40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    larrodarro wrote: »
    What's been happening at the Larro Ranchero? Funny you should ask. Just sold the pinestraw a couple weeks ago. Looks like a good crop this year.

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg

How is pinestraw used? I did not know it was a commercial product....

For landscaping. It's a big business down here where there are hundreds of thousands of acres of planted pines. In most cases you make enough to pay the land taxes, even on poor land. Like any commodity, there are grades of pinestraw, with Longleaf Pine bringing the most. Those trees were on a conservation program for 15 years so I had to wait until 2015 to sell the straw the first time. While I was waiting there was a bidding war between two dealers. I ended up getting $100 an acre on that piece, a third more than what my Slash pine paid. The Longleaf patch in the backyard is small. Only 20 acres.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    What's been happening at the Larro Ranchero? Funny you should ask. Just sold the pinestraw a couple weeks ago. Looks like a good crop this year.

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg

How is pinestraw used? I did not know it was a commercial product....

For landscaping. It's a big business down here where there are hundreds of thousands of acres of planted pines. In most cases you make enough to pay the land taxes, even on poor land. Like any commodity, there are grades of pinestraw, with Longleaf Pine bringing the most. Those trees were on a conservation program for 15 years so I had to wait until 2015 to sell the straw the first time. While I was waiting there was a bidding war between two dealers. I ended up getting $100 an acre on that piece, a third more than what my Slash pine paid. The Longleaf patch in the backyard is small. Only 20 acres.

Oh, that's right, now that you mention it, I have noticed pine straw used as landscaping when I've visited the South. Thanks for the explanation. I"ve learned something today!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg

I live in Miami, I didn't know that was a thing . . .
  • larrodarro
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

ssfhz9b6d49q.jpg

I live in Miami, I didn't know that was a thing . . .

Yep, it's mainly in north Florida, Georgia and Alabama. We started planting pines in the 80's when the government was encouraging folks to take land out of row crops. Most of our land is in pines now. Not a lot of money in it, but it keeps your land taxed at agricultural rates without having to actually farm row crops.

The trees have to be planted in rows for the crews to get in there and bale it up.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    They use pine straw a lot in NC as well. I hadn't realized that I didn't see it any more when we moved north.
  • ihavebeenherkind
    ihavebeenherkind Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's so cold for you folls up north. It's 75 degrees in Texas. Great day for me and the dogs to take an hour long walk in the park. Your perseverance in the snow is inspiring! :)
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Sorry it's so cold for you folls up north. It's 75 degrees in Texas. Great day for me and the dogs to take an hour long walk in the park. Your perseverance in the snow is inspiring! :)

It's 77F here in NW Florida this afternoon. Crazy warm weather this winter.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    They use pine straw a lot in NC as well. I hadn't realized that I didn't see it any more when we moved north.

They use more bark for landscaping up north. It actually works a lot better than pinestraw.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    So...today was supposed to be "Beast: Cardio". I've been avoiding that for...reasons I guess. Just not a favorite. So "T25 Core Speed"=Done!

hu0uyk433lx6.jpg
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    HIIT done yesterday but only squeezed 7k instead of 16 as pkanned. Sloppy, slushy roads!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    Lifting done!
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Invested in a Withings Wifi scale which also measures bone mass, muscle and fat so not focusing on just actual "weight" Still down 2 sizes but the scale creeps up so it is time to watch portions and make better choices. I work in an ER and it is surprising how many bad food choices there are and the switch from day to night shifts is getting harder the older I get. I am 48 and will be 49 in July. I hit the gym 3-5x a week. HIT and weights are done for the day. Time to take the dog out for a walk! :smiley:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Great day today. Did a 27km walk for The Push for Change. Over 34,000 steps! thepushforchange.com
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Hope all of you had a great weekend. I appreciate the strength that lifting heavier is giving me, but man oh man, the soreness is a force to reckon with. The gym has added a new class called Muscle Tension Relase (MTR). It's a 30 minute stretching class where foam rollers are used. The participants are age 40+ and all you hear is varied moaning and groaning because everyone is so tight from lifting, boot camp/crossfit, etc. Keep up the great work everyone. Encouragement goes a long way.