How do I phase out the sugar in my coffee?

Options

Replies

• pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who are saying that good coffee makes all the difference - nothing is worse than black, nasty instant coffee! I know it's really expensive though... have you considered putting oat milk in instead? It's kind of sweet, nutty and good for you. They go really well together
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Try stevia... It's a natural sweetener and virtually no calories!!! I tried everything I could to enjoy coffee without sweetener, but couldn't do it. I cut out creamer and still loved it, but sweetener I must have!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey...just leave it out. In addition, find a local coffee roaster and purchase high quality coffee- you don't need sugar in high quality coffee. Kona is my absolute favorite. A little pricey, but well worth it.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason to avoid sugar, why not just use it? A teaspoon has 15 or so calories.
  • bethroo64
    Options
    I accidently gave up sugar in coffee...by picking up a friends cup with 5 sugars in it .....then another one with no sugars in it.....Tasted so much better, I just stopped cold turkey...Good Luck but after all, it is only a teaspoon ...
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    personally, i know i did not gain weight from a teaspoon or two of sugar and a tablespoon of creamer.

^^ This

What's wrong with sugar, did I miss something?
  • lynn5866
    lynn5866 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I switched to Agave Nectar as well and I love it. And you only need a little.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a pound of sugar and drinking that much coffee everyday, a little bit of it isn't going to be that bad. Stick with sugar if you like it.
  • innerexp
    innerexp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use organic maple syrup in my coffee. I am a big fan of cafe au lait so I use 1/2 c coffee, 1/2 c milk, 1/2 TB syrup. It's only 26 calories and does the trick :)
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies & suggestions everyone! I usually drink one mug of coffee (granted its a 2 cup mug lol) and I always take it with 4-5 tsp of sugar + I use the powder coffee mate to lighten it up. You've all given me lots to think about :drinker:
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Two ways: quit putting sugar in it or quit drinking coffee :)

Smart-assness aside: If you can't eliminate it all at once, you may want to measure how much you like to put in a cup of coffee that tastes good to you now and then do a half teaspoon less every few days. Your taste buds will adjust. I am a creamer addict so I kind of feel your pain. I wouldn't trade one bad habit for another (sugar sub), but if you are only focused on the calories, the next time you go to restaurant take a couple packs of each kind of sweetner and sample them in your next cup until you find one you like.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I started brewing our coffee with cinnamon in it. You put it in the filter before the grounds. I went from about 2 teaspoons to a 1/2 teaspoon for a mug of coffee!

I have also found that I can reduce the amount of sugar if I add cinnamon to pretty much anything (oatmeal, coffee, cookies)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different coffee blend or drink? :)

I find that at some coffee places I can drink a latte or cappuccino with no sugar at all, and it tastes perfect. (typically a medium roast)

At other places (I am looking at you starbucks) I need 1/2 packet of sugar per espresso shot. At Peets, I need 1 packet.

I like truvia, it tastes normal. Stevia in large doses has an aftertaste -- you need to make sure to put only a little at a time. Truvia has done a good job of regulating the amount.

OK back on topic, you may find that not all coffee is created equal. I agree with the other posters, and keep adjusting the amount of sugar. Also do you use cream? I find the milk fat adds its own sweetness to drinks. I only have 1 coffee a day, max, usually an espresso drink, and I go with 2% milk even though it has more saturated fat. It tastes better and reduces the need for sugar.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies & suggestions everyone! I usually drink one mug of coffee (granted its a 2 cup mug lol) and I always take it with 4-5 tsp of sugar + I use the powder coffee mate to lighten it up. You've all given me lots to think about :drinker:

swap your coffeemate for milk. 1% is perfect. Or almond milk. And add a little more milk -- maybe 1/4 cup. You can probably decrease the sugar, and get a few points of calcium as well.
  • DorisR184
    Options

swap your coffeemate for milk. 1% is perfect. Or almond milk. And add a little more milk -- maybe 1/4 cup. You can probably decrease the sugar, and get a few points of calcium as well.

Coffee Mate only has 10 calories per tsp and .5g of fat + it makes it taste super smooth and creamy... Regular milk just makes it lighter imho
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    I don't like Splenda, at all, but I LOVE Truvia (Stevia). It even has the same consistency as sugar. It is really good.

I totally agree! I use Stevia and it's working for me!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I agree. My new favorite starbucks drink ( although I'm becoming less enamored with Starbucks in general) is a nonfat cafe misto/cafe au lait. It's just coffee and steamed milk. I will add a packet of splenda and packet of real sugar if I want it sweetened. But I've noticed that as I have tried to cut down on my sugar, my taste buds have adjusted dramatically. I don't need anywhere near the amount of sugar in my coffee to enjoy it. I also occasionally change it up with sugar free syrups like hazelnut or vanilla. If I add those, I usually don't add any other sweetener.
  • DorisR184
    Options
    I think I might slowly taper off my sugar but I won't be giving up my powder Coffee Mate lol... It's just too yummy to part with :drinker:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Here's your powdered coffee mate in action (Mythbusters footage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    "Coffee creamer has also been used to whiten clothes (after mixing it with water to form a soaking solution), defoam fish tanks, clean dry erase boards as well as fake snow in television and movies.[1]"

And according to the above quote from Wikipedia I can whiten my taekwondo uniform with it! I knew I should never have stopped drinking that stuff! :D