.com to your friend, then please do so. Don't discredit me. I will always suggest Scooby to anyone that's looking for bodybuilding help.

scooby juices(takes steroids) you should recommend them too.

Can you prove that Scooby is taking steroids and can you prove that the bodybuilders on bodybuilders.com aren't taking steriods? Don't say things that you don't know. If you don't agree with Scooby that's fine. I will not agree with someone because they have muscles. Everyone can only speak for their body.

People want me to agree with the people on here and if I don't, then something is wrong with me. I don't agree with them and I have a right not to agree with them.

Again, I'm not into bodybuilding, the OP was looking for suggestions and I've suggested Scooby's site. I'm done.
  • ninerbuff
    Can you prove that Scooby is taking steroids and can you prove that the bodybuilders on bodybuilders.com aren't taking steriods? Don't say things that you don't know. If you don't agree with Scooby that's fine. I will not agree with someone because they have muscles. Everyone can only speak for their body.

People want me to agree with the people on here and if I don't, then something is wrong with me. I don't agree with them and I have a right not to agree with them.

Again, I'm not into bodybuilding, the OP was looking for suggestions and I've suggested Scooby's site. I'm done.
    Already stated that competitive bodybuilders are on drugs. And saying you agree with Scooby, yet not follow his advice is being hypocritical. Doesn't make sense to advocate for someone who's advice you don't even follow yourself.

IDEA Fitness member
  • any kind of calorie increase should be done slowly and surely. like increasing 500 calories every two weeks or something. keep your protein high, like, 1.5g per pound of body weight. your stomache will take time to adapt to the increas of calories.

you can build muscle on a deficit, but not much, and only if your protein is high. in the beginning, you'll definetly see some noob gains in muscle definition.

i wouldn't always listen to the guys in the weight room. so many people out there are very misguided in their views on nutrition. you, as a beginner, shouldn't be blasting your chest on mondays, legs tuesdays, etc. you'll get great benefits from doing full body circuits.

write everything down. use an app like evernote to keep track of how much you are lifting, what exercises you like best, and how you feel and where you can improve. don't increase weight more then 10% a week, to avoid injuries.

these articles helped me when i started working out at a gym
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/09/infiltrating-the-empire-how-to-workout-properly-in-a-commercial-gym/

Totally agree here. Don't increase your calories too fast.
    I started a gym membership Monday and I was told my the guy there I needed to up my calories from 1700 to 2500 and later I could go to 3500?????? So I upper my calories to 2300 and I've gained 5 pounds since Monday and its cant be muscle that fast. I was doing 1200 for 6 months dropped from 275 to 185 pounds since May/June. I want to build muscle mass, not much a little but not sure how to eat(calories/protien/carbs/etc) Any help would be great Thanks
    It's water weight that you gained in that short time. Keep your protein high, since only protein builds muscle an supply a good amount of carbs and fat. A 40 protein, 30 carb, 30 fat split seems to work well with lots of people that I've done it with. Without knowing what you actually do for exercise, I can only guess that 2500 calories might be okay.

this is good advice.