Kitty advice, please

Options

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    www.softpaws.com The directions are on the site

SOFTPAWS! They're temporary, and if you have any issues installing them, your vet or groomer can probably do it.

Declawing is horrible horrible horrible! After volunteering at the Humane Society, they mentioned it's like removing the first part of your finger, since they use their claws as an extension of their fingers.

It would have been better to get an adult cat if you're too worried about it destroying things, but since you already have the kitten, try the soft paws until you get her trained :)

Please don't declaw!
  • LMLeu
    LMLeu Posts: 29
    Options
    If you want to keep kitty's claws, buy a cat tree/perch with carpeting, exposed wood, and rope covered posts on it to give the cat a variety of things to claw. If your furniture is leather, unfortunately in order to protect it, you may have to cover it. Our cat LOVES to stretch up and stick his claws into our leather dining room chairs, so we just bought some really modern/beautiful chair covers that actually compliment my design style anyway.

If you really feel the need to declaw, my suggestion is laser surgery. Its not as evasive and the cat is usally fine in a day or two. Just do it young, and if you haven't had the kitty neutered/spayed, do it at the same time (please have the kitty spayed or neutered, the stray population of cats is insane).

We had declawed cats when I was a kid and they were perfectly happy. They really didn't even know they didn't have claws...they still stretched up and tried to scratch all of their favorite surfaces.

The decision is entirely up to you, don't let anyone's personal preferences persuade you one way or the other. Opinons are like butt holes, everyone has them! Just get some good information on all options before you make your decision.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Considering de-clawing - is illegal in a lot of countries, that should tell you something. Where most people think that they only cut the nails off, this is incorrect - when you de-claw your cat you are cutting off its "finger" so to speak from the knuckle. De-clawing a cat can cause a multitude of issues, from biting to behavioural problems.
    When you de-claw you take away the cats main form of defence, a scratch is much less severe then getting bit.
    Even if the cat is intended to be an indoor cat, how can you guarantee that the cat will never escape from the house? And in which case how does it defend itself?

If you are worried about your furniture, then give the cat to someone who is going to love it more then a piece of property - people who de-claw because of expensive furniture - should NOT own cats.

I don't mean to sound hoity-toity at all, I just used to volunteer with the humane society and we had to deal with this all the time.

There are so many substitutes that you can do, with soft claws and training so that your cat doesn't "ruin" your stuff!!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    she has had it for like a week. How on earth does she know it's even going to be a problem?
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    people are insane. i can't believe people who are so pet dumb and feel like they need to have pets. Insane.

I totally know what you mean!! That's like people who are socially inept and critical and still feel the need to post on message boards!!!!!
    I'd rather be socially inept and critical than completely blind to the inhumanity of declawing a cat. I see a dog in your profile pic, appears to be a golden mix, does it bark? Would you have its vocal cords clipped so it woudln't upset anyone? Eh, i mean, thats a dog, this is just a cat. I'm sure its not the same.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Declawing is not good for the cat because if it has to survive on its own, it can't. But, I do have a solution. Buy several cans of SSSCat or StayAway. Either one is good. The former is cheaper and has no alarm. Both have a safe, humane and effective spray. When the cat goes into the restricted area, on the couch, living room or whatever, he or she gets a spray that scares it so badly it will only try it a time or two and will then give it up. I know. I use it with much success. I have both products and they both are great. You can buy them online. They're hard to find locally.

Typically, cats and nice furniture don't go together and if you prefer furniture to cats, you should not own cats. But either of these products should stop any problems before they start. Before you buy, figure out where you want the protection and buy accordingly. I have three cans in various locations.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Oh you meant that kitty...can't help you there.

j/k I couldn't resist. :ohwell:
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My husband surprised me with a new kitty for Christmas. I love this cat already. But my husband wants me to declaw her as we have very pricey furniture in the house. Now I realize declawing is very inhumane but I will kill this cat if it messes up my furniture. Can any of you cat owners offer me alternatives and do they really work? Ive heard about soft paws. Does anyone use them and more importantly do they work?

PS. This cat will be an indoor cat only!

LOVE SOFTPAWS!! I used them on my kitten for about 6 months, they would come off every now and then but mine came with like 120 caps per pack so it wasn't a big deal when she lost one or two. Then as she got older I let her slowly transition off them, got her a 5 foot tall scratching post and one that lays on the floor so she can roll on it. She doesn't scratch the furniture at all anymore.

She has a habit of scratching the carpet in the corners though, vet said that was a psychological issue with corner or something. (she's a rescue kitty- so i dont know how her previous owner treated her, although obviously not too well considering how sick she was when i got her). But I put clear packing tape everywhere she liked to scratch on the carpet and now she doesn't do it anymore. Something about the way the tape feels on their paws.... not real sure.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have had a variety of animals throughout my lifetime. You can train cats just like you train dogs.

I personally wouldn't declaw the cat. If I was that attached to my furniture where I think I may "kill" the cat, I'd find the cat a new home.

Pets will have accidents, it's inevitable.

Are you going to freak out if the cat stops using the litter box because you didn't clean it one day? What are you going to do if the cat hurls up a fur ball?

These are serious questions you and your significant other should have considered before even getting a pet.

Moral of the story: Don't buy a pet as a gift.

Yep, and I know the term "kill" wasn't literal (at least I hope there wouldn't be physical punishment), but if you are really that concerned about furniture and may react strongly if the cat does some damage before she learns, maybe the kitty should be returned.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    do what's best for you and your lifestyle. i agree with the laser declaw if you go that route. it's more expensive but less painful and the recovery time is faster. i had my cat declawed (with the laser) and he was running around and jumping on things the day he came home.
  • debswebby
    Options
    [
    Give the kitten to someone who will appreciate it, before it gets older and can't be adopted, and then get yourself a goldfish! Just keep the bowl away from anything it might splash on.

Love this
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have two cats who are almost 10 years old and I did not de-claw them. I think it is wrong and worried about them defending themselves if they did get loose. Which has happened several times and my male cat did get into a fight with an alley cat. I'm so glad he had claws to defend himself! I have scratching posts around the house and also clip their nails if they are starting to get sharp or claw at the furniture. If you start training your cat now as a kitten, you can save your furniture and take care of him in a humane way. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Kitten Mittens... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBoBoeWi-Tg&feature=related

... I really hope someone else watches It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    My dad is a vet and we have had declawed cats as long as I can remember. #2. Do the front ones only. If your cat ever gets outside and has to fight, they use their back claws, not their front ones.

I have honestly NEVER seen a cat fight with it's back paws or in anyway lash out from the rear. I would love to see a video of this, if someone could provide it. I have had a lot of cats and they have done their share of swatting, especially at my dogs. But, never with their back paws. Then again, they were never declawed. I think this is garbage. Cats are like small lions. Has anyone ever seen a lion go after it's prey with it's back legs? Do they now kickbox zebras?
  • TaraBeFree
    TaraBeFree Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My cats like to scratch the cardboard scratchers. I had to try a few things before I found out what they really like. Alternately, my cousin uses soft paws on their two cats and I have friends who regularly clip the nails (like monthly). You can often take them to the vet for nail clipping too.

Scratching has two purposes for indoor cats (that I know of and I'm not a vet - just a cat lover): 1) to remove the the nail cover as it grows out cause it's irritating and 2) to show other cats that they are your 'owner'.

Have fun with your cat!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you can't take the time to properly train your cat then find it a new home, you don't deserve to have one.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Omg don't declaw the cat! That's so cruel! Just trim her nails regularly and buy her a scratching post!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Did that many people really get all heated up at the mere mention of declawing that they totally missed the question being asked?

The poster said herself that she thinks declawing is cruel. She did not ask for people to agree or disagree with her! She asked about Softpaws and/or other alternatives! Sheesh.

We had planned to get our cat declawed but the vet told us she was too old. That ended up being fine, because she has never once clawed the furniture. We have bought her several scratching posts and the like, and I have never seen her scratch them, either. She occasionally will scratch our wooden doors but that seems to be more of an issue of wanting it open than scratching for scratching purposes.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My dad is a vet and we have had declawed cats as long as I can remember. #2. Do the front ones only. If your cat ever gets outside and has to fight, they use their back claws, not their front ones.

I have honestly NEVER seen a cat fight with it's back paws or in anyway lash out from the rear. I would love to see a video of this, if someone could provide it. I have had a lot of cats and they have done their share of swatting, especially at my dogs. But, never with their back paws. Then again, they were never declawed. I think this is garbage. Cats are like small lions. Has anyone ever seen a lion go after it's prey with it's back legs? Do they now kickbox zebras?

Ditto this - one of my previous male cats would constantly get into it (he was an outdoor kitty) and he used his front paws - I've witnessed it over and over... on birds, squirrels, other cats, etc. No front claws = your kitty is gonna get it's butt kicked if it ever gets out, and probably by a cat that still has claws.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Declawing is cruel. Look at your fingertip, and then go down to the first knuckle....now chop that off. That's what you've just done to the cat if you declaw it.

Yep. :frown: