Options

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "INSANITY MAX:30 Friday Fight: Round 1"=Done! 23:37!

Very nice! I've been thinking about doing Max 30. Is this the first time you've done this workout series? Can you let us know how you like the program and maybe what you don't like, if anything?

I'm very interested in your feedback.
    let me get back to you Friday. this is my fist time through and first week of month 2. haven't tried "MAX STRENGTH" or "Friday Fight: Round 2" yet.

Awesome! Thank you.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day kids. @Djproulx, great job on your determination to finish. We are often our own worst critics. I am guilty of such antics myself. Gam3rguy, sounds like your workouts are getting more intense. Meltdown is getting tougher every week. The trainer actually participates with us and that makes us work even harder because he does a circuit with many of us individually. The class is appropriately named because at 59 minutes, one is slowly melting down. Keep up the great work guys. You all rock.
  • bessieirvine
    bessieirvine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Am I in the right place
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    brandy37bw wrote: »
    Hi im 39 will be 40 in September my i join?

Welcome to the group.
  • heathermgg
    heathermgg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm almost 44, trying to lose 35 pounds I gained last year from stuffing my feelings, then an additional 15 to be at a comfortable weight for me. I have modified my diet in the last several weeks - removing processed foods, diet soda, excess sugar and salt and drinking around 80oz of water a day. I feel much better but damn, getting started with the exercise is what's proven to be my greatest challenge. Haven't exercised in years.... I'm beginning slowly with a bit of cardio and strength training. I want to do BBG/Fitblender or something like that, but my knees are messed up- any recommendations for exercise that incorporates squat type exercises without hurting the knees?
  • mujercitanyc
    mujercitanyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! Kind of new to this but would love to join this group. Can anyone tell me how to join? Thanks!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "INSANITY MAX:30 MAX OUT STRENGTH"=Done! 14:13! that last round's no fun!!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Hello! Kind of new to this but would love to join this group. Can anyone tell me how to join? Thanks!

You just did! :)

Just update us whenever the mood strikes.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    orionaimee wrote: »
    I am walking 2 miles most days on lunch and doing 9Round which is a 30 minute kickboxing gym three days per week.

@orionaimee I visited a 9Round booth this weekend at a Fitness expo. It looks like a great workout. Kick boxing and hitting the heavy bag is HARD work and will certainly develop muscle tone!

It certainly does challenge each of the muscle groups. I like that there is not a class time or start time. You show up and within 33 minutes you are done. Right now I am burning over 300 calories per visit. I have noticed that the veterans seem to go around for a second time since they have become leaner and more efficient causing less calorie burn.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How does one officially join the group? I would very much like to do so. Thank you!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    heathermgg wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm almost 44, trying to lose 35 pounds I gained last year from stuffing my feelings, then an additional 15 to be at a comfortable weight for me. I have modified my diet in the last several weeks - removing processed foods, diet soda, excess sugar and salt and drinking around 80oz of water a day. I feel much better but damn, getting started with the exercise is what's proven to be my greatest challenge. Haven't exercised in years.... I'm beginning slowly with a bit of cardio and strength training. I want to do BBG/Fitblender or something like that, but my knees are messed up- any recommendations for exercise that incorporates squat type exercises without hurting the knees?

Welcome. I'm not familiar with BBG/Fitblender, but there are lots of movements that work the posterior chain muscles(calves, hamstrings, glutes, etc.), quadriceps and core. Depending on how limited your knee movement and strength is a bunch of movements come to mind. For this post, I am assuming that you can probably perform some squat type movements, but that any high intensity stuff, such as box jumps, etc, would be a problem.

With that in mind, here are a few that I do as a runner and cyclist to help keep injuries at bay. Basic squat movement(no weights or with kettlebells, dumbells, bar), lunges (weighted or not) side lunges, Butt Kicks (kneel on all fours, put a tennis ball behind one knee, and lift that leg while squeezing the ball. Works the glutes and hamstrings). Bird Dogs (Kneel on all fours, lift left arm and right leg out straight, parallel to ground, hold for 3 seconds and return to ground. Works lower back, core, glutes) Single or double Leg Bridges work glutes/hamstrings and don't stress the knees. Holding a plank position will work your core muscles and is a great basic strengthening motion. You can look up the movements on youtube to get an idea of proper form. There a dozens of movements and variationsdepending on on how basic or progressed you want to go. This is just a sample to give you some ideas. There are also a bunch of lateral movements done with bands that help strengthen hips and improve lateral balance and strength.

Finally, there are a number of Cool Kids around here who are much more focused on strength training than I am, so maybe they'll provide more insights. Good luck!
  • Cymrian2017
    Cymrian2017 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    heathermgg wrote: »
    Hey all,

Hi Heather,
    Cardio wise - biking is good for bad knees. Doesn't have the pounding of jogging but still gives range of motion.
    Weights wise - you can do squats but just don't go so slow. Same with lunges.
    How bad are your knees? What do you think you can do?
  • heathermgg
    heathermgg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Cymrian2017 .... Im fairly certain I have degenerative osteoarthritis, will be seeing see an orthopedist soon. My knees are fairly weak and when I squat it's difficult to come back up. They also crunch pretty loudly! Ughhh....anyway, I'll work on modifying lunges and squats and do what I can until I can get some injections/treatment. I feel way too young to be having this problem!
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm on a plane right now and STARVING!!! I had lunch 8 hours ago, and just had a tiny "snack". The options to eat are not great, but I may have to give in or have one of my Kind bars.. hunger.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday kids. Meltdown had a tendency to push me to my very limits. The things I do to myself. Have a great weekend ahead kids.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "INSANITY MAX:30 FRIDAY FIGHT: ROUND 2"=Done! 9:03! lost that fight! OH...there was some CUSSIN' toDAY!!!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    I don't think I ever went that high. Can I call out "dead" today?

p8r3wog0vllb.png
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    orionaimee wrote: »
    Hello there, I am new around here. I am 45 and a mother of 4 great kids all but one grown or in college. I am on a fitness and diet journey to lose 50lbs. I am finding that it is much harder to lose weight in my 40's. I am counting my calories using the MFP app. I am walking 2 miles most days on lunch and doing 9Round which is a 30 minute kickboxing gym three days per week. The current carrot is a trip to Hawaii May 27th to attend a friends wedding. Looking for ideas and inspiration to keep going and get better.

Hi, I'm a little envious since I am a 42 year old mother of 5 and my youngest is 4. But I guess the kids keep me young. You don't have to officially join this group. Just post. Sounds like you are off to a great start. It is harder to lose in your 40's, but it does happen if you just keep at it. Exercising is fun and stress relieving, but counting your calories is really more important.