Tingling toes on the elliptical?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Besides bigger size which may have your feet floating around too much, investigate if you need wider shoes actually, because your foot starts to flatten out, and if not allowed to splay out, can pinch the forefoot nerve.

There are several nice lacing websites for getting around spots on top of the foot, which can be exacerbated by the feet swelling or flattening out. There are also these nice running laces that are stretchy, with a pull cord tie.

Have to disagree with putting pressure on the heel. While it may be non-impact type workout, putting all the pressure on the heel, when your foot was designed to take the load on the front, is a bad idea. You'll just be taking more of the force in the knee and hip joints, and not spreading it out amongst all the muscle.
    That's actually why barefoot works too - no laces, no width problems, not too tight, and no way would you push your heel in while barefoot - it would hurt.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Tried everything. Long story short. I have tight piroformus muscles that rub on my sciatic nerves that make my feet go numb when on the elliptical or run. Stretches and massage have worked for me. I use a tennis ball to sit on and do lots of stretches directed at this area. Best of luck. It had nothing to do with my shoes, etc etc. my problems were beyond that. But in the seven different dr I saw I always got an interesting diagnosis each time until the massage theerapist pin pointed it specifically.
  • Thunderrose1
    Options
    I get it too. Started wearing flipflops and it doesn't happen. I do it in my fuzzy slippers too!
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I get it too, but only on the AMT. It doesn't matter which shoes I am wearing. I think it has a lot to do with where I am putting pressure on my feet. When it starts happening I can make it stop by repositioning my foot to the back of the pedal thing. If I put it almost on the end then it goes a way. I figure that since it hasn't killed me yet, it probably isn't a big deal.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have tight piroformus muscles that rub on my sciatic nerves that make my feet go numb when on the elliptical or run. Stretches and massage have worked for me.

I feel for ya. Glad that is the only effect, and not the normal sciatic pain.

In doing a lot of research on unequal leg length issues, which a therapist discovered I had, tight piriformus came up as very possible side effect.

Ever been really tested for that?
    And not the chiro version where they lay you down on stomach, bring your feet up, say uneven, and pop your hips. I do use chiros, but I am knocking that worthless process. You can have a real leg length difference, just as most have a real foot size difference, and adjusting the hip to make them look even won't help a bit. Harms it actually.

I seem to recall the hip rolls up to compensate for the longer leg, causing the piri on that side to be shortened and end of tighter as it assists rolling that hip back and up. Which if you are one of the minority of winners for the sciatica going through rather than around that muscle, you get the pinch.

Took a therapist dealing with my tri-malleolar ankle break recovery to just off-handed remark one leg was shorter.
    In my research to try to figure out exactly how much without expensive x-ray options, found all these side effects that I did indeed have to varying degrees for a long time, sciatic being one of them. Incredible the recovery from just a little lift. And taking care of numb feet for a longer time. Still hits after awhile jogging or biking, but probably for other reasons.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    That's weird; I stay on the elliptical for an hour every time and that never happens to me. The first time I had to get used to it and my toenail came off. Anywho try different shoes.
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow! This happened to me before Christmas and I am glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened to. I tend to start marching on the Elliptical when this happens and that helps it go away. I also get weird charlie horse muscle spasms in my deltoid muscle when I am on the elliptical at times. Thanks for posting this. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else? I can only stay on for like, 15min before my toes start feeling numb. :( I've done some research, and I don't think it's something to worry about too-too much, but it is irksome....
    Constant pressure on the balls of your feet do this. Sometime lifting your feet off every few hundred steps help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My shoes are too big, and it happens to me all the time. Since then I've gotten proper running shoes and I'll see how it goes!
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it's happened to me on the elliptical and I was like ok what the crap is going on here!? LOL
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too! After almost exactly 15 minutes. I've tried repositioning to my heels but it feels so unnatural. I've always thought it had to do with my shoes though.. That they were either too tight/too long, so my feet kept slipping?
  • nicoleh82
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I think its the combination of pressure on the soles of your feet and not changing position much, and circulation to the feet. What I used to do is occasionally lift my feet and put them back down, as if i were really walking... seemed to work.

Lack of feeling in your feet tends to be a circulation issue
  • Joshmesa
    Options
    I talked to a trainer when I first started going to the gym. They told me (and many other have tried the trainers suggestion and it worked)...You need to make sure you are pushing with your heals. Often people are pushing on the balls of their feet.

When you are on an Ellipical you should be able to wiggle your toes......its almost like when you do a squat.....the weight needs to be in the heels!

It worked for me and many other that I go to the gym with! I use to not be able to go past 15 minutes and now I can do 45 minutes without an issue!

This is true. I noticed that my toes were going numb but if I switched my stance to where I was using more of my heals instead of on my toes it went away. Also when I switch and start going backwards it goes away because i'm not putting all the pressure on my toes. Try and focus on how you are pushing the pedals with your feet. You will probably notice you are using all your balls of your feet and toes which is making them go numb.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    used to happen to me all the time. doesn't any more but i'm not sure why. maybe my arches already fell lol who knows?
  • Kalani2012
    Options
    Hey! I know this one! Happened to me too. I caught Jillian Micheals on The Doctors and she informed that the reason this happens is because the shoes are too tight. Your feet swell when you run. You need running shoes like half a size bigger than normal. When I got bigger shoes the numbness went away. Thought I was gonna die for like a month. Yes I am the one who will keep hugging the porcupine till the doctor says to quit doing that. LOL

Take a look at this link fit4mom hit it on the nose. I use the same shoes, but changed the way that I lace them up and it doesn't happen anymore.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I still wish I could figure out why it happens to me at one gym but not the other. It's very consistent and would suggest that it's not my shoes or body. :P
  • heybales
    Options
    I still wish I could figure out why it happens to me at one gym but not the other. It's very consistent and would suggest that it's not my shoes or body. :P

Is the machine exactly the same? Select the same levels and grade?
  • nsdjogger
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. When I use a stair master or elliptical I wear flip flops and that helps a lot. On the treadmill it happens about half the time. When I run outside, I never have that problem, I think it's because of terrain changes. On the machines your foot is stuck in one spot and the TM surface is flat and steady so your foot hits the same spot over and over.
  • 07JKGirl
    Options
    I have tried different shoes with no success, but when I switched from the traditional elliptical to the ARC Trainer at the gym, the problem went away. I belive it is mostly related to the positioning of your feet and the pressures applied by those positions. Best advice, try a different cardio machine!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yep happened to me - I bought shoes 1/2 bigger than I normally wear - I don't run so having them a little larger in the gym works for me- it allows me to wear thicker socks as well which helps with cushioning when I do squats and lunges