Tingling toes on the elliptical?

Options
Hey, I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else? I can only stay on for like, 15min before my toes start feeling numb. :( I've done some research, and I don't think it's something to worry about too-too much, but it is irksome....

Replies

• alapoint89
    Options
    it does that to me on the tredmill but i keep going. i think its because you are on a moving ground and not just the ground itself
  • abby1791
    abby1791 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing! After 10-15 minutes every single time. And I HATE IT, because if that didn't happen then I would really enjoy the elliptical! I'll be interested to see others' comments on this.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Change the shoes.Try ones with more cushion and sole support.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've read some on it, it has to do with either your shoes, or how you put pressure on you feet.... I know how you feel, Abby. It is such a shame. I stop way before I want to because I can't stand the feeling
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ditto - try 1/2 size bigger shoe :)
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot, and not just with the elliptical. Anything that has me on and off my toes tends to affect the circulation to my feet. Doesn't really seem to affect my performance or anything though.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I get it on the treadmill and ellptical. If i can get away with it, I'll take my shoes off while i'm on the elliptical and that does the trick, so most likely it's the shoes. I've also found curling my toes with each step helps make the tingling go away but is also very difficult to do, lol.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too and I have tried different shoes. I quit doing the elliptical for that reason!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    We have about 3 different ellipticals at our gym and one of them did that to me too after about 15-20, since I've switched to the other one I haven't noticed it! I wonder if it is the motion of that particular machine because it only seems to happen on that one for me!
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily the shoes, but how tight you have the laces. Loosen them.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get that feeling on the elliptical machine! I hate it! That's one of the reasons I don't use it anymore, I switched to the treadmill.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily the shoes, but how tight you have the laces. Loosen them.

Yup, this is good advice. I bought new shoes yesterday and the salesperson suggested skipping a hole over the highest point of my foot to take some of the pressure off - she says that some of the nerves that supply the foot are on the top of your foot and compressing them can give you numbness.

So, try lacing your shoes loser, or google different ways to lace your shoes, this might help.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It happens to me at the school gym (all the ellipticals I've tried there), but not at my close-to-home gym (none of them!). I've wondered if it's the settings or something... the angles of the foot petals? I mean, they are the same brand and everything!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I talked to a trainer when I first started going to the gym. They told me (and many other have tried the trainers suggestion and it worked)...You need to make sure you are pushing with your heals. Often people are pushing on the balls of their feet.

When you are on an Ellipical you should be able to wiggle your toes......its almost like when you do a squat.....the weight needs to be in the heels!

It worked for me and many other that I go to the gym with! I use to not be able to go past 15 minutes and now I can do 45 minutes without an issue!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know this one! Happened to me too. I caught Jillian Micheals on The Doctors and she informed that the reason this happens is because the shoes are too tight. Your feet swell when you run. You need running shoes like half a size bigger than normal. When I got bigger shoes the numbness went away. Thought I was gonna die for like a month. Yes I am the one who will keep hugging the porcupine till the doctor says to quit doing that. LOL
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yup, happens to me on the cardiowave - I read that loosening your shoelaces can help but that didn't work. I just ignore it but I don't often spend more than 15 mins (when it seems to set in) on any one piece of equipment anymore, I go to classes and am moving around so much that it doesn't happen. I think it just has to do with doing the same thing for so long, I remember there were loads of search results on google about it, so you're definitely not alone!!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I spend around 70 minutes on the elliptical, I wear running shoes with a thick sole, I never experience numbness. I have it on the highest resistance as well (10 on my machine).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. Your weight needs to be in your heels.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I get it on the treadmill and ellptical. If i can get away with it, I'll take my shoes off while i'm on the elliptical and that does the trick, so most likely it's the shoes. I've also found curling my toes with each step helps make the tingling go away but is also very difficult to do, lol.

Ditto! I go barefoot on the elliptical all the time.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Think I might try the no-shoes next time