Seriously!?!? Is this really a healthy snack?

Options
13»

Replies

• vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    To much sugar In yogurt Almonds are great protein
    The Emerald breakfast is sugary. Better breakfast on the go -> yogurt and a handful of almonds.

Not if you do greek yogurt and it has a lot of protein :)

Sounds like you need a more filling breakfast. Cheerios won't cut it. Try some cheese w/an apple, oatmeal with some almond butter or walnuts and a little coconut milk, apple with almond butter, greek yogurt with some berries and nuts, eggs with some grape tomato on ezekiel bread.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I have stopped eating cereals. I know a lot of people swear by 'whole grains', but I am not sold ... even the good stuff has a lot of salt and sugar ... I'd rather have a half of a sweet potato in the a.m. than cereal.

Agreed for me too! In a time crunch I do have some Kashi heart to heart (that go lean stuff is loaded with sugar though!) and I add in some protein with it and a good fat to try to balance it all out.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I have stopped eating cereals. I know a lot of people swear by 'whole grains', but I am not sold ... even the good stuff has a lot of salt and sugar ... I'd rather have a half of a sweet potato in the a.m. than cereal.

Agreed for me too! In a time crunch I do have some Kashi heart to heart (that go lean stuff is loaded with sugar though!) and I add in some protein with it and a good fat to try to balance it all out.

And see, that's the problem. You dodge sugar, it has fat. You dodge fat, it has sugar. You dodge salt ... it probably has the other two. It's like walking in a mine field.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Also consider that the fat in potato chips is coming from oil and the fat in your snack mix is healthy nut fat. The carbs in the chips are simple potato carbs and the nut mix is complex wheat carbs,
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Almonds, Apples my favs.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    The Emerald breakfast is sugary. Better breakfast on the go -> yogurt and a handful of almonds.

I don't like the Emeralds (for taste) but I think they coat most of those breakfast items in corn syrup of something to that effect. I like their cashews though (salted) - we want healthy fats

add some fruit as well. only cheerios for breakfast? need more
  • GoStaceyGo
    GoStaceyGo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, protein and health bars are really just candy bars with extra protein and fiber if your lucky. even snickers makes a protein bar! cmon now. if you can stay away from them. i keep some luna bars around just in case i am in a pinch or i forgot one of my meals. i had one the other morning for breakfast but only because i didnt sleep at home and it was that or nothing.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    in my opinion, protein and health bars are really just candy bars with extra protein and fiber if your lucky. even snickers makes a protein bar! cmon now. if you can stay away from them. i keep some luna bars around just in case i am in a pinch or i forgot one of my meals. i had one the other morning for breakfast but only because i didnt sleep at home and it was that or nothing.

Yeah, I am learning to keep those just in case snacks too. When meetings run long or lunch gets delayed, it's nice to have a bag of carrots, dried apricots ... something to keep me sane and not reaching for something unhealthy like the crap that's in the office or meetings (bagels, donuts, candy) ...

I've also thrown out a lot of the bars I used to eat. They sabotage you with at least 200 calories and a lot of it is sugar. Even the 'healthy' ones that are sold in the natural aisles. You're right, they are really glorified candy bars.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits aren't the healthiest food either. Very sugary and calorie dense. I think the natural food industry (and it is an industry like any other) has invested a lot of money and effort into brainwashng people that dried fruit is health food. Far better to eat fresh fruit.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get attacked for the fruit thing, I bet.
    Yes, I know dried fruit has nutrients and fiber. I just think too many people think they can eat it in unlimited amounts, and that is due largely to marketing. The calorie concentration in dried fruit can be very high, and the sugar concentration can be bad for people like me with sugar sensitivity.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    Dried fruits aren't the healthiest food either. Very sugary and calorie dense. I think the natural food industry (and it is an industry like any other) has invested a lot of money and effort into brainwashng people that dried fruit is health food. Far better to eat fresh fruit.

Portion. I have learned that a small snack bag with exact 1/4 cup of either dried figs or dried apricots is about 110 calories. Drink with plenty of water and you'll be set for another couple of hours.