Good bye Ramen Noodles!

Options

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I love ramen.

Good, legit ramen from a Japanese restaurant, that is...not that 25 cent, sodium infused excuse for ramen that passes in most households across America.

The good stuff has noodles, plus incredibly tender pork, seaweed, and vegetables in a fish broth (though there are many variations). Everyone should try it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Noodles are noodles. They are the same as pasta. If you buy fresh ramen, like from an Asian market they aren't fried.

Ramen Noodle recipe:

3/4 Cups Flour
    1 egg
    ~3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
    ~1 tbsp water (depending on flour and humidity)
  • acruz049
    acruz049 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I add only half the pack of the little flavor pack and chop up some watercrest and put 3 oz of chop chicken and it turns pretty nutritional. I eat it when I want something quick. I add chop spinach sometimes also but watercrest i find is better. if it has no nutrition then ADD IT! LOL =D enjoy.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you like Ramen you should try the Shirataki Noodles --- they are sold where tofu is sold in the produce section of the grocery stores (Price Chopper in my area).. you drain the liquid, rinse, and cook it just like Ramen Noodles with a broth or spaghetti sauce. They are 40 calories for a bag. They run about $2 per bag (compared to .20 a pack of Ramen) but look at the nutritional value.... (see link below)

I personally prefer the angel hair pasta size noodles because of the texture (kind of like if you undercook Ramen)...the smaller noodle size cooks nicer than the larger thicker size noodles.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm
  • melbellkid
    Options
    Love them dry in Broccoli slaw-it has a vinagarette dressing...gives it a great crunch...mmm
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Consider them a "treat" if you absolutely cannot give them up. They are extremely high in sodium. Toss the flavour packet and make a veggie stir fry with the noodles if you have to have them.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    pshh I love roman noodles!! and I will not give then up!! I still lose weight eating those if they fit into my daily cals. and they fill me up!! :) It's one of my many comfort foods!:heart:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Personally, ramen aren't my favorite thing, and I feel hungry, like, 2 seconds after eating them, so I haven't eaten them in a long time. However, if you want them and can fit them into your goals, I don't see the big deal. Or, if they don't really fit your goals, then just splurge on them every once in awhile. Life will go on.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of dry raman noodles as much as the next person but when I realized a block of Ramen is 2 servings and has hardly any nutritional value I decided I had better things to do with my 400 calories.... like eat steak!!!!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Love the ramen. Have loved it my entire life. And my blood pressure was 103/59 at my last physical, so bring on the sodium.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    For all that they're high in sodium they're somewhat low cal if you only eat a pack and make that a big meal.

My family swears by them during colds and allergy season. (We make them with added hot chili oil and tabasco.)

I sometimes add shrimp or chunks of chicken to add protein.

I wouldn't eat them every day but, in my opinion, as an occasional treat they're fine if you're not sensitive to sodium.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you like Ramen you should try the Shirataki Noodles --- they are sold where tofu is sold in the produce section of the grocery stores (Price Chopper in my area).. you drain the liquid, rinse, and cook it just like Ramen Noodles with a broth or spaghetti sauce. They are 40 calories for a bag. They run about $2 per bag (compared to .20 a pack of Ramen) but look at the nutritional value.... (see link below)

I personally prefer the angel hair pasta size noodles because of the texture (kind of like if you undercook Ramen)...the smaller noodle size cooks nicer than the larger thicker size noodles.

I understand that they taste like poo though.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Options
    You will pry my ramen noodles from my sodium-inflated cold dead hands.

Haha EXACTLY how I feel!
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't eat Ramen is because of my intolerance.
    Intolerant? Are you an anti-Ramenite?

LOL! Anti-Ramenite.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    everyone has told me they are bad and empty calories.....does anyone else eat Ramen?
    Filled with salt and just crap food - no value at all.

I'll make this easy.
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    Go with lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits, nuts and whole grains and low fat dairy.

And then allow yourself a treat from time to time from the bad food list, but just know what it is and what you're doing.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lol, I thought this was a thread escaped from the Pastafarian group!!

RAmen!!
  • MissJackie88
    Options
    I always used to eat TWO packets of them all by myself with plenty of hot sauce on top. Man I love me some Ramen Noodles but I haven't had any since I started working out about 2 months ago. Would I still have some? Probably. But I would only have about half of one packet and skip the sauce it comes with, just toss in some other things for flavor :)
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Options

I understand that they taste like poo though.

I heard that some of those noodles are zero cal!! Poo or not! If it looks like a noodle and i can smother it in light alfredo sauce it works for me!! Now that can be takin' wrong so don't mistake me for eating worms because they are shaped like noodles! You know what i mean! :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    What exactly does this mean? Olive oil is arguably one of the healthiest fats in the world (monounsaturated fats = great for your heart, your cholesterol, and tasty to boot), but it's still "processed" - you can't go out and tap an olive tree for oil like maple syrup. (Which, now that I think about it, is also processed because nobody would want that stuff out of the tree).

Man also makes low fat dairy - it don't come that way from skinny cows.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    lol catbrand

(Goes to check out the Pastafarian threads now.) :flowerforyou:

rAmen!