Coffee help!

Options
I just realized that the coffee I drink in the morning is about 154 calories. Oh man, it's hot coffee and I like hot coffee with sugar and cream or it tastes bitter. Iced coffee I can drink with Splenda and skim milk and it tastes great, anyone have any suggestions on making my hot coffee taste better, with lower calories? I wont be drinking coffee until it's warmer if I can't get that calorie amount down.

Replies

• edaney
    Options
    I keep french vanilla instant coffee on hand use 2% milk so don't seem to need a sweetner. Also carry Stevia with me so I am never tempted to use sugar.Dr. Oz totally approves Stevia ( sweetner made from plants and totally natural) Look it up online
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to ruin coffee...

1. Cream
    2. Sugar

:tongue:

It's all a matter of personal preference I guess. I couldn't imagine drinking it any other way that black.

What about substituting with a dark tea? Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder perhaps?

You might also try different coffees - for me personally, I prefer Central American beans and Indonesian Beans. I like a fine grind done in a cone drip. The source of the coffee, how it was roasted and even how it's brewed can affect the flavor and 'bitterness'. If your coffee comes pre-ground in a can, that's the biggest problem.

Try getting a french press of Sumatra next time you're in a coffee house and give it a try without any cream or sugar.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you don't brew your own coffee, then start. You'll save money and be able to do a few tricks to help cut back on calories.

Most of the time, people seem to need sugar and cream in their coffee to mask the bitter flavor. Adding just a pinch of salt to your coffee grounds before brewing will drastically cut back on the bitter taste without making your coffee taste salty. If you can taste the salt, then you should add much less. Adding cinnamon to your coffee grounds will add a pleasant flavor that can also help mask the bitterness.

Once you are brewing a less bitter coffee, start cutting back on how much sugar and cream you add. Measure out how much you add and cut back just a little bit every few days. In no time you'll be taking your coffee is a much less calorie-dense way!

Good luck!
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I only use Coffeemate Fat Free Hazelnut Creamer. It adds 25 calories.
  • kphillips83
    kphillips83 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Quit coffee all together :D
  • yabbo24497
    yabbo24497 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always have a sugar substitute in my coffee in the morning and use fat free creamer. I also now get a medium instead of a large. In the afternoon, I only use skim milk and it's not too bad. It took a little getting used to though.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Try using flavored coffee and your no calorie sweetner. I like creamer too, but it adds a lot of calories. It just isn't worth it.

I need to do this too and I won't be giving up coffee any time soon!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i use fat free french vanilla creamer and don't need sugar with it :) its under 100 cal for 2 cups of coffee if you use about 1.5 tbsp of creamer. (i measured it out because i was curious how much i was putting in there). home brewed coffee is less bitter because you can make it "weaker" if needed, hence less cream/sugar/whatever needs to be added into it to make it better
  • scott1981
    scott1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

No really, I find that if first put in two of the creamer that come in that little plastic cup and then use splenda to your heart’s content then poor your coffee. Now put in a few ice cubes, it will still be warm and taste great. I get my coffee fix for about 60 calories a pop that way.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Hazelnut coffee, splenda, and sugar free hazelnut cream from International House :)
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options

That!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    drink real coffee. get whole beans and a coffee grinder. a bit of work? ya..so what...its worth it. coffee is a good thing. make it the right way not the lazy way. proceed.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    If you think your coffee is "bitter," change your brand. I worked for Starbucks for many years, and while coffee might have a "bite" to it due to the acidity, it shouldn't taste bitter. I agree about trying different brands and types of beans.

As a rule, Central American coffees are crisp and clean, Indonesian coffees are smooth and earthy, and African coffees are usually somewhere in between with very exotic flavor profiles. The type of roasting (light or dark) will impact the flavor profile as well.

If you still want to add some cream or a flavoring a few options that won't break the calorie bank are unsweetened almond milk (only 40 cals per cup) and sugar free syrups (Torani has a huge lineup).
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I uses coffeemate sugar free frnch vanilla creamer. 2 tbls is 30 calories. Mini moo individual creamers are 10 cal each. I put tons of plenda in my coffee too. I also started using a Keurig and get tons of flavored coffee that is awesome!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    just drink coffee the way it supose to be drunk... "as is" no sugar, no creamer, at the beginning will taste bad , but day to day you will find it way better and better tasting, and a cup its only 2 cal. AWESOME!!!!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I uses coffeemate sugar free frnch vanilla creamer. 2 tbls is 30 calories. Mini moo individual creamers are 10 cal each. I put tons of plenda in my coffee too. I also started using a Keurig and get tons of flavored coffee that is awesome!

Sorry for the typos!! Splenda is what I use! French vanilla creamer! Love it! LOL!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    Part of it may be training your taste buds a bit. And it does help to brew your own and spring for good quality coffee if you can. Experiment with different roasts. I've discovered that I love Starbucks Espresso Roast and Italian Roast coffees. They're rich and bold but have a slightly sweet taste to them. I hate the Sumatra because it tastes like dirt to me. I used to only drink coffee if it was loaded with syrups or chocolate. But it seems the longer you drink the good stuff, the more appreciative of the flavor you become and need less sugar. I drink one cup every morning with one tablespoon of raw sugar and two tablespoons of half and half. I refuse to do fake sugar or fat-free anything. But that's the only cup I usually have in a day. And as someone else mentioned, adding cinnamon helps A LOT! I love adding a sprinkle of cinnamon to my coffee.

If you must have the latte or mocha, then drink only half a serving. You may find that it's worth it to you to drink less rather than sacrifice the flavor you love.
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! I really might start making the coffee with whole beans and grinding them myself. My Dad has always told me that you get the best cup of coffee that.

Also, I never usually get my coffee from coffee shops, I have the coffee that's at work...could be the problem.
  • Bella3119
    Options

That's what I did and I lost 10 pounds in one month. Once I started exercising I found I honestly didn't need the coffee for energy. :D
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If it tastes bitter you have the wrong coffee, or are making it too strong. Each roast is different, so play around. Lighter roasts have more caffeine, but can have a bitter bite to them, and sometimes a slightly sour aftertaste. Darker roasts have less caffeine and tend to have a richer flavor, and a sometimes smokey aftertaste. The flavor also depends greatly on where the beans were grown (including altitude), when they were harvested, how long they were in storage before and after roasting, and what type of climate they were grown in (a particularly dry or rainy season perhaps). You could also check out a flavored coffee like vanilla or hazelnut beans that will take the edge off.