Whole Oatmeal taste good??

Options
13»

Replies

• justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar and honey! Okay...so maybe not the most healthy thing but it sure makes it taste good! Just plain honey and some dry fruit can help too. Or make it savory add a little bit of butter and salsa or chicken!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can anyone make this stuff taste good? I like that it fills me up with a minimal amount, and its generally good for you. But I just cant get passed the texture and taste. I like the prepackaged stuff but its loaded with sugar. Do I just have to suck it up and plug my nose if I want to eat this stuff?

For me it is the texture only that I can't stand. I don't mind the taste but I've tried everything from instant to steel cut oats and just hate that gooey texture. I've found 2 things that make it taste good enough to eat.

Mixing steel cut oats with brown and/or wild rice.
    Eating old fashioned rolled oats uncooked with peanut butter and just a splash of maple syrup (.5 cup oats, 1 Tbsp pb, 1 tsp syrup)
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love it but I put in dried blueberries, dried cherries, walnuts and a Truvia packet when I START cooking it, if you do that the dried fruit releases their sugars and flavors the oatmeal really nice.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm weird about natural oatmeal and what I put with it.

I LOVE putting sugar free maple syrup with it and berries and/or walnuts too.
    This rocks my world. :love:

BUT if I put peanut butter (which I LOVE too) with it, I am so TURNED OFF.

Just have to experiment. :wink:
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    I have to make mine with water because my daughter is allergic to milk (she eats half i eat half) she is not a huge fan of it either, but put a little applesauce and a pinch of cinnamon in there and she eats it all up. a little dash of honey is awesome to. also if you add a little more water then recommended then it becomes a little 'creamer'

any fruit puree is awesome and you can get them in one cup containers. only need about half tho.

Oat meal is very good for you, but if you start adding a bundle of sugar and cream and all other things it kinda losses it 'goodness'. so try and keep it to a min. amount that you can handle to make it taste good.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Cook with skim milk instead of water. Add sugar, cinnamon, and a little margarine to taste.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    great ideas ;)
    I've had a container of steel oats in my cupboard but have been unsure how to make them
    Looking forward to trying some of these idea out =)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    that is hilarious, i have bee asking people around what i should eat to lose weight.. and they said to eat oatmeal, so i have been eating oatmeal for the past two weeks now and i cannot stand the regular one! LOL. i am sticking to QUAKER INSTANT OATMEAL: brown suagar, cin w/ apples, and cin with spice ---- which is about 40 calories difference from the regular ....remember to tell your self.. I AM NOT DIETING, I AM CHANGING MY LIFE STYLE! lol

There is nothing you "should eat to lose weight." You should learn to control your portions and limit yourself from unhealthy foods to create a lifestyle you can actually maintain. There are no miracle foods.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Surprised no one mentioned "old fashioned oats" Or rolled oats. They're rolled, but not as thin as quick-cooking oats. Not as chewy and awesome as steel cut, but still way better than the Quaker flaked oatmeal.

Bob's Red Mill makes a really good one.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    oats
    almond milk
    canned pumpkin
    dash of vanilla extract
    sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon

Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Yummy!

THIS!!! It is so delicious! I prefer steel cut oats, and I also put in chopped almonds or pecans. mmmmm mmmmm.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I like mine with honey and banana. I know you're trying to get away from the sugar but it sure makes the oatmeal taste good.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I enjoy putting a banana in my oatmeal before I microwave it, it sweetens it up and sometimes I add a teaspoon of walnuts. YUM!
  • jeanbedford
    Options
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup oats
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 Tbsp plain, no fat yogurt
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    sprinkle cinnamon
    1 peach (not canned)
    boil almond milk, add oats, reduce heat, cook for 5 minutes. in another small bowl mix yogurt, honey and almond extract, stir! remove oats from stove, add yogurt mixture and sliced peach, skin on or off! sprinkle with cinnamon! this is just like eating dessert!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    oats
    almond milk
    canned pumpkin
    dash of vanilla extract
    sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon

Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Yummy!

THIS!!! It is so delicious! I prefer steel cut oats, and I also put in chopped almonds or pecans. mmmmm mmmmm.

Yep! I agree. I just made a variation of this for the first time today and it was amazing!