omg I'm hungry!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ppenton
    ppenton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water - but also eat 6 small meals a day or breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/supper/snack.

Do not go without eating between meals or you will feel like you are starving.
  • alfonsovisaya
    alfonsovisaya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, check the internet, both google and yahoo, in a search query, foods that make you feel full. There are some wonderful suggestions there. Turkey broth soups, chicken broth soups, all the soups that you would derive from boiling carcasses would really help now, especially a cup or two of good hot vegetable broth. But you can do that right away from a bullion cube or broth tablespoon. That's where I start a lot of the time, just with a good, salty hot broth that I have to work on. Then I get some time to add other stuff, a big salad...salads, big ones of lots of romaine and a low calorie homemade dressing using cottage cheese and salsa get me feeling really good and full. Then I'll add some turkey breast or chicken breast to that as well, a couple of ounces, and I'm back in the running, but that gnawing, painful, deep pitted, gaping hole hunger craving, man, that is the pits and I've had to work really hard to keep myself from giving in. Good hunting, and keep the faith...You've had some really good responses here, like exercise helps, the snacking on apples and fruit, etc. Keep reading and synthesizing so you can figure out what YOU like to do. The last thing I would add is that the feeling of hunger 'pain' is not nearly as vengeful as the sciatic pain I endured to get my mind bent toward dieting. You might just consider embracing some of those pangs and consider the alternatives...it's a cold thought, but I sure prefer the gnawing emptiness to the burning agony of sciatica...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I seem to be eating more to get to my 1400 calories a day than before I started this, my low calorie treat that fills me up is 2 Ryvita with a teaspoon of honey on each, satisfies my sweet tooth as well
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eggs/egg whites really do it for me - I have boiled eggs in the fridge that I pluck out to eat - high protein is good for me. Just be careful if you're eating whole eggs, they're quite high in cholesterol :)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, then you need to EAT. You can transition to 1400 if you *want* to be that low, but you are jumping in full body so of course you are hungry. I just lowered my calories to 1550 a day on Monday. I was at 1800 daily and losing just fine on that. You are gonna hear a lot of yadda yadda about what to do, but the reality is, if you can't stick with it, it's all a bunch of bull ****. I don't foresee you sticking to something where you feel hungry. I know I wouldn't!

I wish you the best of luck, but my advice is don't let anybody set you up for the okey-doke trying to make it on celery and herbal tea. Feel free to message me if you want to friend me and see what my diaries look like.
  • mals422
    mals422 Posts: 41
    Options
    I eat an ounce of cheese. I like Cabot cheddar, and the packages come marked by the ounce. It's 110 calories, and it keeps me satisfied for a couple hours.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    You may be starting too extreme. If you're this miserable on day 1, it's not likely you'll stick to it. Do you know about how many calories you typically are eating each day on average? You probably only want to cut that by about 500 calories/day. Let your body adjust to that for at least a few weeks, then cut more, if necessary.

The trick is to eat stuff that take a long time to digest (so you stay full longer). Try things like yogurt with granola. Fruit with peanut butter. Low calories granola bars.

Portion is key! Good luck!
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Remember how full you felt when you ate Chili? You can make a low fat version or i keep cans of fat free or low fat refried beans, smear half a can on a fiber tortilla or just eat it plain, i save all my taco bell sauce packets and keep them just for these emergencies. you might need a food enzymes to help you digest these high fiber foods, beano now has them.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Don't let me forget to add that I eat my exercise calories back too! That 1500-1700 I'm talking about is a MINIMUM. Still losing.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ihave been doing this for a couple of months now.,but Sunday I got more serious about it.I have found myself wanting something more to eat.I chewed some gum and (Extras Apple pie) and it curb my cravings.Well, now from reading these comments, I have grabbed me an apple..Fresh veggies or Almonds are my favorite.I have been eating the small baby tangerines and that has helped alot..Good Luck with your weighloss journey.This site is awesome!!
    :wink:
  • cynlee1626
    Options
    I love Edamame. I found some at the grocery store in a box that has individual packs that steam in the microwave. Add sea salt and they are delicious and filling. I like things I can eat a lot of but not get a lot of calories. I am not big into celery sticks and carrot sticks though. I am hungry too though. I just keep telling myself to get through the first couple of weeks to get used to it. If I go over by a couple hundred calories, I won't worry because it is still less than what I am used to. Mine are set at 1330.
    13972728.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I might get flack for this but it is ok to be hungry lol. When I was starting I would be hungry all the time and when I was at or above my allotted cals I would just tough it out. Especially if they were late night cravings. I don't see it as starving myself becasue my body needed to be reprogrammed after I had treated it badly for so long. Shortly after I was fine and the late night cravings went away and I never ate more than I was supposed to and felt and still feel great. I did take in a good amount of protein with shakes in the morning and more protein in the evening or afternoon like chicken or something. That kept me fuller longer and kept me from snacking.

I also eat a lot of veggies and lean meat like fish and chicken. brown rice etc.

Hope that helps a little
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Veggies! A big bowl of most types of vegetable soups and chili is only 200 calories and will fill you up.
  • Dwillig
    Dwillig Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm almost 5 months into it and I'm still starving occasionally. Hot flavored teas that have no calories help me get through it. I also try having something with protein when I'm hungry because for some reason I feel fuller longer with protein. So, I survive by snacking on light string cheese (60 calories and easy to grab quickly).

Another thing I've noticed is that if I do a big workout, I struggle to be hungry enough to eat my calories. If I don't, I'm starving. It's almost like exercise is an appetite suppressant. So, workout lots. That way you can eat more!

Working out always lowers my appetite, not forever but long enough to hold me over for a while at least!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you can cook, beans can give you the best bang for your buck. All that fiber keeps you really full. Red beans are my favorite and Great Value brand at Walmart has 32 grams of fiber in one cup. Add some veggies (garlic, onion, celery, peppers, chicken sausage and you will be FULL! I also do volumetrics. Two to three cups of broccoli, cabbage or collard greens. Ummm some good eatin!
  • l33von
    l33von Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lol im with you!!! water water water!!!! make sure you carefully read all food labels! always log your meal before eating it, that way you can know what "calorie grave" your digging yourself into! slowly integrate healthy substitutes into your regular diet! no fast food, no soda, and go 10% on the sweets. and lastly if you find yourself halfway through your day with a full days worth of calories gone, suck it up and workout, go for a long walk if nothing else! my keys to staying under! good luck, ive been there!!
  • roxxanne0529
    Options
    Eat enough during the day so that you don't go home and blow it all at night. This was (is) really tough for me.
  • 2barquack
    2barquack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too, i'm trying to keep track of everything but all day I been so hungry and also, since I quit smoking in the same week, its really tough for me... I never used measuring cups before other than putting sugar in my Koolaide, first time for everything now...lol
  • CoCoFluff
    CoCoFluff Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just curious -
    do you all wait for actual stomach growling to determine if you're "hungry" -
    or do you go on a general feeling of being hungry?

very good question..... I can actually go a a whole day without eating. I'm one of those eat one big bad meal late at night type of girl. I can usually suppress my hunger if I don't eat at all, but it doesn't end well, ie all my weight gain. So eating smaller portions more often throughout the day leaves me wanting the next meal, even more and sooner. I get this light-headed feeling, that I have learned to associate with being hungry. So far the advice of more water consumption has helped with the light-headed dizzy feeling, but it doesn't eliminate the hunger feeling on its own.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    also another suggestion is look into the hungry girl...she has a web page and show on the food network on sunday mornings. She shows some great options for making a meal with less calories but still good flavor, and filling!!! :smile: