Body Fat Reduction (to up calorie intake or not)

Options
13»

Replies

• leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump...and if anyone can look at my post just above the last two

What did you set your goal to be? Lose 1lbs per week? What kind of workout do you do? I just thought providing those answers will help. ^.^

I am ~50kg and when I set to maintenance, MFP gave me 1490 calories to play around with. It seems like yours is even lower than mine. So I'm not sure what is up. Let us know. At least from macro-nutrient, it seems all right to me.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Anyone care to take a look over my diary? I'm trying to gain more lean muscle. I have gradually increased my cals over last 6 months and have noticed my weight go up a fair bit. I'm still not sure i'm eating enough. Trying to have cheat meals here and there to mix it up. I'm 5ft...54kg, 26% BF.

Okay, I looked at your diary and profile. I think your foods look great, although, I agree that you need to up your calories a bit more. What I was most concerned with for your desire to lose body fat and gain lean muscle is that you aren't doing any real strength training. Body Pump is great for cardio and muscular endurance, but you won't get strength and definition from it. I would recommend adding some heavy weight training, where you are lifting as much as you can for no more then 10 reps per set. The last rep should be all you can do to maintain proper form with that weight. If you really want to focus on strength, you can go with even fewer reps.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well, most of this conversation is over my head, but yes, I would eat more calories, and carbs sound pretty good from what you've described. You could probably have some more brown rice, but honestly, I'd eat anything after only eating 1200 calories for a few weeks.

Anyway, ChaLEAN Extreme can be done entirely with resistance bands. I think it is a great muscle building workout.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump...and if anyone can look at my post just above the last two

What did you set your goal to be? Lose 1lbs per week? What kind of workout do you do? I just thought providing those answers will help. ^.^

I am ~50kg and when I set to maintenance, MFP gave me 1490 calories to play around with. It seems like yours is even lower than mine. So I'm not sure what is up. Let us know. At least from macro-nutrient, it seems all right to me.

I set my goal for 1/2 loss a week as i know at my weight it is not recommended to try and lose any more than that per week. I'm 54kg, exercise 5-6 per week and put in 'lightly active'. I'm a PE teacher so on my feet a fair bit.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Anyone care to take a look over my diary? I'm trying to gain more lean muscle. I have gradually increased my cals over last 6 months and have noticed my weight go up a fair bit. I'm still not sure i'm eating enough. Trying to have cheat meals here and there to mix it up. I'm 5ft...54kg, 26% BF.

Okay, I looked at your diary and profile. I think your foods look great, although, I agree that you need to up your calories a bit more. What I was most concerned with for your desire to lose body fat and gain lean muscle is that you aren't doing any real strength training. Body Pump is great for cardio and muscular endurance, but you won't get strength and definition from it. I would recommend adding some heavy weight training, where you are lifting as much as you can for no more then 10 reps per set. The last rep should be all you can do to maintain proper form with that weight. If you really want to focus on strength, you can go with even fewer reps.

Well i do try and stay on top of my foods making sure i'm getting as much clean foods in and making in varied. Any idea what you think i should up to with cals? I was told 1900 but to do this gradually. I do Bodypump but am also heavy weight training 3 times a week with low reps (6). I just log my weight training as bodypump as i don't know how else to log it. I'm awaiting a Polar HRM this week so can be more accurate with strength training cals. I am doing it though! I do 3 strength sessions, 1 session with my PT which includes strength, plyometrics etc, maybe 1 or two bodypump and some short HITT cardio.

Any thoughts now i've told you this?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Well i do try and stay on top of my foods making sure i'm getting as much clean foods in and making in varied. Any idea what you think i should up to with cals? I was told 1900 but to do this gradually. I do Bodypump but am also heavy weight training 3 times a week with low reps (6). I just log my weight training as bodypump as i don't know how else to log it. I'm awaiting a Polar HRM this week so can be more accurate with strength training cals. I am doing it though! I do 3 strength sessions, 1 session with my PT which includes strength, plyometrics etc, maybe 1 or two bodypump and some short HITT cardio.

Any thoughts now i've told you this?

Based on your body composition and weight and guessing at moderately active not counting exercise, I'd recommend 1440 calories as your maintenance before exercise. I set my goal calories at maintenance level and then when exercise is added I multiply it by 0.8 and eat no less then that. So, if you exercise and burn 300 calories, then the total goal will be 1740. 1740 x 0.8 = 1392 Minimum calories you should consume.

As for estimating calorie burns from weight training, you can't get an accurate estimate with a HRM. HRM's are only good for steady state activities such as cardio. With weight training, your HR goes drastically up while lifting and then drops dramatically while resting between sets. And if you are lifting heavy enough to only do 6 reps, you need 2-5 minutes rest between sets for the creatine phosphate that is used for fuel to replenish, so there is plenty of time for the HR to drop. For weight training, I go by a METs compendium that I was given during my bachelors in exercise physiology classes. You can find the one I use here: http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf Take the MET level for the activity that is closest to your actual activity and multiply it by your weight in kilograms and then by 0.0175 to get calories per minute. Then you can multiply by how many minutes you do the activity to get the calorie burn for it.