Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    oops! double post!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I pack my creamer concoction and take it with me. I put 2 tbls Of sugar free French vanilla creamer and sugar free coffee syrup and put it in a plastic container and take it with me wherever I go! I pack a lot of foods with me....snacks and stuff so I stay focused and won't get too hungry.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I used to love (and probably still would) my large coffee from DD "light and sweet" - and flavored if I could get it!

Now I use Sugar Free flavor shots (Hazelnut) from DaVinci or darn it, forget the other popular brand. The bottle is expensive, but my waist line is worth it and I really do not want to work out more because I like my coffee in the 200 calorie range!

I also use 1 packet of Stevia in the Raw and either 1 TBSP of Fat Free Hazelnut Creamer (25 calories) or up to 1/2 a cup of Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk (18 calories).

There are many that will tell you that the Sugar Free flavored coffee shots are bad for you -- and they're probably right. They contain Splenda and are processed 0-calorie junk... but, it takes time to make the changes in your eating habits and you can't make them all at the same time... if you did that you would fail. I made a few changes but giving up coffee was not something I was ready to do. I can drink my tea black but I've tried over and over... and I grind and brew my own coffee and buy it at a local roaster... still, I like cream and sugar. Every now and again I find a cup of coffee that I can enjoy black... but not often.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! I really might start making the coffee with whole beans and grinding them myself. My Dad has always told me that you get the best cup of coffee that.

Also, I never usually get my coffee from coffee shops, I have the coffee that's at work...could be the problem.

Oooh- that's DEFINITELY the problem. Everyone at work thinks I don't drink coffee LOL! I'm definitely a grind-the-beans at home person. And I totally agree with the flavored coffee suggestion. Or you can add a drop or two of vanilla extract, almond extract or whatever you have for baking- gives the coffee a delicious flavor without adding any calories.
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    I pack my creamer concoction and take it with me. I put 2 tbls Of sugar free French vanilla creamer and sugar free coffee syrup and put it in a plastic container and take it with me wherever I go! I pack a lot of foods with me....snacks and stuff so I stay focused and won't get too hungry.

I like that advice. We have two full kitchens at work, so I keep a lot of food here so I have plenty of healthy options. For example on my desk I have, almonds, apples, peanut butter and the Progresso light vegetable soup, although I think I might start making vegetable soup at home and just bringing that in, this soup has tons of sodium in it. In the Fridge I have Carrots, some clementines and salad ingredients. It's much too easy for me to go out and get unhealthy food for lunch if I don't keep this stuff here.

Maybe, I should start keeping my own coffee stuff here too, lots of people have coffee machines at their desks.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate lowfat milk or coconut milk as a creamer (about 1/3 of a cup) and one packet of splenda. I need to get rid of the splenda but that will happen someday! Stevia does things to me. :)
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    I used to love (and probably still would) my large coffee from DD "light and sweet" - and flavored if I could get it!

Now I use Sugar Free flavor shots (Hazelnut) from DaVinci or darn it, forget the other popular brand. The bottle is expensive, but my waist line is worth it and I really do not want to work out more because I like my coffee in the 200 calorie range!

I also use 1 packet of Stevia in the Raw and either 1 TBSP of Fat Free Hazelnut Creamer (25 calories) or up to 1/2 a cup of Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk (18 calories).

There are many that will tell you that the Sugar Free flavored coffee shots are bad for you -- and they're probably right. They contain Splenda and are processed 0-calorie junk... but, it takes time to make the changes in your eating habits and you can't make them all at the same time... if you did that you would fail. I made a few changes but giving up coffee was not something I was ready to do. I can drink my tea black but I've tried over and over... and I grind and brew my own coffee and buy it at a local roaster... still, I like cream and sugar. Every now and again I find a cup of coffee that I can enjoy black... but not often.

Yeah, I have tried many many many times to get myself to like black coffee, the only time I can ever drink coffee black is if I get it flavored, iced and from Dunkin Donuts. Its winter now, so I wont be drinking iced coffee and I am trying to avoid any "fast food traps". But I will not be drinking my hot coffee the way I usually do anymore, if I have 2 cups that over 300 calories! So not worth it.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I brew my own that way you can control how strong it is. I use a Mr Coffee esspresso maker with steam wand. I brew one batch of coffee and steam skim milk to make a latte (half coffee - 1 cup, half skim milk - .33 cup = 38 cals) I add an International Delight Vanilla Latte creamer single (30 cals). Total 68 calories and very satisfying. Its a bit of work to operate but once you get the hand of it, it tastes just like a coffee house drink - yum!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I like to put Trader Joe's Organic Soy Milk in my coffee. Same calories as non fat milk but makes the coffee so much richer!! It has NO additives, or sugar. It is thick and creamy and I adjusted really easily to the taste. I use stevia for a sweetener. I have also started adding a big Tablespoon of Hersheys Cocoa Powder to my 20 oz mug and a few drops of peppermint extract. Reminds me of the Starbucks with less of a calorie hit!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I am on my 4th cup of coffee.. I am pretty sure I am the one that needs HELP :drinker:
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    substituting 1 splenda or equal or stevia for sugar and using the serving suggestion of cream will bring a home-brewed cup to between 35 to 70 calories, depending on the creamer.
  • shelleycronan
    Options
    I only use Coffeemate Fat Free Hazelnut Creamer. It adds 25 calories.

Sugar Free Coffeemate Hazelnut Creamer is only 15 calories!!
  • Legalchica
    Options
    mmmmmm coffeee
  • Legalchica
    Options
    mmmmmm coffeee
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    Hi,

If you try black coffee with no sugar you can get used to it, or if you want something that tastes better Green Tea or even better Jasmine tea.

Good Luck,

XX
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I suggest adding cinnamon to your coffee. It helps regulate your sugar levels and it cuts into the bitter flavor very well! I also use stevia to get a nice sweetness without adding calories. If I have it, I will put a few drops of skim milk in too.
  • Thanks for posting this question! I cut myself back to one (12-16 oz) cup per day, vs 2-3 to save on calories, but mine is only around 80 calories per cup. These responses have given me some great ideas to trim down more! Good luck!
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was such a Starbucks addict for a long time. I always got a regular latte (2% milk with regular syrup, usually vanilla). It took a little getting used to but I actually prefer my coffee black with a little bit of creamer (some days I don't need the creamer though) AND, it saves so much $$ to brew your own! Just scale back little by little and see how much sweetener you can do without.

Also, I know there is a lot of debate on this, but I have found for my own personal use that splenda or other sugar substitutes make me hungry. Does this happen to anyone else? Needless to say I don't use those anymore ...
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Maybe, I should start keeping my own coffee stuff here too, lots of people have coffee machines at their desks.

Yep. In general, office coffee sucks. The grounds are stale, the drip coffeemakers don't heat the water enough, and the coffee sits around on a heating plate for too long.

Then again, I'm such a coffee geek that I roast my own beans.
  • Lissa_1234
    Options

Yep. In general, office coffee sucks. The grounds are stale, the drip coffeemakers don't heat the water enough, and the coffee sits around on a heating plate for too long.

Then again, I'm such a coffee geek that I roast my own beans.

Roast your own beans? That sounds interesting...