Anyone else trying to give up chocolate in 2012

Options

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Nope! My goal is to learn to eat at my goal weight calories and not deny myself anything. It's a slower process losing, but it's working and totally doable. We have chocolate everyday, we get those 70 calories special dark hershey bars. Perfect for hitting the spot and not too much.

I say don't give it up, but find balance in moderation. Good luck whatever you do and Happy New year!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Um, no.

Dark chocolate has real health benefits. Of course, I only eat organic vegan chocolate, and since I eat very little sugar, ever, I find most of the time that a small square of chocolate is sufficient, and often too much.

I had one bite of a chocolate treat on christmas... I had to give the rest of it to someone else.

I do, occasionally, have raw cacao powder added to a smoothie.. all the health benefits, none of the sugars...

In fact. I really haven't sworn off anything, though as I said, I have cut processed sugar out of my diet pretty much completely at this point, mainly because I have better uses for my calorie allotment!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try carob. I had never heard of this until we tried to find healthy alternatives for our kids at Halloween.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    If you blow on chocolate right before you eat it, the calories will slide right off.
    Great idea!!!! :wink:
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    No, not if I want to not end up in an orange jump suit. Chocolate is my sanity.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I should have realised when I posted this that I would get a lot of reasons why I shouldnt give it up. Bottom line is I dont want to feel I cant control how much I eat so for me I need to cut down on it. I am not aiming to never touch it again as that is totally unrealistic and I would rather slit my throat. Its a bad habit I need to gain some mastery over.
    Go out and buy the absolute BEST chocolate you can find... like, 1 piece of Godiva, or something. Do this once a week. Record the calories. ENJOY that sucker!! I personally go for the best vegan dark chocolate I can get -- like Endangered Species brand, or Theo. One bar will last me a month.

NEVER stoop to buying/eating "cheap" chocolate again.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd rather shoot my self in the foot.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. People wouldn't like me if I didn't eat chocolate.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hell no!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I should have realised when I posted this that I would get a lot of reasons why I shouldnt give it up. Bottom line is I dont want to feel I cant control how much I eat so for me I need to cut down on it. I am not aiming to never touch it again as that is totally unrealistic and I would rather slit my throat. Its a bad habit I need to gain some mastery over.
    Go out and buy the absolute BEST chocolate you can find... like, 1 piece of Godiva, or something. Do this once a week. Record the calories. ENJOY that sucker!! I personally go for the best vegan dark chocolate I can get -- like Endangered Species brand, or Theo. One bar will last me a month.

NEVER stoop to buying/eating "cheap" chocolate again.

Yup, this!

I read an article about the book "French Women Don't Get Fat" which stated that you should limit splurges for health but, when you do splurge, make sure it's worth it. I haven't wasted chocolate calories on cheap, sugary chocolate in quite some time. However, I have enjoyed some great chocolate truffles, etc. Just finished off my home-made holiday chocolate-covered peanut butter/date balls. So yummy and makes a Reese's taste like real junk. I'm better at limiting myself than I am at deprivation.
  • javajunki
    Options
    If you blow on chocolate right before you eat it, the calories will slide right off.
    Also: Equal amounts of white and dark chocolate cancel each other out, like matter and anti-matter.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I won't cut anything out of my diet, life is just too short to not enjoy what I enjoy...just figure it in my calorie count for the day...love my evening beer or two (or three) and have fit that into my calorie allotment. Have lost 8 lbs in 3 wks. Chocolate abounds at work (medical field), and even with a big bowl full in the break room....one piece.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That would be a big N-O! It's about moderation not deprivation!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Also: Equal amounts of white and dark chocolate cancel each other out, like matter and anti-matter.

Unfortunately Top Deck exists to disprove that lol.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

IMHO, I don't really think most of the respondants were giving you reasons to not give it up...they were explaining why they wouldn't give it up. You did post the question, "Anyone else trying to give up chocolate?" not the statement, "I'm giving up chocolate because it controls me and I want to find other like-minded individuals" which it looks like, from your subsequent responses, what you really wanted in the first place.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another one who wouldn't. I have a fun size chocolate most days. It's only 100 calories and I enjoy it.

Won't keep it in my house though. That's a recipe for disaster.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's a big fat HELL NO!
  • shipwreck3
    Options
    I quit smoking...a year and 4 months*WOOHOO*. I think if I were to vow off chocolate too- WELL my familyJUST might disown me ;OP
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I ate tiramisu tonight....which had fresh shaved chocolate on top.... it was delicious....

I am very happy I don't give up foods! :D
  • hbar98
    hbar98 Posts: 39
    Options
    My last name is Hershey...it is impossible for me to give up chocolate... ;)

As far as giving up food...no. Moderation, yes. If you force yourself to give up something that you truly love you'll just end up eating too much of it later.