How do I phase out the sugar in my coffee?

Options
Can anyone give me some advice on how to get used to the taste of artificial sweetners like splenda? I NEED my coffee in the mornings but I realise sugar isnt the best option for it. I've tried just making a complete switch to splenda but I just couldn't take the taste and went right back to sugar. Should I use alittle of both? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :drinker:

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like Splenda, at all, but I LOVE Truvia (Stevia). It even has the same consistency as sugar. It is really good.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners either, so I use agave nectar. It's lower in glycemic index, which is a good thing (I guess). I would also suggest very slowly tapering off how much you add over time.
  • changinmyways72
    Options
    I've been battling this and I've been using liquid honey in sugar's place for now. Not sure if that's the best thing to do but it still tastes good lol
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Strangely. I just stopped sugar in coffee and drinks and although it was VILE to start with I can't add sugar now as it ruins my drink!
    Good luck.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    What I did to start was to let my coffee get kind of luke warm with nothing in it and then I slam it all. After 1 or 2 cups you will feel like you could give Lance Armstrong a bike run for his money. :)

Edit ok I guess mostly everyone just drinks it for the taste. I just drink it for its effects and not the taste.
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    try different type of sweetners. Some taste more natural as I found same problem to begin with as I used one that tasted all chemically. good luck!
  • rajivshah24
    rajivshah24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honey is great as a substitute, but i just went cold turkey with no sugar and got used to it fairly quickly.

I reckon you could phase it out gradually over one month by taking a little less each day
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't like Splenda, at all, but I LOVE Truvia (Stevia). It even has the same consistency as sugar. It is really good.

I use Truvia as well.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wean yourself slowly off sugar and don't substitute with chemicals which maintain the need for sweetness. Take your time and just make sure you log your intake! Do not try and do it quickly as you need to give your palette time to adjust! Good luck!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I went from 2 heaping teaspoons of sugar per cup 2 years ago to no sweetener at all now. Most of the time I drink it black, sometimes with a little skim milk. I tried Splenda and found it had an aftertaste so I basically weaned myself off the sugar - dropped down to 1 tsp and then when I tried to drop to 1/2 tsp it seemed like a waste so I just went cold turkey. Tasted off for a while but now I'm back to loving coffee again (not so sure that's a good thing):laugh:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I like saccharin in my coffee. It's the first artificial sweetener and still the best. Plus it's a byproduct of coal. How cool is that?
  • klb16
    klb16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try to phase out sugar or Splenda completely. I used to have to have 2 sugars in my tea, but now I can't stand the sweet taste in it. Gradually reduce the amount you put in. For example for a couple of weeks i started having 1 and half and then 1 and then half then eventually none and I don't think I will ever go back to having sugar in my tea.
  • thecapillary
    Options
    There are a number of sweeteners available if you like your coffee sweet, although they dont' taste as good as the real thing. I've just learned to enjoy a cup of coffee and tea without the sweetness, which was initially a shock to my taste buds.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    personally, i know i did not gain weight from a teaspoon or two of sugar and a tablespoon of creamer.
  • MayaNelson
    Options
    Doris - I was a starbucks grande latte with sugar junkie. I went Skim - and then I went to tea! Herbal at that.
    I had to admit that I wasn't into the coffee - but the sweetness and the tarts!

Took a long time to get here - but it's working for me.

Maya
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners either, so I use agave nectar. It's lower in glycemic index, which is a good thing (I guess). I would also suggest very slowly tapering off how much you add over time.

I use this as well. I don't drink much coffee but i use it in my tea. Works great tastes even better!
  • tammyc00per
    tammyc00per Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Equal (aussie) I don't like the taste of Stevia. I used to have 2 teaspoons of normal sugar but have now taken it down to just under 1. As I now only have 1 coffee per day I don't mind using normal sugar over a sweetener.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    like others said; try truvia! No chemically yuck taste like splenda.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i used artificial sweetners alot the last few years but have stopped.. i heard its not good for you and i agree on the sweet thing.. i love my sweet in my coffee.. ive learned to live without it though .. it took time and i dont drink so much coffee any more because of it..i know some folks use raw honey, which is good for you
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You could slowly add less sugar until you don't need it anymore. You also may want to consider trying other brands and types of coffee. If you have really good coffee you shouldn't have to add anything to it.