Do you run in the rain? Do you care if people are starring a

Options

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I made a special playlist on my mp3 just for running in the rain! Today it is windy (50mph) and overcast....I keep putting off run hoping it will start to at least drizzle! The other day it was 26 degrees and it was one of the best run/walks I have had so far! I was over 230 lbs when I started walking last summer. The police (small town) would stop and ask if I needed a ride home. Now they honk and wave and if I see them in a store comment on dedication and results....
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is nice and refreshing. Especially if it's not too windy. I probably wouldn't if it was heavy rain and blowing a hooley.

I think I'm invisible while I'm running. I was out on the footpath and there were about 30 people in a group walking in the opposite direction and hoarding the footpath and not one made space so I could get past. So I had to dodge them by running in the mud by the path. :(
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog in the rain. Let them stare. In my neighborhood, there is one guy who runs at four in the morning, if I'm still awake, I hear him go past every morning. Including in a sleet storm one time!

I probably wouldn't risk trying to jog in icy weather because I'm clumsy and I don't want to fall and throw my back out, but rain doesn't bother me. The neighborhood kids are often out in it, and it's not hurting them!
  • loischapman
    Options
    who cares what people think! you know what they are thinking don't you. hmmm look at her running good for her , I should be doing that...so get going and just do it!!! happy new year!
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    I just did! It's cool out too, and I found it easier on my lungs with the moist air, plus you don't feel like you're sweating or overheating like you do in the summer.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I like to run in a gentle rain. I don't run if it is pouring or there is lightening. I prefer, however, to run in the snow... again, not a blizzard.
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My first day of c25k was run in the rain. It made me feel like a hardcore athlete :blushing:
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would have run today except we're getting some nasty wind with the rain. :angry:
    I can't wait for the warm rain runs!! I just started running in August. It was HOT out most of the time. Never under 85 degrees and HUMID. We didn't get much rain this last summer so I'm anxious to see what this Spring and Summer give me!
    I'll be running the snow as long as the roads are clear of ice. :smile:

I got over my fear of running in front of people very quickly. I could care less what others think. :happy:
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in Oregon, if I didn't run in the rain I would never run. lol. The proper clothing makes a HUGE difference. I'm more comfortable outside in my running gear than I am with my normal clothes. Used to care that people looked at me, but then I realized that whenever I stared at people I immediately thought 'I should fit a run in today'. So now whenever I go for a run, especially in crappy weather, I know I could be motivating people and I don't care if they look.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain also. Unless it is cold rain, which is rare.

I have worked hard at increasing my distance and speed, so if people stare at me I just hope that I inspire them so they will make themselves better. If they are thinking negative thoughts, it doesn't matter to me because I know I am in a better place than them mentally and physically.

Before I began running, I always thought that the people that I saw day in day out were nuts. Now I understand the drive.
    Keep it up, no one will really understand except us runners.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    <<<<

I got in my 3 miles yesterday.....1.5 inches of snow with a temp of 25 and a wind chill of 9! IT WAS AMAZING!

I do need to get warmer/wind proof workout clothes....any suggestions?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If it's hot & raining I'll run. Otherwise I hate running in the rain and usually wait until a light sprinkle or just skip my run completely.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Who cares if they stare!!!

They are probably in awe of your awesomeness! Running in the rain is so exciting! It is like being a child again.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Love running in the rain. The harder it rains, the happier I am.

For me, I find so much serenity in it. The rest of the world just kind of fades away... :happy:
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love to run in the rain! If people are staring..then they are not running. Their loss and Good for me. :laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I figure I look goofy enough when I'm running when it isn't raining so I don't worry what people think. I enjoy running in the rain - with the drought we've had in Texas this year I'd like more opportunites to run in rain. I also figure if I run in the rain I don't have to shower after :tongue:
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Rain = yes. It bothered me for a long time that people might watch/judge my running. Now, not so much. The good thing is that it's changing as I lose weight and get better at running. If I'm honest with myself, I'm still too aware of it to be completely comfortable.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Hey if you give me dirty looks when driving by in your car while I'm running, I'll make goofy faces at you. Just sayin.
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I love running in the rain! It is exhilarating and actually nice to keep you cool. If it's really a heavy rain then the only down side is that it continues to get in your face & eyes. But a sprinkle is ideal I think.

Who cares if someone's watching. Heck, maybe it'll inspire others to not make petty excuses like imperfect weather.

I live in NOLA....It rains almost daily in the summer. Usually in the afternoon when I normally run but when its 98 and 100% humidity, I pray for rain...I keep a dryfit cap in my bag to keep the rain out my face bc its hard to keep my breathing steady when its hitting me in the face.
    I agree who cares who looks....if they are judging they aren't runners. :)
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I don't run in the rain...I put on my mud boots and stomp in puddles! Running would distract me from the best puddles and totally soaking my kids. Way more fun then running!
    Seriously though, I don't run in the rain because I am not that dedicated to running but if I see someone running in the rain I am looking at them because they are a very dedicated runner and someday I hope to be that dedicated!