Good bye Ramen Noodles!

Options

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    people on diets are only allowed to eat one serving of a food at a time
    :huh:
    Who invented this rule? You know a "serving" of lettuce is like 1 cup, right? That's an awfully small salad.

Does this mean we won't be splitting a packet of poptarts? :frown:
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    what are ramen noodles?

You're better off not even trying them. they are tasty because of the salt, but it tastes cheap. I admit I used to buy it by the case, but even a full pack doesn't fill me up every time!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    If there are two servings and people on diets are only allowed to eat one serving of a food at a time... I guess I need to find a ramen eating buddy?

Everything is better with a buddy :)
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I miss Ramen, I'm gluten free so no Ramen for me. If it weren't for that I'd still eat it, everything in moderation!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    What exactly does this mean? Olive oil is arguably one of the healthiest fats in the world (monounsaturated fats = great for your heart, your cholesterol, and tasty to boot), but it's still "processed" - you can't go out and tap an olive tree for oil like maple syrup. (Which, now that I think about it, is also processed because nobody would want that stuff out of the tree).

Man also makes low fat dairy - it don't come that way from skinny cows.

Skinny Cow bars come from skinny cows though... the package says so.

:wink:

Oooo! Also, chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Little known fact. :happy:
  • zenthebird
    zenthebird Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My ramen recipe. No I have not banned it. I have no sodium issues. It is the most filling 270 calories I can imagine!

1. Break dry ramen block in half (weigh it if that's your thing). Put other half away for another day.
    2. Use a bunch of water-- same amount if you were cooking the entire package.
    3. Use either half the spice pack or a boullion cube.
    4. When noodles are done, add one egg and stir minimally until done.
    5. Add a splash of soy sauce, a cut-up green onion, 1/2 cup shredded cabbage, maybe some shredded carrots.

Enjoy!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love Ramen.... and I am teaching my child to love ramen too.. send CPS after me now.
    For her, I just cook the noodles without the seasoning packet, drain and toss them with a little parmesan. She loves the long curly noodles!
    For me, I make "Gourmet Top Ramen": add any of the following: steamed shrimp, spinach, bok choy or chinese cabbage, maybe diced chicken, drop in an egg to poach, diced tofu, a few drizzles of sesame oil or chili oil, sprinkle liberally with ginger when I am sick, or maybe curry powder, steamed broccoli or cauliflower.... The possibilites are endless!
    Yes, a lot of calories etc, don't eat it very often now that I am tracking, but when I do, I make it count lol!!!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    What exactly does this mean? Olive oil is arguably one of the healthiest fats in the world (monounsaturated fats = great for your heart, your cholesterol, and tasty to boot), but it's still "processed" - you can't go out and tap an olive tree for oil like maple syrup. (Which, now that I think about it, is also processed because nobody would want that stuff out of the tree).

Man also makes low fat dairy - it don't come that way from skinny cows.

Skinny Cow bars come from skinny cows though... the package says so.

:wink:

Oooo! Also, chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Little known fact. :happy:

And strawberry milk comes from strawberry cows! Did you know that strawberry cows are naturally seedless and have less calories than a burger? Plus, you can eat them RAW!!! :D
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    What else are us poor people supposed to eat?!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try Thai Kitchen noodles, if your store carries them. They are rice noodles instead of wheat. They come in little square packages just like Raman. Come in several yummy flavors. I believe they are around 150 calories. A lot less carbs, sodium, etc. I love all the different flavors.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Ramen is horrible! Have you read the nutrition label on that? the sodium alone is enough to kill you. Also you have to double the numbers for some becuase they actually list it as two servings in a package but everyone just eats one package so that isn't realistic.

When I eat them, which is rare mind you, it's TWO packages, not one. :laugh:
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You will pry my ramen noodles from my sodium-inflated cold dead hands. Cooked with an egg & some bok choy, then a spash of mirin & some sriatcha, om nom nom.

Mmm that sounds so good! I'm not a huge fan of Ramen nowadays, but it got me through the famine when I was (as Suze Orman puts it) young, fabulous, and broke. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Last night I had Shirakiku - Chuka Soba noodles.

They were better quality than Ramen & not bad for calories.

Half the package (which was a HUGE pile of noodles) was 400 calories.

Not ideal food, but a good substitute if you're craving Ramen.
  • rlarraza
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but tofu shirataki noodles are a great substitute if you are craving noodles. 20 cal a serving and lots of protein. They smell funny when you open the bag...kind of fishy...but rinse and parboil for a couple of minutes...I had mine with some leftover, grilled chicken breast and sprinkled parmesan cheese on it. Really good and highly recommended.
  • BundangKiwiGal
    BundangKiwiGal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I live in Korea. Ramen is a staple food and the extra hot and spicy varieties are great for hangovers :drinker:
    Haven't had any in a while though... Might have some for dinner
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love Shrimp Ramen. Yummy.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I love Ramen....it hasn't killed me yet...

If I have the calories, I have it. It's that simple. Would I eat it daily? Probably not but definately not worthy of cutting out of my life forever.

FOREVERRRRRRR.
  • joyfulnoise100
    joyfulnoise100 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love ramen.

Good, legit ramen from a Japanese restaurant, that is...not that 25 cent, sodium infused excuse for ramen that passes in most households across America.

The good stuff has noodles, plus incredibly tender pork, seaweed, and vegetables in a fish broth (though there are many variations). Everyone should try it.

Now that sounds amazing to me... my only experience with ramen is as everyone else is describing. And I have not had too hard a time giving those up, along with processed mac and cheese. But I'm just lucky that isn't something that I really love or crave. I'll have to try the version you're talking about though. I'm sure Seattle's gotta have some decent places to try it out!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ramen every now and then. Though I only eat the noodles (rinse them once they're cooked to rinse off some of the grease...or boil twice...I know some people do that) and then I use my own spices because the spice packets are what's so full of sodium and they're disgusting. And I love adding stuff to them. I like to add meat and veggies to make it more a meal than just noodles.

For the most part I'm against completely avoiding certain things. Some things are okay once or twice a year or once a month so I still eat ramen every now and then. Doesn't help that it's cheap...I'm poor...and my boyfriend likes ramen noodles.
  • yunakins
    Options
    I adore ramen noodles, especially with fried shrimp. I went through a peroid in my teens where I ate ramen for a whole month. Suprisingly, I lost about 10lbs from it which I can't put my finger on how or why.