I can't keep my sugar intake low!

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat meat instead of fruit.

I'm sorry, but the judges ruled this response as incorrect. Meat does not qualify as a sugary snack. But thank you for playing! You'll receive your participation ribbon to your address of record in 7-10 business days. :flowerforyou:
    ahhh but protein does qualify as a food that will fill you up and keep you going and maybe keeping those sugar (choocie) cravings at bay,

so meat can be a good choice if you are have a sweet tooth. Fill up on the protein and reward yourself at the end of the day with a cube of choc if you need to, than half it and so on. Get some choccie smelling candles. If you smoke you can get choccie tasting fillers (for electronic ciggies of course, I do not condone smoking real ciggies!

You can wean yourself off anything just take a little extra off the usual, use it as a reward!

You can have a participation ribbon too, but meat is *still* not a sugary snack. Sugar is a carb. Meat is protein (and fat).

EDIT: Here's a hint. The point of eating sugar is NOT to "fill you up." This is why dessert comes *after* dinner, not before. :flowerforyou:
  • AVernon1000
    Options
    I'm not sure where all the users from this forum are based, but here in the UK the recommended daily intake for sugar is about 90g (more for men). The amount of sugar on MFP (36g for me) is unreasonable if eating a healthy balanced diet with natural sugars coming from fruit and other essential foods.

The main thing to watch out for when snacking is the reduculous amount of added sugars found in almost all junk food as it can trick you into thinking any rubbish tastes good.

While keeping this in mind, it is still essential to swap some of your daily snacks for some lower sugar alternatives.

Here are a few that have been helping me in my weight loss:
    Unsalted nuts - although high in calories, contain a vast amount of healthy nutritional substances including fiber and unsaturated fats.
    Edamame - see above
    Sunflower seeds - low in carbohydrates
    Sugar-free Jelly - a great alternative to junk food yet still low in calories and sugar.

Hope this helps.
  • oklahomascott
    Options
    juicing is a bad idea might as well drink a coke
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if it was not for sugar the whole "diet" industry would not exist.period.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to cease eating fruit. None.
    Just delete the sugar column is you can't understand that basic element.
    If your macros are fine, sugar is already counted.
    Pretty much this.

You can continue eating chocolate as well. As long as it's fits your macros.
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I deleted my sugar column. I feel much better now:)

This!

I have cut back on almost all processed /refined sugars but eat 2-4 servings of fruit a day and am losing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to cease eating fruit. None.
    Just delete the sugar column is you can't understand that basic element.
    If your macros are fine, sugar is already counted.
    Pretty much this.

You can continue eating chocolate as well. As long as it's fits your macros.

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

I also eat chocolate. I eat it every day or darn near close to that. A little chocolate (I eat about 50-100 cal) gives me my choco kick, keeps me happy. Quality over quantity. It's rich in favanols and a bunch of micro nutrients, if you buy into that. I eat it for the taste and because I can.
    I understand that some people feel the NEED to suffer to show they are succeeding. Screw that - I'm enjoying my transformation and chocolate (and lots of fruits) are part of that.

Overall calories in < calories consumed = weight loss
    Macros observed + exercise = body composition
    Micronutrients = health and disease prevention

Enjoy food.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    get the vita cake mini brownies. I freeze mine and have 1 every night ..it's a ritual for me. Warm it up for 25 seconds and it tastes just like a big ole' slice of brownie out of the over at a 50 calorie pop. YUM
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Does your sugar intake cause you to go over your calories or not get in enough proteins and fats? If not, it's not a problem, assuming you have no medical condition requiring you to limit your sugar intake.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over, I don't care... I'm here first and foremost to lose weight. If I went over on sugars from chocolate I'd probably mind but natural sugars, they don't count :P There's no way I'm cutting down on fruit.
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you don't have pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome/PCOS or some other form of insulin resistance, then just count total carbs. If you do, then you have to be more careful--and you might want to talk to a physician about how much sugar is recommended.

I have PCOS, and so I need to balance my carbs with protein to prevent blood sugar spikes. My doctor wants me to have no more than 25g of ADDED sugar a day (that's 6 teaspoons, BTW), and two fruits/day (no fruit juices because those cause bigger spikes without the natural fiber in whole fruit). The way I do this in MFP is that I just made a whole new meal called "fruits and veggies" in my food diary, and I subtract those sugar grams from my total to get my "added sugar" amount. I'm not netting out naturally-occurring sugars in dairy, though...but you could.

And I eat chocolate. Not that light-no sugar-fake kind either. Real chocolate. But goal is only once/day and to balance with protein.
  • naveed1naveed
    Options
    coca/chocolate has a strange relationship with building body mass.
    sorry for being funny but chocolate is made to be eaten.
    one dark pure bar of 250 gram before I hit the bed. yummy.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my huge down fall..... :sad:
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options

What kind of chocolate can you eat that much of?
  • naveed1naveed
    Options

What kind of chocolate can you eat that much of?

Raw chocolate, choco with butter and chocolate without added sugar available in most grocery store.
    And the one and the only cote d'or