Anyone taking supplements?

Options

Replies

• Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great info! I also have psoriatic arthritis so think the addition of vitamin d could be beneficial for me. Also the articles were very interesting! It will be an added bonus to have an energy boost and if it helps with the weight loss...major bonus!

Is flax seed oil as good as the fish oil for cholesterol (fishy burps don't sound very appealing!)
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just a One a day Energy multi vitamin. If I'm getting a cold I ramp up on vitamin C. Nothing Crazy.
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Women's multi
    Omega 3
    CLA
    Glutamine
    Whey Protein
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I take Juice Plus. Its pretty good and gives you all the natural good ingredients from fruits and vegetables. Its funny because its not considered a vitamin but more like food
  • You should just look into something like Lipitor if you are only concerned about lowering cholesterol. The others might help, but your best bet would be a supplement/medication SPECIFICALLY targeted at cholesterol control.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There is heated debate on value of supplements by medical community but I prefer to take them. I do notice a difference when I take them on a regular basis.

I think most individuals would benefit from a age/sex specific multivitamin at a minimum. I prefer the a combination of the following: Ulta Mega Green Men's Dietary Supplement (GNC), fish oil, cod liver oil, and flax seed oil. I'll also do ginko and ginseng from time to time. Together these all promote either physical well being or mental alertness. You can easily google these products to see the potential value. Hope it helps someone viewing this thread.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I take a men's multivitamin
    whey protein
    protein bars
    fish oil
    beta alanine
    creatine

But, I'm planning on cutting back on this stuff. I'm slowly begining to realize that the person who get's the most benefit from supplements is the person selling it.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You should just look into something like Lipitor if you are only concerned about lowering cholesterol. The others might help, but your best bet would be a supplement/medication SPECIFICALLY targeted at cholesterol control.

At this point I don't require medication to lower my cholesterol. However, if it gets worse the doctor has said I may need one. He said he would prefer to have me improve the numbers through diet and exercise (which I am working on). There are tons of supplements that "claim" to help reduce cholesterol. I'm more then willing to add supplements to help and not so crazy on going to a medication if I can avoid it! I have other medications that I take for my arthritis and i'm in the middle of waiting to get into the rhuematologist to have other meds added.

I expect that as my weight drops and my exercise levels increase I would be able to get the numbers into a better balance. I'm hoping to accomplish this before seeing the rhuematologist (approx 6 month wait...5 more months to go). This time limit is important because the disease modifying drugs they will put me on can be very potent and have serious side effects. So I want my overall health improved when the time comes. Which of course includes the cholesterol numbers. =)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use centrum multivitamin a to z
    I cycle through my protein powder
    Proto whey
    Muscle milk
    And for my pretrainer
    Oxy elite
    Or mesomorph
    The pretrainers I have half doses and never more then 2 days in a row
    Every few weeks I go cold turkey on em and suck it up while I do my workouts without any pretrainers
    Inbox me if you have any specific questions and I can point you in the directio. Of sone really patient and helpful people who helped me get my head around the whole supplement and which protein when thingo
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    There is heated debate on value of supplements by medical community but I prefer to take them. I do notice a difference when I take them on a regular basis.

This :smile:

Fish oil
    daily multi vitamin
    ginkgo biloba
    Supper vitamin B complex
    around TMO, Black cohosh and primrose oil to help cleans a bit.

I never considered whey protein as a supplement, but I do drink 2 scoops daily to supplement my protein needs.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Multi/Fish Oil/B-Complex/BCAA's
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I take various protien powders fairly regularly to cap off my protein to my daily goal, and when I remember I take a mens Multi. Ive never noticed anything different by taking the multi. But ever since I upped my protein to 1 gram / lb of my lbm or greater, I have MUCH less muscle soreness from lifting and running.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a fair amount currently and probably a lot of overkill, but there is a reason for that. Before I started eating cleaner on Dec 17, I lived a sedentary lifestyle for years and consumed mostly junk food and diet pepsi. Couple that with clinical depression, I was having memory and concentration problems as well. So my plan is for the first month or two: heavy on the supplements, and then after becoming established on a clean diet and meeting my nutrient goals consistently I can start to eliminate them.

Currently:
    SISU supreme multivit with iron
    EFA Essential fatty acids (3-6-9)
    CLA (Tonalin) during my weight loss period
    NAKA Vital greens
    a multisource antioxidant
    NuSource Energy (9 sources of ginseng)
    Potassium citrate
    Vit B12
    Vit D
    Calcium supplement as needed
    Iron as needed
    L-theanine as needed
    Freeze dried acai capsules sourced from skin and pulp.

Melatonin 10mg
    Passionflower for sleep (I have chronic difficulty falling asleep)
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    BUMP
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I take Nature made Maximum pack from Walgreens pharmacy. Has everything I need.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am 49 years and these are the supplements I take
    1-Multivitamin- carlsons one mini multi.
    2- Vitamin D 2000- 4000 units daily
    3- Vitamin C- 500 twice daily
    Weekly 3 times- vitamin b complex and vitamin b12.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 51

Take regularly:
    Calcium with magnesium and/or regular calcium citrate
    Multi mineral/vitamin
    Olive Oil

Take often:
    B complex
    Milk Thistle
    Vitamin D
    Fish Oil
    Black Cohosh
    Multi-mineral citrate

Take now and then:
    cranberry
    cinannamon
    ginger root
    ginko
    co q 10
    vitamin e

I think that's it. ;)
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    one aday energy-- 1 every day
    evening primrose oil- 1 everyday( womens health)
    B6 for energy support - 1 every other day
  • lose_it_brady
    Options
    I take the one a day for women, the omega-3 fish oil, astragalus and spirulina. I like the results. The spirulina is amazing for energy and good for the brain and the astragalus works well for curbing the sugar cravings. The book "You are what you eat" is full of wonderful supplement ideas. Both of the later I mentioned come in liquid or pill form. I am surprised you don"t enjoy anything made from grain. The grains tend to have much more of a sweet natural flavor. And of course grain is even healthier than wheat.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Vit D 5,000IU
    Co Q 10
    Magnesium (Natural Calm)
    Aged garlic extract
    Fish Oil