40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Hope all of you had a great weekend. I appreciate the strength that lifting heavier is giving me, but man oh man, the soreness is a force to reckon with. The gym has added a new class called Muscle Tension Relase (MTR). It's a 30 minute stretching class where foam rollers are used. The participants are age 40+ and all you hear is varied moaning and groaning because everyone is so tight from lifting, boot camp/crossfit, etc. Keep up the great work everyone. Encouragement goes a long way.

One of the You Tube AT thru hikers this year plans on doing the foam rollers, as well as other recovery methods, while on the trail.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qEqKgVxr560&t=166s
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Legs"=Done!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Been a while since I posted. I redid the floor in my daughters room last weekend for her birthday and managed to strain my back pretty bad so have been taking the last week off (the floor looks nice though). Planning to ski with the family of Friday so am taking this week off of exercise as well. Managed to contract what my kids are calling a man cold over the weekend ;) so all in all it hasn't been the best couple of weeks. The snow in the city should be gone be the end of the week which will be nice (sorry to those of you in the North East of NA who are getting another 50-80cm).
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, no workout yesterday. Long day at work and then headed home to make a special bday dinner for my hubby.
    It's snowing pretty hard out there today. It may be just a walk & curling.
  • marcus1013
    marcus1013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day!
    I actually managed to avoid the chocolates! And went walking with my wife. Keep up the good work with reaching your goals!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    banged out some cardio circuits at the gym. finished with some close grip bench press, feet off the floor, and the triceps gauntlet!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Hope all of you had a great weekend. I appreciate the strength that lifting heavier is giving me, but man oh man, the soreness is a force to reckon with. The gym has added a new class called Muscle Tension Relase (MTR). It's a 30 minute stretching class where foam rollers are used. The participants are age 40+ and all you hear is varied moaning and groaning because everyone is so tight from lifting, boot camp/crossfit, etc. Keep up the great work everyone. Encouragement goes a long way.

Great work! I'm currently doing a few sessions of lifting during my weekly routines and I've found that a post workout supplement drink containing BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) really helps with the soreness. Make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer and read all of the ingredients, though. Many of the products out there put other things in their stuff that you may not want, like caffeine.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options

This is a thing?!? I would LOVE it. I'm going to ask my gym if they could do it. Thanks for mentioning it!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Greetings Kids, hope all of you stayed within reasonable limits yesterday. I was quite surprised that our Meltdown class was full and as a bonus you could bring your sweetheart for free. Flip side, I had to put my own music in my ears to do the circuits. Cameron, the instructor is fair by giving each person a chance to select the music that they like each week. While I appreciate most genres of music, country is not ideal to me when doing fast circuits. I need bass guitars and music with power. I stayed after for MTR and I am so grateful that this class now exist. TmacMMM, you're welcome. Leo thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly look into it. Larro thanks for the YouTube video. Gam3rguy, have you considered becoming a trainer? I would certainly pay you. Have a great day kids. You guys ROCK!!!!!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How do you join this group?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Rest day is over.. Chest done. Happy Hump day to everyone!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    How do you join this group?

You just did. Post away.
  • larrodarro
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hey guys.I did the whole house cleaning thing today. Just wrapped up supper and now I'm heading to the camp. We have finally got some cool weather so I'll do a couple hours hiking tonight. Cool weather for my location that is. It's 59F now, going down to 40F by morning.

See ya later, bye.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk Love your comment about music choices during fast workouts. Had a cycling class on Monday night where the instructor cranked out a high energy playlist that included some AC/DC tunes. When she did, you could just watch the wall displays to see all the power numbers rise as we pushed those pedals harder! :)
  • Sexynhealthy4v
    Sexynhealthy4v Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im in..once i get my blood count up ill be back to working out
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Alpha: Cardio"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said that. thing is...I lack "people skills". I also have no formal training, but it's the lack of people skills. that said, I AM working with a friend from work at my gym. he's pretty over weight, so finding the right modifications is the challenge. i'm all like "work hard...don't die!"
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    hey all, got a good run in yesterday. It was 8.55km with an average 6:40km pace (works out to just under a 11 min mile) Not bad for running on winter roads. We wanted to go a little farther, but it was getting dark and didn't have our headlamps. Maybe next time.
    Am so thankful I have found this new running partner! The only downside, is that she is moving away in June. :'(
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, hope all is well. gam3rguy, I appreciate your honesty. Helping your coworker could open the door for you. "Work hard...don't die", that is a start (smile). I feel like I am being rude when I put my own plugs in during class, but I honestly can't move to country music, especially when every song is referencing catfish dinners to attract a woman. The older ladies complain that rock music is too angry and aggressive. Djproulx, I believe in the power of music and its ability to motivate you. Your post confirmed my thoughts. Have a great day kids.