a tragic loss....

Options

Replies

• DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    very sorry for your loss, i had to put my cat down last week, he was going into kidney failure.

i woke up looking for him 2 nights ago then came to my senses and remembered he wasnt around anymore. no idea why i did that, but it is hard to lose a pet :(
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I lost two of my animals two years ago. =( It's so hard. Just take your time; cry and mourn.

If you want comfort food today, eat comfort food. Call a good friend. Call a family member. Anyone who will UNDERSTAND and who can sit there and just be there with you.

Forget the diet today. Focus on grieving on your loss. =( I'm so sorry.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, losing a pet is like losing family :(

I wish I could say something to help but instead will just let you know I'm thinking of you xxx

^^It IS losing family.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that it's OK and normal to grieve. It's actually required to be healthy. Also, know that it's OK that it sticks around. I personally do not believe for a minute that time heals all wounds. Some are too deep. Too painful. But your faith can carry you through because of the other blessings in your life and the hope of the future. So weep, surround yourself with those you love and care about. Just take it day by day.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Try to take comfort in knowing that kitty had an excellent life and was very loved. If you got kitty to 19 years you had to have been doing very well and been very loving and attentive.

Kitty died peacefully in your arms and not somewhere scary or somewhere alone.

Know that the pain is normal and natural and the only way through it is to go through it. Animals are a very important and special part of our lives.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    this is probably all wrong if you went to a shrink but MY family had the same problem with a dog. We had to go right out and find another Dog to love. its not the same but when you see the love in the new dogs eyes it makes everything just alittle easier to handle. when you have known the unconditinal love of an animal its empty without it. Obviously you loved and cared for your cat for it to live 19 years. there are MILLLIONS of cats out there who need someone to care. There are alot of people who love their cats but cant keep them or take care of them. they would love to know that someone like you have taken their loved ones in! im praying for you.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry for your loss :(
    i had to put my dog down a few years ago and she died in my arms too.

i can't tell you a magic way to get over it, because you never will be fully over it.. your pet is like family.
    but as others stated before me i kept a journal and i wrote about my feelings. it really did help.
    i also exercised to my ipod a lot, to help me stay moving.

it's 1000% okay, healthy, and normal to grieve.
    i hope you find peace with this and i'll pray for you :)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I find the best way to deal with any loss is to be vocal about it. Don't bottle it up.
    Talk about it, share memories, grieve.
    Sorry for your loss. I know how much losing a pet can hurt.
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss....losing a beloved pet can be as hard as losing a person. People diss cats all the time, but unless you have loved and been loved by one, you would never know the bond.
    I agree with the idea of the journal. I started journalling after my husband died, and just stuck with it...I write about anything and everything. Sometimes I write to him, but mostly now it's just for me.
    As I write this, I look at my cat and know that she is getting old and doesn't have that much time left. My heart is absolutely breaking for you. Please, be gentle with yourself, if you want to cry, then cry, or scream or write or sing or whatever you need to do, but please, don't go back to drinking or using or food...these things are not your friends, and will only make things worse. If you need a friend, you can add me. <3
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    I hope this poem gets you through your loss! Stay strong. I keep this poem on my fridge as a reminder for all of my pets that have gone!

The Rainbow Bridge
    inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

<3
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know I was devastated when I lost my 18 year old Sheba to kidney and heart failure.

Just know in your heart that you gave her an AMAZING and very, very long life filled with love. No cat can possibly ask for more than that. You're going to be sad. It's going to be hard. A big chunk of your life is missing. But know that you're grieving for yourself. She's not in pain or suffering. She's free from all that, and like I said, she had the best life any cat could have.

Don't rush out and get a new kitten. It won't replace her. You'll know when the time is right for a new one. In fact, after we lost Sheba, about a year and a half later, my husband and I decided, "Now would be the right time to think about getting another cat." That very same day, we discovered there were feral stray kittens living under my neighbor's porch. We caught two of the kittens before the mamacat moved the litter. Cats... kind of just happen to me.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm SO sorry for your loss... I have three kitties myself... and know how much they become a member of the family....try to journal your feelings...and maybe try to do something to honor your cherished kitty... if it would help you to get out of the house, and would not push the pain deeper maybe think of doing some volunteer work at a local animal shelter......or donate in your kitty's memory to someplace that helps animals, maybe either a shelter that needs funding to help them not have to put adoptable animals down, or the site online that donates pet foods to shelters?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you...When we lost our little boy from illness, it was the worst pain and still is the worst pain one can imagine....but----when his cat and dog passed away afterwards that was traumatizing because then everything of his that had life was gone.....If you need a friend you can add my name....
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. Big hug -- I've lost a pet that way too. It's incredibly hard. I find writing down exactly what I think/feel is very helpful. When I am angry I find hitting the counter with a roll of wax paper is a good way to get frustration out without hurting anything. And a hot bath sometimes helps sooth the nerves. Hug.
  • couponsaver79
    couponsaver79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wish I had something to add to all the responses but I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    my cat of 19 years died in my arms today. i am completely broken. i obviously don't have healthy coping skills, i would appreciate it if you could suggest them. i used to use drugs and alcohol, then later food. help please.
    Go get a kitten or something fury to fill the void.
    Sorry for your loss.

One must be an animal person to understand.

Everyone grieves differently, and each furry being is a separate personality, a new one right away may or may not be the answer. I am very much an animal person, we had to put down our beloved dog a couple of months ago and it still seems very fresh.
    The idea of a journal is very lovely. Hold your memories close to your heart, they do get easier.
    So sorry for your loss.
  • can_tastic
    can_tastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a cat mamma too, so I can imagine what this is like for you. When tempted to "fix" the way you feel by using the drug of choice... just think of what your kitty would want you to do. I bet your baby was proud of the woman you've become. Don't let her down.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's hard to lose a animal, especially when you've had it for so long. I just lost a cat we had at my mom's house, she was 14-15 years old. even though I've been out of the house it still hurts. I found a good cry helps, a journal helped after my grandpa died in '07. You could write down your good memories you had with your pet.
  • nursinggirl64
    Options
    awww im so sorry hunny thats so sad but 19 wow thats old for a cat. just lost my boxer of 8 yrs a couple months ago....take out ur sadness at the gym is the best way to deal with sadness or make a scrap book of pics of ur cat that will give ur hands something to do...just a couple of suggestions...take care and God Bless