Do you run in the rain? Do you care if people are starring a

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Okay My question is, would you still run in the rain? but the weather is not cold any-ways, just raining?? and do you care if people on the road are staring at you running? I ask this because i live in a main street, i got a cross trainer at home but i just want to go out with my iPod and run but i care about what people are thinking, people that are driving by and looking at me lol .

They're probably not really staring, you maybe feel a little self-conscious and think they are looking. Most likely they are looking because you are moving and people tend to look when they see movement. Hell, I look if I see a leaf blowing in the wind!

Stick your i-pod on and go for that run, once you have done it two or three times, you probably won't even notice other people at all.

When I see people running outdoors, I'm not looking because I think they are crazy, I am looking and admiring how good they are for getting off their butts, truly.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain, snow, sleet, wind, heat, cold, night, I run in whatever conditions mother nature throws at me. If I only ran in nice weather then I would only be running about twice a week. Who cares who stares at whom, focus on your run and ignore the other people.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain, snow, sleet, wind, heat, cold, night, I run in whatever conditions mother nature throws at me. If I only ran in nice weather then I would only be running about twice a week. Who cares who stares at whom, focus on your run and ignore the other people.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I wear a wind breaker-type jacket in the rain, regardless of temperature. Your shirt tends to get drenched in a few moments of time. I also wear my crappy shoes because I don't want it to effect my next-days workout. Plus, I always think of one of the military's motto's while I'm running in the rain, "if it's raining, we're training".

I don't care if people are staring at me, most of the time they don't really have any opinion. The typical thought is "gee, I wish I would get off my butt and run". No big deal.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain makes me feel like a kid again - and, as others above, I've had some of my best runs in the rain! But, you need to leave the electronics at home or make sure they don't get wet. I ruined an iPod in the rain. LOL. When I first started jogging and was more overweight, I worried a bit about people looking at me and would walk every time I was near a person....it didn't take too long to get over that. I mean, no body looks good running. hahahahahahaha. Most of us look like we are in deep concentration or something. Who cares? Forget about others and just have a good time!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do run in the rain, but not if it is absolutely blowing a gale as well as that's just grim, and I figure exercise should be enjoyable, not a chore.

I don't like meeting people on my runs, but it's unavoidable. I am much happier if I don't, though.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain as long as it's not bucketing down and lightning. I run in all weather pretty much as long as it's not really dangerous. I won't run outside if the ground is covered in ice (but if I got some of those trax thingees for my shoes I'd do that as well).

People honk, yell, say crap to me... I don't care. Sometimes I get mad about it and I react, other times I just keep going. I wouldn't leave the house if I worried about what people thought of me.

(I also cycle in the rain)

I remember the first time I was out running and the heavens just opened up. I was out with my husband - he went and hid under a bridge and I kept going. I never felt so ALIVE! It was truly amazing. Of course I lost my husband though because I didn't realise he wasn't still behind me but we found each other shortly afterwards so all turned out well :)

It's raining now and I'm going to get dressed to go out. I live in the Netherlands, it rains here a lot.
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I learned to live with that when I was in the Marines. "If it ain't raining, we aren't training" You're going to get wet from sweat anyway...go for it.
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Living in Northern England - we have little choice! ;-) My blog today is about being drowned on runs!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, I have so many other cardio alternatives, running in the rain is not happening.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I'll tell you that whenever I see someone (regardless of age, size, speed) running in the rain, snow or cold, I watch them as I pass, even in the rearview mirror sometimes and secretly admire them. I see that person as strong, motivated and not detered by anything.

Be strong and proud - Who cares what anyone else thinks because you never know what it is and in their car they may be saying "You go girl"
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Bit of drizzle maybe, but not a downpour in the winter because I don't enjoy feeling cold, and I have many of other far more pleasant exercise options open to me. Happy to walk in the rain though.

As for people in cars staring at me, I've no idea whether they do or not, and wouldn't care if they did stare or what they thought. The opinions of total strangers have never been a factor in my choosing whether to do something or not, only the opinion of people I care about.

Really, I've no interest in people in cars when I'm running, I'm focussed on the hedges and fields and just enjoying being outdoors. :smile:
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k in the rain yesterday. It was almost cold enough for the rain to turn to snow, but other than the fact that my feet were pretty cold by the end of the race from my shoes being soaked from stepping in puddles I could not avoid, it wasn't too bad.
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes I run in the rain. I've only recently started running so maybe my motivation is still high enough that it doesn't bother me but the few times I have been out so far it has been pouring - I do live in Scotland though so I dont really have a lot of choice. I dont care if people are lookiing at me either, gives them something to talk about, lol.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I actually love running in the rain! I find it so envigorating. I think its that feeling of being at one with nature. I usually run laps around a field near to me, so it can look beautiful in the rain...although soggy running shoes and wet socks are not a good feeling!!! I dont enjoy running in public places, however, I always feel people are watching me! If I had the choice I would run on grass rather than concrete. I havent been running for 2 months, but will start again once the children are back in school!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. While I am not a runner, I love the rain, and enjoy going for walks in it. I take an umbrella, which I'm sure you can't do when running, but I say if the temperature and wind permit, get out there and kick it!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some rain gear to run in, so I will run in the rain.

Running in the cold and rain can suck, but on a warm summer day, there is nothing as awesome as a nice run in the rain. I love it!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    For the people worried about negative comments - that says something about the people making the comments, not you. I have had people saying all sorts of nasty things to me over the years, regardless of my weight. Some people are just nobbers. And knowing they are such, they should be completely ignored. I get many many times more positive comments from passers by when I am running than I do negative. Most people are really impressed by someone out running. Anyone who isn't is an idiot who deserves to be ignored.
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Do it!! It's definitely a great feeling. And people are only staring in admiration if they stare, believe me they're probably thinking "wow she's hardcore! I wish I could do that!"

Go for it, and at the end of the day, your health and weightless journey is about you and no one else. Be proud that you're doing great things for yourself!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to calling myself a runner...however, I remember thinking one warm drizzly day..wow, this would be a great day for a run. I plan on doing that the next time it rains.

I live in Wisconsin and we get snow and lots of cold weather. Every morning on my way to work I see this woman running.. rain, shine, and snow.. I think wow, what dedication! I only hope to achieve that.

so, like many others have said..go for it!