fit and fun sized - those under 5'4" - January 2012

Options

Replies

• tmckee0933
    Options
    So My daughter is getting married on the 28th of Jan. and I would REALLY like to drop a couple of pounds by then...........I'm soooo not good at this diet thing, no will power at all. 5'3 at 146 and stuck on that #, ugggg Nice to have friends along for the ride though.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    Hi! I would love to join cause i need small daily challenges. I'm 5"2' and y'all are right 10lbs shows. I lost 18lbs and gained back 8lbs in 2012. My NYR is to lose 20-25lbs;quit smoking; get back to size 5 or smaller jeans; run 1.5 miles in less than 18:14 for military pt test; finish 30ds :) ; and generally be a healthier, happier person.

edit: it's really discouraging when I'm doing c25k and run at 3-5 MPH but taller people can easily run 6-8 MPH. I know they're working just as hard but man I feel slow. lol

What branch? Im navy and getting ready for my spring PRT.

Im 5'1 134lbs trying to reach between 115-125lbs next year :)
  • rrcaudill
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and obese at 181 pounds. My goal is to lose 60 pounds in 2012. Feel free to add me as a friend...I need all the motivation I can get. :)
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love to join cause i need small daily challenges. I'm 5"2' and y'all are right 10lbs shows. I lost 18lbs and gained back 8lbs in 2012. My NYR is to lose 20-25lbs;quit smoking; get back to size 5 or smaller jeans; run 1.5 miles in less than 18:14 for military pt test; finish 30ds :) ; and generally be a healthier, happier person.

edit: it's really discouraging when I'm doing c25k and run at 3-5 MPH but taller people can easily run 6-8 MPH. I know they're working just as hard but man I feel slow. lol

Air force reserves. We have to pass it every 6 mos just like active duty and I suck at running cause I'm short and smoke. I'm 139ish hoping for 120-125. I was 125 when I went through BMT.

edit: Where are you stationed, I live in pensacola, fl but my AFRC Base is at Moody AFB in Valdosta, Georgia
  • melissammundy
    Options

Air force reserves. We have to pass it every 6 mos just like active duty and I suck at running cause I'm short and smoke. I'm 139ish hoping for 120-125. I was 125 when I went through BMT.

edit: Where are you stationed, I live in pensacola, fl but my AFRC Base is at Moody AFB in Valdosta, Georgia

Im stationed in norfolk, virginia. Does the USAF offer cardio alternatives? We get to either run it, swim, do the stationary bike, or the elliptical. I usually do the bike or the elliptical but im getting ready for the run this year! We can do it :)
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Im stationed in norfolk, virginia. Does the USAF offer cardio alternatives? We get to either run it, swim, do the stationary bike, or the elliptical. I usually do the bike or the elliptical but im getting ready for the run this year! We can do it :)

Yes and No, If you are injured or on a profile(waiver) you can walk it or use the exercise bike but if not you have to run... ugh. I'm not injured though. YAY me?lol
  • Crmccauley
    Options
    I need friends! The more I interact with people who are determined to make good choices and exercise, the more I want to do better also. Just reading comments from others makes me want to get up and get movin' :) Add me :) I am 5'3". I really really like running, but am *totally* out of shape for that at the moment. I have seen a lot of people writing about couch to 5k. Sounds interesting. I would love to get into that again. But it has been a loooooong time!
  • spuleri
    spuleri Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1-1/2'' and just joined MFP in 2011, but have not used it very consistently. As much as I have realized that tracking my calories every day definitely helps me lose weight I tend to give up any time I slip up or have a bad day. I have a lot of weight to lose and I am hoping that 2012 is my year to do it. I look forward to being able to talk to other people that have the same struggles. Have a great New Year's everyone!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Suzee and I'm 5'3". I joined MFP on Dec 22, 2010 (stupid I know!). I did lose a total of 18 pounds by the end of June, but then I went on a 2 week cruise, gained back 6 of those pounds and then continued to put a little more back on too. I stayed steady at a 12 pound loss for the year, but really have another 40 pounds I'd like to lose.

MFP has been helpful but I slacked off participating once I became employed in November. It was much easier to get exercise in when I wasn't working, and haven't found any time to get to the gym or even get outside for a walk since I started working. I currently have a side job out of my home (baking cinnamon rolls - I honestly don't eat them) that has kept me running from the minute I get home until midnight to 1am. I'm thinking the demand will slack off since the holidays are over, and then I'll have to really try to get to the gym in the evenings. I really feel so much better when I'm getting the exercise in, and unfortunately, I'm not one of those who can get up at 4am to workout!

I'm looking forward to getting back on track with logging and working in the workouts in 2012 and am really happy to see a group that focuses on the challenges we "vertically challenged" people have to deal with! Thanks for starting this!!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'd love to join for 2012, I'm 5'3" and have lost 20kg (40 pounds) calorie counting

I'm from Australia, so have to keep converting pounds to kilos lol!

I want to lose another 10-20 pounds and keep it all off this year

Oh and I have no friends yet, so please feel free to add me :)
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers to this forum! You have joined the "group" just by posting here. You fill find support here. We are all in the same boat in trying to live on what calories us shorties are allowed to have each day. It will take me a while to get to know everyone.

To those serving in the military - thank you for your service!

To those new - MFP helped me where I had failed so many times in the past. Logging everything everyday is the first key step. After that we all sort of find our own way to success as we are all so different in what we eat and what our life style is.

I joined MFP several years ago. From November to January I just logged and tracked ACCURATELY (key word here) what I was eating and realized I did eat enough to weigh what I did. I started at 178 pounds and I use to be 5'3". lol I got down to 137 in 2010, but put 10 pounds back on in 2011. So, I restart today at 147. My goal is 125 and I know I can get there if I get on track and stay there.

Again, welcome back to those who have been posting here and welcome to those new. This forum is for all of us. Any suggestions are welcome.

Let's get this year started,

Jeannie
  • stonea22
    Options
    Hi Everyone who has joined since I posted.

I am also doing the 30 Day Shred, on level 1 day 3 today.

Congrats to all who have already lost a lot of weight. You all are inspirational for all of us.

Feel free to add me as a friend so we can do this together.
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There is a group for short people 5'5 and under, its new and growing come join and lose weight together

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1660-shorties
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'd love to join this group. I'm 5'2 1/2" and I turned 50 this year. I joined MFP last March and it is the reason I was able to take off almost 19 pounds this past year. I have another 10 I'd like to lose. Sad thing is, I could have done it by now. I went on vacation in July and got off track. I've used pretty much every excuse to avoid exercise since then. Some have been valid, an injured knee, depression (remember, I turned 50 this year, and realized I actually do look it - blech!). Others excuses have just been excuses, too busy, too tired, don't like the change of ownership at the gym.
    My husband and I are planning to go on a cruise this year and I have a nephew getting married. I really want the pounds gone so I can feel I look my best. I know I feel better when I exercise, mentally and physically. I'm looking forward to the daily challenges.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too for support. I'm attempting to lose 20 1bs this year. I have a group that has a monthly challenge if you are interested in joining us. It's mainly for 40+ age group since we need a different type of workout when we get older.

I'll be reposting the January challenge today!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/410810-40-workout-challenge-new-every-month
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Jeannie, I completely agree - soooo glad 2011 has come to a close, it was an awful year for me in so many areas! Hugs to you as I know yours was even more difficult year but appreciate your leadership in keeping the thread alive!

Hello to all the new posters, this is an excellent collection of ladies :smile: I'm 5'2-1/2 on a good day (5'2" on most) and just weeks away from my 31st bday.

Well, 2011 was full of challenges for me - I started the year in the low 150s, watched my weight grow to HW 160 as I took solace in food while watching my relationship unravel :brokenheart: Facing the inevitable, I finally left him in Aug and have been fairly successful in my weight loss these past 5 months - almost 20 lbs gone :bigsmile:

:smile: I am happy to be ringing in the new year at 140 lbs - I still have about 10 more to lose, however, and these last 10 are proving quite difficult so I expect it will take the better part of the year to work them off. My goal is 130 but I'm less concerned about #s as long as I get to a point where I feel & look good and hope to have few "dunk" tests this year to monitor my body fat losses.

I am an avid runner - mostly half marathons but I also mix in some longer trail races or 10ks. Losing some weight has definitely helped my running times improve :drinker: Unfortunately I've had to take a bit of a break from running to work on a hip injury, however trying to swim/bike/yoga until I can get back into running.

2012 goals:
    - improve strength (unsuccessful attempt at 30 Day Shred this year - it killed my knees!)
    - beat 2 hr time goal in Half Marathon, hopefully finish my weight loss in 2012 so that I can try for a 50k in 2013!
    - bring my body fat below 25%
    - devote more time/energy to my friendships - a tough lesson learned this past year when I discovered the "real" friends
    - continue to find alternate coping strategies which DON'T include emotional eating
    - help my mom find the motivation to improve her own weight :flowerforyou: I love her dearly but I learned some very disfunctional eating habits and poor body image issues from her
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!! Tomorrow I AM STARTING REAL EXERCISE AT LEAST 4 DAYS A WEEK!! I am going to try for no sweets too (this may need to be altered and I will be okay with this). Also, I need to get more fruits & veggies into my diet. I look forward to reading of everyone's progress!!
    ~Kim
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome to those new comers who have posted here. You have joined the group just by posting here.

Many of us are in more than one forum group, so if you want to check out the others ones that posted links in here, please feel free to do so, but I do hope that you will continue to post here. Posting does help and each group develops it's own personality from the people who post there.

Barbie, thanks for posting about the 100 squats for 100 days challenge. I've joined it and so far so good. It doesn't take long and I think it will help with overall core strength.

FitnFun- Yes, please keep us in the loop on monthly challenges. Sometimes it can be hard to find them in the forums, so it will be good to have an insider posting here with us.

Well, the two teenagers just got up, so I need to go do Mom things. (You know those things they can really do themselves, but will just keep interrupting me for until I get off.) lol

Have a great day everyone and may we all make good choices today.

Thanks,

Jeannie
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kmcw50
    kmcw50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 5'0" and I'm 51 and I'm going thru menopause so it's really getting hard for me. I've lost a total of 30 lbs in 2011 and I yo yo up and down 3 lbs here and there but I have been able to maintain the full 30 lbs. I still need to lose 30 lbs more to be "normal" size for my height! I exercise a lot and try to eat healthy but don't always succeed in that catagory.

So yes, I'm in for 2012! I'm aiming for a healthy weight at least by the beginning of Summer :)

Good luck to all of us.