Gym rules what????

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if your kid did come in the gym and dropped a weight on his foot and caused damage you would sue and you would win. look at the contract you signed
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have the option nearby where you live but in my hometown there is a gym for people of all ages. They have a special glass room for the kids so the parents can keep an eye on what they are doing. This particular gym was pretty inexpensive from what I remember (I was never an official member -- my sister worked there) but I know it was cheaper than the Y. Maybe you could find a family friendly gym nearby that would allow your son to be there? The kids don't use the exercise equipment, per se, but they provide assorted classes for them focusing on exercising through play. The kids seem to have a ball :-) Good luck!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Also, American Council on Exercise explains that heavy lifting is not safe when kids are developing still. Their joints are not as stable as an adults'. Basic strength training can wait until they are in their teens. Teach kids to do pullups on monkey bars, and proper push ups (where their shoulder blades don't collapse) Get them into kids fitness classes, boys and girls club, or go outside with them. Let them be kids for a while.
    Just to make it clear, I never let him lift weights. We only do cardio together and then when I lift, he just watches. I would never allow him to lift until older.

Good for you! Unfortunately though, some kids wander, or some parents do try let their kids lift, or want their kids to watch them show off. So because of these stupid parents, policies are necessary. I had a lady try to convince me that another chain gym in town would allow her to strap her baby in a carrier across her chest while she was on a treadmill. She was angry that I would not offer the same. I checked her story out. She was absolutely lying to me. Can you imagine someone on a treadmill with a baby strapped in an over the shoulder carrier? Unbelievable to me.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    if your kid did come in the gym and dropped a weight on his foot and caused damage you would sue and you would win. look at the contract you signed
    This isnt a contract. It is at the school weight room.
  • traceracer
    Options
    Also, American Council on Exercise explains that heavy lifting is not safe when kids are developing still. Their joints are not as stable as an adults'. Basic strength training can wait until they are in their teens. Teach kids to do pullups on monkey bars, and proper push ups (where their shoulder blades don't collapse) Get them into kids fitness classes, boys and girls club, or go outside with them. Let them be kids for a while.
    Just to make it clear, I never let him lift weights. We only do cardio together and then when I lift, he just watches. I would never allow him to lift until older.

Good for you! Unfortunately though, some kids wander, or some parents do try let their kids lift, or want their kids to watch them show off. So because of these stupid parents, policies are necessary. I had a lady try to convince me that another chain gym in town would allow her to strap her baby in a carrier across her chest while she was on a treadmill. She was angry that I would not offer the same. I checked her story out. She was absolutely lying to me. Can you imagine someone on a treadmill with a baby strapped in an over the shoulder carrier? Unbelievable to me.
    Ya, I agree, that is crazy...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

oh...so can I go too?
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When we belonged to the Y (when my older girls were little) I think the age was 12 and up. If I remember right. I would get lots of dirty looks from people wanting the elliptical machine or treadmill when my daughters were on them. BUT we paid for them to go AND they had instructors train them on what they were doing. So they had a right to be there. I didn't think they needed to use the weight machines but they were trained on them. It was a nice thing to do with them on their days off from school and it didn't interrupt my workout plans. Plus they were fun company. They didn't talk they just put their headphones on and worked. The age limit for daycare was 11.

What actually really irked me was they changed the locker room rules and no one is allowed in there under 12. There are TWO little bathrooms for all the kids to use to change, or parents with kids and a giant locker room that only adults can use. It takes forever when there are swim lessons with all the parents waiting to change their wet kids. Plus the bathroom are out in the hall not in the pool area so getting kids who have to pee into the bathroom is tough too. That is my only rant though.
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My gym allows kids 10 and older to be a member with family members. They are only allowed to use the exercise equipment (no free weights, weights, or classes) with a parent next to them. If they are 12 they have to have a fitness session to use weights with parents doing the same thing.
  • traceracer
    Options
    My gym allows kids 10 and older to be a member with family members. They are only allowed to use the exercise equipment (no free weights, weights, or classes) with a parent next to them. If they are 12 they have to have a fitness session to use weights with parents doing the same thing.
    I love this!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Regardless if you signed a contract or NOT, it's a liability issue for the school.

Don't be surprised if a school employee confronts you about this issue in the future. The school employee was simply doing their job and your typed response came off as snotty and spoiled. In addition you taught your son that the rules apply to everyone...except you.

Take him to the park, on a hike, play catch in your backyard, put him in a sports program - or better yet volunteer to be the coach.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I agree. It's hard to fit in a work out for you and keep the kid(s) busy. If you can, try going to a rec center or a playground. You can climb on the monkey bars and do other stuff with him. Build snowmen or a snow fort, shoveling snow, or go sledding. It's a bit colder, but going outside during the crummy weather is still an option. And I agree with the reasons others state on why they don't allow kids under a certain age in the gym, even if yours is mature and responsible and under your observation at all times.
  • traceracer
    Options

Regardless if you signed a contract or NOT, it's a liability issue for the school.

Don't be surprised if a school employee confronts you about this issue in the future. The school employee was simply doing their job and your typed response came off as snotty and spoiled. In addition you taught your son that the rules apply to everyone...except you.

Take him to the park, on a hike, play catch in your backyard, put him in a sports program - or better yet volunteer to be the coach.
    Sorry if I came across snotty or rude but what i was getting at was, she was there to clean and she had nothing to do with the rules or having any authority. She just wanted to pretend she had some authority. I dont think I am above any rules, I just think the rules are stupid unless it comes to the weights of course. But I will take it up at the next PTO meeting.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Sorry if I came across snotty or rude but what i was getting at was, she was there to clean and she had nothing to do with the rules or having any authority. She just wanted to pretend she had some authority. I dont think I am above any rules, I just think the rules are stupid unless it comes to the weights of course. But I will take it up at the next PTO meeting.
    And if something happened, and the custodian didn't do anything to avoid it? It could cost the custodian her job. She was protecting herself and the interests of the school.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    There are rules like that in most gyms. It has to do with the development of a child's muscles; if they begin "working out" (using weights to young) the muscles can be damaged. I don't think they should be "banned" till a specific age but I do feel that until a physician ok's it, a child should not do any weight machines (circuit training/free weight) but why not let them use a recumbent bike, treadmill, adaptive motion trainer would be good for a child because there is no impact. Plus, cardio is great for all ages!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This is actually the norm....

Unless the pediatrician has drafted a formal 'letter of medical necessity', Gyms reserve the right (yes, under various insurance liability plans) to restrict members via age minimum....

It is a very smart thing to do for Gyms and it is done with very legitimate reasons...

Yes, the custodian could very well be held liable if their job description also includes 'full enforcement of facility rules and regulations"... and held liable for not informing the member AND the child gets injured, causes property damage, or commits any acts against regulation and rules...

I know this is not what you want to hear but, it is really good business sense....
  • hannahbellelechter
    Options
    I've been going to my gym since age 13. Never had an issue. But the liability thing makes sense.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ouch double post
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So at our school gym that I frequent, one of the rules are that anyone under 7th grade is not allowed in the gym. Personally, I think this is such a crock. I have a 10 yr old boy that is, I would like to say,....on the tubby side. He loves working out with me and we have fun doing it! Most of the guys and gals that I work out with there dont mind him being there because he has respect for the equipment and people as I have taught him to but today I had a custodian walk right by me and ask my son how old he was as we were on the treadmills. I told her that he is 10 and I am his mother and I am watching him so she shouldnt be worrying about it! I understand if kids are acting reckless, annoying people, ect, ya then boot em out but otherwise I think people should mind their own!! Just sayin.....
    No, no, no!
    Keep your kids out of the gym. I have 5 kids, so it's not about me not understanding. I do.

And not withstanding the obvious liability issue, it's bad business. Even if your kids are great, the parents of the brats will point to you and say "well, you let her do it"

No, kids need to stay OUT!
    Next thing you know, the whole place is like Chunky Cheese.
  • traceracer
    Options
    So at our school gym that I frequent, one of the rules are that anyone under 7th grade is not allowed in the gym. Personally, I think this is such a crock. I have a 10 yr old boy that is, I would like to say,....on the tubby side. He loves working out with me and we have fun doing it! Most of the guys and gals that I work out with there dont mind him being there because he has respect for the equipment and people as I have taught him to but today I had a custodian walk right by me and ask my son how old he was as we were on the treadmills. I told her that he is 10 and I am his mother and I am watching him so she shouldnt be worrying about it! I understand if kids are acting reckless, annoying people, ect, ya then boot em out but otherwise I think people should mind their own!! Just sayin.....
    No, no, no!
    Keep your kids out of the gym. I have 5 kids, so it's not about me not understanding. I do.

And not withstanding the obvious liability issue, it's bad business. Even if your kids are great, the parents of the brats will point to you and say "well, you let her do it"

No, kids need to stay OUT!
    Next thing you know, the whole place is like Chunky Cheese.
    LOL! I kinda see your point there....