Gym rules what????

Options
So at our school gym that I frequent, one of the rules are that anyone under 7th grade is not allowed in the gym. Personally, I think this is such a crock. I have a 10 yr old boy that is, I would like to say,....on the tubby side. He loves working out with me and we have fun doing it! Most of the guys and gals that I work out with there dont mind him being there because he has respect for the equipment and people as I have taught him to but today I had a custodian walk right by me and ask my son how old he was as we were on the treadmills. I told her that he is 10 and I am his mother and I am watching him so she shouldnt be worrying about it! I understand if kids are acting reckless, annoying people, ect, ya then boot em out but otherwise I think people should mind their own!! Just sayin.....

Replies

• Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    maybe they do it because of insurance reasons?

ive never heard that rule but it sounds pretty silly to me. especially if you're there watching him
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    At my gym no one under 16 is allowed to join, unless they go to the kids club thing. I got told when I was 15 that it was something to do with a child's body not being fully developed and they might injure themselves if they use equipment.

basically if he ever injured himself you could sue the gym and say they weren't doing their job properly, not that you would but I think that might be possible why they don't allow 10 year olds in.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was a sport and recreation management major, and the reason is insurance and liability.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I belonged to our local hospital's wellness center, only ages 18+ could use the equipment, the pool and attend the classes. In fact, I don't think I've ever belonged to a gym that allowed children under 16.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes, I could see if they were there alone because there are no trainers there. I just think if the parents are there, they should be responsible. I understand the liability and insurance reasons.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If everyone were honorable, they could trust that parents would be responsible for their own kids.....unfortunately.....
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I work in insurance and it is because of insurance and liability issues. They could lose their insurance if something happened while he was working out or on the floor and it would be very hard for them to obtain insurance elsewhere.
  • traceracer
    Options
    When I belonged to our local hospital's wellness center, only ages 18+ could use the equipment, the pool and attend the classes. In fact, I don't think I've ever belonged to a gym that allowed children under 16.
    Ya see, and I think this is sad! Living in an area where there is a long winter and not enough time or options, I think it is great when kids can work out with there parents to stay active:)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Well the Y states you have to be 14yo to go into the free weight room. Sort of makes sense. Every once in awhile a parent will lift while their little one is on the side. Which is okay. but when they wander though to meet their parent, I don't want to crush their kid with my 315lb dead or 75lb dumbells
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I own a gym in a small town in Washington, and at first, I let kids in on a case by case basis, until the unthinkable happened to a local gym owner. Here is the story.

A gym about an hour away from me, owned by a hardworking woman like me, had a children's area, but one day her friend (also a member) ignored the rules about kids in the weight room. He snuck his son past the front desk into the weight room. The son was lifting with him, and close by, while this dad kept piling more plates on his bar. He ended up knocking a heavy stack over, and crushed his son to death. And of course the family sued the gym for allowing a child in the weight room, even though the gym had a policy against it.

I don't know how it ended up, But what struck me, was that the members of my gym who brought me the articles about the story to read, said, "Can you believe that a gym would be stupid enough to allow kids in their weight room?" When I pointed out that the story said they did NOT allow kids, my members said, "Well, they should have been more careful about who was getting back there." In other words, in their minds, it's ALL the gym's fault. At that point, I realized my policy would change. Sure, I've had some people ticked off, so I give them this story, and it shuts them up real quick!
  • traceracer
    Options
    I own a gym in a small town in Washington, and at first, I let kids in on a case by case basis, until the unthinkable happened to a local gym owner. Here is the story.

A gym about an hour away from me, owned by a hardworking woman like me, had a children's area, but one day her friend (also a member) ignored the rules about kids in the weight room. He snuck his son past the front desk into the weight room. The son was lifting with him, and close by, while this dad kept piling more plates on his bar. He ended up knocking a heavy stack over, and crushed his son to death. And of course the family sued the gym for allowing a child in the weight room, even though the gym had a policy against it.

I don't know how it ended up, But what struck me, was that the members of my gym who brought me the articles about the story to read, said, "Can you believe that a gym would be stupid enough to allow kids in their weight room?" When I pointed out that the story said they did NOT allow kids, my members said, "Well, they should have been more careful about who was getting back there." In other words, in their minds, it's ALL the gym's fault. At that point, I realized my policy would change. Sure, I've had some people ticked off, so I give them this story, and it shuts them up real quick!
    Understandably!
  • c2sky
    Options
    Also, American Council on Exercise explains that heavy lifting is not safe when kids are developing still. Their joints are not as stable as an adults'. Basic strength training can wait until they are in their teens. Teach kids to do pullups on monkey bars, and proper push ups (where their shoulder blades don't collapse) Get them into kids fitness classes, boys and girls club, or go outside with them. Let them be kids for a while.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Not sure what country you are in, but in Australia I cannot legally sign anybody to the gym who is under 14 (I manage a gym).

And the recommended rules out here are that anybody under 18 should not participate in weight training other than their own bodyweight (ie squats, lunges, planks etc). So I very rarely sign U18s.

This is because it is recommended that U18s are still not physically or mentally developed completely.

However, I used a gym when I was in primary school, but under strict guidance of teachers who were trained to work with kids that age. Most of the activities we did in the gym were group sports, like indoor soccer, netball, rope climbing, tunnelball etc.

I completely agree that there needs to be "easier" ways to get kids involved in fitness and away from the tv, I've been involved in junior hockey a lot in my time. But I think the best way is to get them involved in sport, perhaps find a local soccer team, little athletics, swimming, dance group etc to get them moving rather than introduce them to the gym at such an early age.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the reason for not allowing under 18 in a gym when highschools have weight rooms and teach lifting as part of some gym classes. Working out and lifting weights within reason is not going to be determental to a growing body (being extreme about it would be determental).

What's the difference between a treadmill or cycling and running or biking outside. It was 'stop watching tv and go outside' that I heard all the time as a kid. Now it should be 'get off the computer and go outside'

The world is supposed to be such a bad place now that people don't let there kids run around free in the neighborhood and they end up inside 'safe' and sitting on their duffs. Does anyone else remember biking to the park and playing for a couple hours on monkey bars, stairs to the top of the slide (over and over and over), swings, tag and don't touch the ground?

I'm just saying.... -end rant-
  • traceracer
    Options
    Also, American Council on Exercise explains that heavy lifting is not safe when kids are developing still. Their joints are not as stable as an adults'. Basic strength training can wait until they are in their teens. Teach kids to do pullups on monkey bars, and proper push ups (where their shoulder blades don't collapse) Get them into kids fitness classes, boys and girls club, or go outside with them. Let them be kids for a while.
    Just to make it clear, I never let him lift weights. We only do cardio together and then when I lift, he just watches. I would never allow him to lift until older.
  • c2sky
    Options
    But congrats for setting a good example. I hope you find a way to make it work for your 10 year old!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I had a custodian walk right by me and ask my son how old he was as we were on the treadmills. I told her that he is 10 and I am his mother and I am watching him so she shouldnt be worrying about it! I understand if kids are acting reckless, annoying people, ect, ya then boot em out but otherwise I think people should mind their own!! Just sayin.....
    Mind her own business? As an employee of the gym, it behooves her to protect the business.

Having underage kids in there, regardless of how good a parent you are, is a liability that insurance companies frown upon. A wise business owner balances customers' wishes with keeping the doors open. Every customer is not always right.

Also, you agreed to the terms laid out by the gym when you signed up. They have no obligation to allow minors in there, and you had no obligation to agree to their terms.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    But congrats for setting a good example. I hope you find a way to make it work for your 10 year old!

Definately this. I wish more parents would be concerned about keeping their kids active instead of giving them playstations for christmas!!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I don't understand the reason for not allowing under 18 in a gym when highschools have weight rooms and teach lifting as part of some gym classes. Working out and lifting weights within reason is not going to be determental to a groing body (being extreme about it would be determental).

What's the difference between a treadmill or cycling and running or biking outside. It was 'stop watching tv and go outside' that I heard all the time as a kid. Now it should be 'get off the computer and go outside'

The world is supposed to be such a bad place now that people don't let there kids run around free in the neighborhood and they end up inside 'safe' and sitting on their duffs. Does anyone else remember biking to the park and playing for a couple hours on monkey bars, stairs to the top of the slide (over and over and over), swings, tag and don't touch the ground?

I'm just saying.... -end rant-
    Liability for a private business is different than that of a school.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but there are plenty of places for my kid to get exercise, even in the winter: local recreation center, gymnastics, martial arts, tumbling, dance, etc.