40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, hot pilates yesterday and TRX/Boot Camp today. Wouldn't you know it, the powerlifting class was cancelled. I saw a beach body commercial where pilates and yoga is combined. I am NOT a fan of working out at home, but this one caught my interest. If anyone here has it, can you speak to it? I am getting bored once again and need something new and challenging. HMMM, I wonder if skydiving count as a work out? Welcome newbies. Have a great day everyone.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, hot pilates yesterday and TRX/Boot Camp today. Wouldn't you know it, the powerlifting class was cancelled. I saw a beach body commercial where pilates and yoga is combined. I am NOT a fan of working out at home, but this one caught my interest. If anyone here has it, can you speak to it? I am getting bored once again and need something new and challenging. HMMM, I wonder if skydiving count as a work out? Welcome newbies. Have a great day everyone.
    I have that program. "PiYo". it starts embarrassingly easy...then ramps up pretty quick (hope you like holding plank and plank moves and downward dog moves) with routines that earned their names. "Sweat" & "Drench"! I've only done one full round...but on occasion, i'll throw one in.

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, got a nice 7+km run in yesterday. My favourite time of year to run. Air is cool and fresh and it smells great outside!

I've been keeping up with the clean eating (i whole week in without cheating!) Certainly makes a difference on the scales. :)

@_TMac_ - good job keep up with your training schedule and maintenance while away. I go away at the end of the month for work and already thinking of my game plan for eating. Not too worried about the exercise as I get so much walking in when I stay downtown. Take a bus or subway when I can walk 30 blocks? Why would I? lol.

@caramelgyrlk - am so proud of how far you have come! You truly are an inspiration! Keep up the great work. I too have PiYo and have done it a few times. I keep thinking I am going to start working out at home more consistently, but it's difficult when I have B&B guests.

@3furballs - wowzer! you certainly have a full schedule of physical activity! Good plan switching to the tea too! You certainly will reduce a crap load of sugar that way.

@BettyM1017 - so glad to hear you are alive and well. Scary, scary times!

@navygrrl - welcome! Good for you for keeping up with your studies!

Have a great day all!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Welcome to new kids @navygrrl and @hartlandmom.
    @BettyM1017 - So glad to hear all ok with you!
    @__TMac__ Love it when you say the "t" word, even if its low key. ;)

My wife and I are just back from a 5 day trip to Lake Placid, NY for an IM race and vacation. It was a great time. We stayed right on Main street, overlooking the swim course on Mirror Lake. The town was full of athletes and their families this weekend, so the shops, hotels and restaurants all ran race weekend promos and Ironman banners were everywhere you looked. Since Montreal is less than two hours north of LP, there were many Canadians racing, but I also met participants from Europe and South America.

The Lake Placid Ironman course is both very difficult and very scenic. The race was held on Sunday and started at 7am with a rolling swim start. It took about one hour to get all 2600 athletes into the water. The cold early morning weather and the significant climbing required on the bike and run course were a real test, and took quite a few people out of the race. The trick was to stay warm during the cold swim (air temp 38 degrees, water 62 degrees at race time) then dry off and put on windproof layers to cover skin and avoid hypothermia from riding a bike in cold weather. Once through the steep descent and rolling back stretch, most riders then shed layers as the temps rose and the heavy climbing started during the last 20 miles heading back into town. Finally, the run course was an out and back route, with two significant climbs on the return trip, the first one by the Olympic Ski Jump site and the second one a steep grade at mile 11, just as you came into town. That one was tough and most people, including me, walked most of it. The only help came from the significant crowds cheering as runners approached town and headed towards the Olympic speed skating oval and the finish line.

Regarding my race results, I finished in 6:32:04, placing me 14th in the men's 60-64 age group. The conditions caused a high percentage of DNS/DNF's, since there were 73 registered and only 49 finishers in my age group.
    My 1.2 mile swim split was fairly soft at 45 min, my 56 mile bike split of 3:16:00 was solid (this included a 5 min stop to strip clothing, etc.) and my half marathon run split of 2:17:48 was fair at best, (10:20 pace) but it was all I could manage on Sunday. Overall, I'm happy with my finish and learned a lot about the course. I'll use that information to train, since I'm registered for the full IM race there next July. (two loops of each segment)

Finally, we spent Monday hiking, since the area is famous for the 46 High Peaks that surround the town. We climbed Cascade Mountain, which was a bit more challenging than I needed, but the summit had some spectacular views.

Here are a few pictures. The first is the Olympic Oval on Saturday showing bikes set up in transition. Second is the temp shown on phone at 5:30am on Sunday, as we prepared for the swim. The other transition area shot showed how it looked on race morning in 5:30am darkness as athletes donned wetsuits and prepared to race. Finally, a few other shots showing the bike and the hike.

Stay Cool, Kids.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx -- Great race, and thanks for the detailed report! I hadn't considered that the colder weather would mean differences in transition, but of course it would. My only tri was in the summer, so no such issues. I'm interested to know how it affected your T1/T2 times.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Core Speed"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Today is a rest day in my training plan, but I'm a little behind, so I opted to cross-train and then skip over tomorrow's short/easy run. So I walked to the gym and back (2m total), and did some strength work and indoor biking while there.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx , great race report and pictures! Congratulations on a great race! An Ironman was always something I wanted to do, but I just don't have the facility to practice my swims. Today, I would be happy just to get my running back up to snuff.

Got my strength training in yesterday. I can always feel it in my glutes when I do the dead lifts. :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    @Djproulx -- Great race, and thanks for the detailed report! I hadn't considered that the colder weather would mean differences in transition, but of course it would. My only tri was in the summer, so no such issues. I'm interested to know how it affected your T1/T2 times.

In my case, it added about 10 minutes to my overall time. In warm weather, I don't wear anything but my tri kit and shoes(no socks). I also typically start the bike ride still wet from the swim. On Sunday, I dried off with a towel, then put on socks, arm warmers, a second pair of cycling shorts, a cycling shirt and pair of gloves. Most of these items were stripped off before the last 20 miles of the ride, which required another stop while on the bike.

There was really no choice, because the first half of the ride was fairly shady and speeds reached 40-50 mph on the descent into Keene. Race officials also set up warming tents with propane heaters at the bottom of the Keene descent, since they were worried about hypothermia affecting riders.

(there is a great youtube video shot with a GoPro mounted on a bike that shows the speed/% grade as the rider travels down the Keene descent.)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 done. Morning run done.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking a bit in your group. I'm not sure I qualify as I will be 59 on Saturday. I just like to pick up heavy things and then put them down.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    QuikDogs wrote: »
    I've been lurking a bit in your group. I'm not sure I qualify as I will be 59 on Saturday. I just like to pick up heavy things and then put them down.

You're in the "+" part of "40+". Welcome! :)
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here a weightlifter or power lifter? I'm really trying to connect with fellow lifters. Thank you
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    how are we all doing? my Florida friends hope you are recovering from Irma and her wrath. trying to mix free weight workouts with PIYO, lets see how this goes.

feel free to add me if you want, I try to be funny....try is the key word here people.

just enjoy life my fellow Gen X'ers
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's Crossfit (basics) workout

Warmup
    starjumps - 1 minute
    High hip complex x 3
    High elbow distractions
    Cat and cow x 10

Front squats 5x5 (85lbs)

Double Unders - 5 minutes (Ok I managed to sort of do 6. I got the rope under my feet twice but it stopped in front of me and not behind me)

Captain Morgan 3x5/5

Conditioning: 6m27s (cause I cant skip to save my life lol)
    50-40-30-20-10 Single Unders
    15-12- 9 - 6 - 3 Wall Balls (14lbs)
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    Interested in joining.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @QuikDogs I lift heavy things too. I firmly believe that the word "cardio" is spanish. The only reason I would ever run is if I'm being chased by a bear.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    @QuikDogs I did weightlifting for two years but recently went over to crossfit. I still do 2 weight training sessions a week plus 1 crossfit lifting session.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Beta: Rip'T Circuit"=Done!