Success stories from increasing fat intake

Options
I'm working on increasing the amount of fat I'm taking in (specifically virgin coconut oil), I'm having a hard time watching my daily calories go up so quickly. Does anyone have success stories they can share about benefits they experienced from incorporating more [obviously healthy] fats into their diet? Thanks!

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I upped my fat intake and the rate of shedding my beIIy fat seemed to increase
    Not sure if it was placebo effect though
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Since upping my healthy fat intake I have noticed a much more rapid burning of the fat from my stomach as thats where the lot of my fat seems to be now. Fats are only bad if you are eating Saturated fats, I say up it and give it a few weeks and you will soon notice the difference
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I went low carb (<20g/day) and high fat (65% of my daily calories). I really like it. I feel so much better and am losing plenty of weight. The great thing about upping fat intake is that it helps fill you up faster, which in turn helps you eat less and stay in a caloric deficit. Plus coconut oil is full of lauric acid, which helps with HDLs and possibly helps change LDLs from type b (the bad kind) to type a (which is good.)
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree I eat more fat now than ever before and I have a crazy waist taper I've never had before.
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Increasing vital fats in the diet is very beneficial to the body. It aids the hormone productions in the body which allows the body to function at peak performance for longer.

A success story is Dorian Yates for one. He had a strict low fat, high carb, high protein diet and was 'happy' with his results. Then a year later, he put on about 15lb of lean muscle mass increasing his fats intake over his carbohydrate intake. He is an IFBB pro and 6-time olympia.

Have Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats in your diet, have naturally occurring fats too. Olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil etc. are all good fats to be taking in. Take 1 tspn of olive oil with 2 meals a day as a general guideline and have anywhere from 1-3 fish oil capsules with breakfast and you should notice better hormone function.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm working on increasing the amount of fat I'm taking in (specifically virgin coconut oil), I'm having a hard time watching my daily calories go up so quickly. Does anyone have success stories they can share about benefits they experienced from incorporating more [obviously healthy] fats into their diet? Thanks!

Most of us that up our fat intake also decrease carb intake and are eating pretty natural, whole foods (proteins, fats, vegetables and minimal fruits) so we don't really count calories.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I upped my fat intake and the rate of shedding my beIIy fat seemed to increase
    Not sure if it was placebo effect though

No, it is not a placebo effect. In order to burn fat, it takes eating fat.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input!
    I will be incorporating more, it's just a little scary for me. I'm worried about how my body will react initially. I feel like it's going to take the fat and store it right away since it hasn't had much for so long. Did any of you experience an initial gain? How long did it take you to experience the positive benefits? Has anyone also noticed an improvement in hair, skin and nail health?
  • jfluchere
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input!
    I will be incorporating more, it's just a little scary for me. I'm worried about how my body will react initially. I feel like it's going to take the fat and store it right away since it hasn't had much for so long. Did any of you experience an initial gain? How long did it take you to experience the positive benefits? Has anyone also noticed an improvement in hair, skin and nail health?

Yes everything us better, I don't need lotion for my skin, my hair is full and long and never looked better. Just keep your calories in in check and you won't gain weight. Drop carbs and sugar, eat fat.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've noticed benefits and drawbacks....for me, the positive aspect (like most others have mentioned) is that my waist "tapers" like it never has before. I finally have a defined waist! Which is obviously great. Also, my skin is never ashy or dry anymore, and my nails don't split and grow like weeds. No difference in hair though.

Drawbacks.... My *kitten* got huge. I used to ALWAYS pack on extra weight in my stomach; now, for the first time in my life, my thighs and butt are just huge. I truly do think that different macronutrient intake causes extra weight to distribute differently-- too many carbs = stomach, too much fat = butt. At least in my case.

The other drawback for me is that my increase of fat intake has been mostly from nuts or nut butters, for which it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to keep my portion control consistent. I will eat 1000s of cals in nuts in one sitting if I get ahold of them, so it's something I just can't have around, even if they are healthy fats.

For now, I'm drastically cutting my fat intake to jump start weight loss, but I think in general it's pretty helpful during maintenance. You need fat to absorb nutrients-- i just have to figure out which fats I can add without feeling like I will binge on them!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Ral - When you started eating more fats, did you also start eating more calories?
    Personally, I wouldn't mind a bigger booty and a smaller waist :P

In terms of the people telling me to reduce my carbs/sugars -- currently my overall calorie intake is quite low (below the recommended minimum), so I do need to ultimately increase my calories to at least 1,200 so I won't be reducing my already low carb intake.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BUMP! would love to know this too!
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump... I have been interested in doing this as well and appreciate all who have contributed.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to get good fats from things like nuts, avocados, fish, olive oil. Like someone stated earlier certain vitamins aren't water soluble, they're fat soluble like vitamins A, D, E and K so fat is essential to proper nutrition.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump. For later and in case of more opinions/experiences :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a success story when it comes to upping fat and lowering carbs... :)

And yes, tapering waist, healthy skin, nails and hair, I don't get sick or have any aches and pains. Here's some photographic evidence (taken a couple of weeks ago, and I've lost another 5 or so since then - the before photo was when I stopped eating grains and upping fat, not my ultimate before photo):
    6monthsprimal.jpg
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    i did not even know you are allowed to eat more fat... can you guys let me know where you get your good fats from?
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Really interested in this.
  • jfluchere
    Options
    I've noticed benefits and drawbacks....for me, the positive aspect (like most others have mentioned) is that my waist "tapers" like it never has before. I finally have a defined waist! Which is obviously great. Also, my skin is never ashy or dry anymore, and my nails don't split and grow like weeds. No difference in hair though.

Drawbacks.... My *kitten* got huge. I used to ALWAYS pack on extra weight in my stomach; now, for the first time in my life, my thighs and butt are just huge. I truly do think that different macronutrient intake causes extra weight to distribute differently-- too many carbs = stomach, too much fat = butt. At least in my case.

The other drawback for me is that my increase of fat intake has been mostly from nuts or nut butters, for which it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to keep my portion control consistent. I will eat 1000s of cals in nuts in one sitting if I get ahold of them, so it's something I just can't have around, even if they are healthy fats.

For now, I'm drastically cutting my fat intake to jump start weight loss, but I think in general it's pretty helpful during maintenance. You need fat to absorb nutrients-- i just have to figure out which fats I can add without feeling like I will binge on them!

I'm like that with pistachio nuts...I could eat a whole Costco bag in a week. So I stay away for now. I eat small avacados and that's my portion control, one egg yolk, etc easy to not go crazy. Give me a jar of peanut butter and its way harder to control if its in your diet
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a success story when it comes to upping fat and lowering carbs... :)

And yes, tapering waist, healthy skin, nails and hair, I don't get sick or have any aches and pains. Here's some photographic evidence (taken a couple of weeks ago, and I've lost another 5 or so since then - the before photo was when I stopped eating grains and upping fat, not my ultimate before photo):
    6monthsprimal.jpg

OMG!! The proof is in the pudding!! Great job. Yes you are a success story !!!