Anyone taking supplements?

Options
Roni_M
Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
Is anyone taking supplements? I am thinking of adding a fiber and omega 3 supplement. I have some mild cholesterol issues that would benefit from these (good is low and bad is on the higher end of normal). After 2 months of being on here the weight loss is going well but my fiber numbers run consistently lower than they should.

I am eating lots of fruit and veggies. I don't like "whole grain" anything (actually not a fan of bread, rice or pasta at all!) and can't manage to choke down those cardboard fiber bars. I have a packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast (surprisingly not that much fiber in those!) So my question is strictly about supplements since I know I won't be consistent in eating things I don't like.

What do those of you taking them use? I don't know how I'd fair using the type you drink. I was thinking metimucil pills and maybe omega 3 fish oil caps? I am primarily concerned with improving my cholesterol before it becomes more of an issue.

Replies

• countrygirl812
    Options
    Fish oil, and a high potency vitamin d are the ones I take.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin every day, iron supplement every couple days (usually watch my intake and if it's low for a couple days I'll take an iron pill), protein shakes and bars every day. I did fish oil pills for a little while but after some research determined the potential impact wasn't worth the cost.
  • Roni_M
    Options

Is there a specific reason for the vitamin d? I take a multivitamin already.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin every day, iron supplement every couple days (usually watch my intake and if it's low for a couple days I'll take an iron pill), protein shakes and bars every day. I did fish oil pills for a little while but after some research determined the potential impact wasn't worth the cost.

I keep an eye on my iron as well because I have had anemia in the past. I assume you mean the financial cost of the fish oil? I'm not overly concerned about the cost because I'm sure the cost of cholesterol medication (which the doctor said I was heading towards) will be high as well! I know our local Costco has them in very large bottles. Is there a better ratio to take or does it matter that much?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I also take vitamin D - I burn very easily and avoid the sun, so I need to take a supplement. Vitamin D helps with the absorption of calcium, and a lack of vitamin D is associated with obesity.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/153669.php

I take flax seed oil rather than fish oil - don't like the fish burps. I also take a daily women's multivitamin and resveratrol, the stuff in red wine that supposedly improves cardiovascular health.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/153724.php
  • countrygirl812
    Options

Because I lack it, and I feel like crap without it.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm on a multi, Omega 3,6,9 (all in one) and Vitamin D3 (2000 mg)

The D I was told by Dr. to go on-multi just smart and Omega I decided a while back to take. All have been helpful.

I also take 10 mg Meletonin at night to help me get to sleep... if only it helped me stay asleep!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I take a daily vitamin for men.
  • steph_stein
    Options
    I take fish oil and calcium with vitamin D. Most women don't get enough of either. Also, if you're over thirty, you should consider taking a folic acid supplement. If you find you lack energy, try adding a B complex.
    Absorption of supplements is also an issue, as most of what you take won't be used by your body. Liquid form are better absorbed, as are supplements coated with Enteric coating. They are more expensive but worth it.
  • empresslove13
    empresslove13 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unless you spend a good deal of time in the sun you probably need Vit D> It helps the body absorb calcium, fights disease and infection and boosts mood. One of the most important vits you can take. I take 5,ooo ius a day
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would o my best no to take anything you can get in a "real food" form. Chic peas are a great source of fiber and you can add them to soup, salads, even bake them with tobacco sauce. There are lots of cereals that are high in fiber. Fiber supplements all come with warnings, so read them.

I take fish oil, vitamin D glocosamine for my joints.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, vitamin D, vitamin E, DHA, fiber and calcium.
  • EdsMJ
    EdsMJ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    make sure you take a whole food supplement. you want to take something made from living things, not manufactured.
    that is key in taking any good supplement.(just like eating processed food) always good to avoid. You will find good ones to choose from.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making barley instead of rice? I am not a huge fan of rice myself, but I really like barley. It is cheap and it is sweeter than rice and not so gummy. I make it in the rice cooker the same way I make rice and use it as a side in place of rice.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Multi
    D3
    Chondrotin//Glucosimine
    Creatine
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, mineral, antioxidant and phytonutrient supplement....
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So far, I just take a multivitamin.
  • cougsangel
    Options
    I take a vitamin B12 everyday. I have been thinking about doing a multivitamin but not sure about that though. I also eat 5 to 6 small meals a day which I think gives me a little more energy then eating 3 big meals a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    A multi, omega 3 and protein.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ClariRose
    ClariRose Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin formulated for women and 400 mg of Potassium. After a few weeks of consistently recording my intake (using a software program I have from a class I took) and being too low by half or more of my potassium intake, I added the supplement. It's only about 1/10 of what I need in a day, but combined with greater focus on consuming potassium rich foods, I'm doing better.