Success stories from increasing fat intake

Options

Replies

• AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    How do you consume the coconut oil? Do you cook with it or add it to something? I am not sure how to do this, but I am very interested.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Glad this is working for you guys. I have no such luck. Just reading about someone eating most of their calories in the form of fat is making me queasy. I have a digestive disorder that makes it hard for my liver to process fat. If I eat too much fat at one time my body purges from both ends. I have to spread my fats out in very small amounts throughout the day to get my healthy fats in. Good thing my body responds very well to a low fat diet! I get most of my calories from carbs and lean proteins. As long as I avoid the overly processed crap and refined sugars I'm good to go. Good luck to those searching for success! :drinker:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    How do you consume the coconut oil? Do you cook with it or add it to something? I am not sure how to do this, but I am very interested.
    See www.marksdailyapple.com and look for the 'Primal Blueprint 101' link.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I have hugely increased my intake of good fats over the last few months, I have seen a loss in inches to my waist/belly that from reading these posts I would agree coincides to with my increase in fats.

I had previously been on a very low fat diet that only allowed foods with less than 5% fat except for oats and fish! I used to religiously read labels to make sure I didn't go over : (

Now I eat nuts, avacados, oily fish, whole eggs, olive oil and I made the switch to whole dairy products just over a month ago - milk, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, butter. If anything my weight loss has increased to about 0.8lb a week.

From reading some of these posts I may increase my fat macros as I am mostly always over anyway, currently at 40/30/30

I have looked at coconut oil, it is very expensive in the one uk supermarket I have looked in, but I guess you don't use much at a time, does it keep well?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I had watched an experiment done in the UK on the discovery channel about higher diet fat intake (dairy) vs lower fat intake with 2 groups of people trying to lose weight.

The hypothesis was that higher fat intake would slow down weight loss, but in fact didn't. Researchers analyzed stool samples and determined that the higher fat intake group had more fat being elimination through their stool vs the low fat group. The bodies absorbed what it needed and eliminated the rest. It resulted in very "floaty" stool.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Hi,
    Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil... good to use the right one... it is hard, but mixes well, like making cookies... I mix it with my protein powder & then add it to my cereal. Start out with only 1/2 to 1 tsp. or it will make you feel sick... then work up. Only took me 4 days or so to work up to 3 TBS a day.
    It has definitely kicked me off my plateau & I am losing those last lbs & inches :drinker:
    It is pricey, yes! but goes a long way. I'm hoping to find a good online store to buy it cheaper...
    Please share, if you know one! I will check my jar for web address & see if I can buy direct to.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Oops, sorry, posted double... so I will just have to add... I am feeling so much more energy & healthier since I added the C.O. :flowerforyou:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    my diet is made up of at least 50% fat and I have never felt better. My skin has cleared up (though that may be the coconut oil I put on it daily), my blood sugar has stabilized, and I have lost weight fairly quickly.

Eating more fat is excellent because you don't get hungry as quickly. I eat healthy fats: coconut oil, grass fed and pastured meats, pastured butter, farm fresh eggs, avocado, wild caught fish, olive oil, whole fat yogurt and cheese, etc.

I also don't eat grains and follow the primal way of eating.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I am still having progress on the scales & inches dropping, though its always in the back of my mind that I am eating way too many calories! :noway:
  • debbylee22
    Options
    How's things going for y'all? :flowerforyou:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When I upped my extra virgin olive oil intake, I started losing inches right away! The weight stayed the same because my total calorie intake stayed the same, but the inches went away faster. Completely eliminating fat from my diet didn't really work for me... I used to be paranoid about using oil in my food, but I use it generously now provided I stay within my calorie limit for the day. I hate the smell and taste of coconut oil in my food though. I'm Indian and we use coconut oil for hair as well as to cook with (processed differently of course). Whenever I smell coconut oil in my food, it reminds me of hair oil.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    :laugh: That's funny! Pspetal. I like the smell, but I haven't used it in my hair yet... It is good in my cereal.
    I have noticed the inches coming off too. But my calories are higher, and I am at the last few lbs. So the wt. is going slow.. but it is going!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Everyone in India swears by coconut oil for hair! Unfortunately I detest the smell :( I can't even eat Thai foods that are made out of coconut milk. Congratulations on having only 5 lbs to go! That is awesome! :D
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • iqbalkaurthin
    iqbalkaurthin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fat intake, it would make sense to increase protien intake too, else you can start losing muscle because if you reduce carbs, body willl target protein for energy. fat is the last thing body processes. Increase in protein intake will save your muscles. Finally, fat as source of energy requires lipolysis which requires lot of water. You will need to increase your water intake to 4 litres a day.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this. I am just completing a 30 day suger detox (which has also meant a detox from white flour, most dairy, as well as fruits and basically any sugar except what occurs naturally in vegetables). I have ended up increasing my fat and it has been so enlightening. This was a huge switch for me, following almost 10 years of trying a low fat, whole grains and moderate carbs nutritional plan.

During my 21 days I ate Ezekiel bread, brown rice and/or quinoa (choosing one per day).

I feel great, the scale is moving for the first time in years, and now I'm thinking of shifting completely over to Primal eating. I've been sort of flirting with it but it's hard for me to understand how bacon and burgers can be "good" but Ezekiel bread can be "bad." There's no doubt though that just cutting out the sugar has made an impact on my weight loss. I'm excited to keep going and see if I can finally reach my goal weight.

For what it's worth, I'm obsessed with coconut oil. I cook with it, use it on my hair and my skin. I've only used coconut milk in smoothies (gave up skim milk). And I use coconut vinegar on my salads and also in my smoothies. I feel like my skin is softer and smoother. LOVE it!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Everyone in India swears by coconut oil for hair! Unfortunately I detest the smell :( I can't even eat Thai foods that are made out of coconut milk. Congratulations on having only 5 lbs to go! That is awesome! :D
    Pspetal have you tried the tasteless brand? There is one that has no coconut taste or smell.
    Thanks, for the congrats. I am feeling so good. :smile: Got to wear my "skinny slacks" to church Sunday. I have some smaller clothes, which are my goal-wt size, but I'm actually thinking of taking the grandkids to the pool one of these days! (haven't worn a bathing suit for years)...Oh, and I can wear my wedding ring all the time again now... that had to hang on my jewelry rack for yrs. too... so many happy things. :laugh:
  • debbylee22
    Options
    If you increase your fat intake, it would make sense to increase protien intake too, else you can start losing muscle because if you reduce carbs, body willl target protein for energy. fat is the last thing body processes. Increase in protein intake will save your muscles. Finally, fat as source of energy requires lipolysis which requires lot of water. You will need to increase your water intake to 4 litres a day.
    Good advice. Any idea the % of each? I do eat lots of protien, always more then the suggested %.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this. I am just completing a 30 day suger detox (which has also meant a detox from white flour, most dairy, as well as fruits and basically any sugar except what occurs naturally in vegetables). I have ended up increasing my fat and it has been so enlightening. This was a huge switch for me, following almost 10 years of trying a low fat, whole grains and moderate carbs nutritional plan.
    Sounds like my diet! Works way better then the Atkins style & helps rev up your metabolism. :wink:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it a success, but I hit sometimes around 130g of fat, and nothing really happens. I'm working on an article,but fat doesn't make you fat, inactivity and surplus do :-)

Wrong.
    If you increase your fat intake, it would make sense to increase protien intake too
    Why ?
    Else you can start losing muscle
    Why ?
    because if you reduce carbs, body willl target protein for energy.
    Why ?
    Protein usage (catabolism) for ATP production is a costly process, thus it only happens when you are mainly fasting for a long time (25-30h). But it is more likely to happen when the diet is seriously disbalanced, reducing carbs would only speed the glycogen depletion and triglycerides oxidation
    fat is the last thing body processes.
    Nope, depending on the energy pathway, it's *mostly* the second one
    Increase in protein intake will save your muscles.
    True :-)
    Finally, fat as source of energy requires lipolysis which requires lot of water.
    ??
    You will need to increase your water intake to 4 litres a day.
    ???