80/10/10--I'm doing it!

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The really, really sad thing about veganism, and the thing that gets lost in all the debate is that, if we were all vegans (and that always seems to be the aim of vegans) you would only ever see a Cow, Sheep or Pig in a zoo. All those fields of quietly grazing animals with their calves and the lambs happily hopping around the pastures in spring time would be a thing of the past....

Is this a joke?

It's quite accurate actually. The only reason you see that now is because they're raised domestically for food.
  • magerum
    Options
    If your looking for tips and guidelines on a solid VEGAN lifestyle check our "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier.... World Famous Tri- Athlete. (and totally hot!! worth the photos alone on his webiste :). )
    http://myvega.com/team-vega/brendan-brazier/biography

Vegan should not be a fad diet but a life style, same with Raw and Vegetarian.

Seems legit, solid first post for a 18 month old account.

Legitlab_zps7b79a133.jpg
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The really, really sad thing about veganism, and the thing that gets lost in all the debate is that, if we were all vegans (and that always seems to be the aim of vegans) you would only ever see a Cow, Sheep or Pig in a zoo. All those fields of quietly grazing animals with their calves and the lambs happily hopping around the pastures in spring time would be a thing of the past....

Is this a joke?

It's quite accurate actually. The only reason you see that now is because they're raised domestically for food.

I just can't... even...

No.

You don't really believe those grocery store package lies, do you? I've seen your posts around, you're a sensible guy.

I've visited small local farms, AWA farms, they don't look like that. You just aren't getting the full picture of the life of a farmed animal if you keep only that image in your head.

ETA: And it's completely besides the point. Animals don't exist so we can pen them and watch them graze and prance for our own amusement.
  • magerum
    Options

Is this a joke?

I just can't... even...

No.

You don't really believe those grocery store package lies, do you? I've seen your posts around, you're a sensible guy.

I've visited small local farms, AWA farms, they don't look like that. You just aren't getting the full picture of the life of a farmed animal if you keep only that image in your head.

ETA: And it's completely besides the point. Animals don't exist so we can pen them and watch them graze and prance for our own amusement.

There's the difference. I have no moral or ethical issue(s) raising animals for food. It really just makes hunting easier and food more available to the masses. I'm guessing you're not a pet owner either? (Neither am I.)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    There's the difference. I have no moral or ethical issue(s) raising animals for food. It really just makes hunting easier and food more available to the masses. I'm guessing you're not a pet owner either? (Neither am I.)

I wouldn't have an ethical issue with it either if we needed to eat them to survive, but we don't.

I do have a rescued cat.

Vegans aren't against providing proper care for the domestic animals that are alive now, we're responsible for them.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is a raw vegan diet fad...I will just politely say that setting percentages for macros doesn't work and that this diet highly ignores the fact that protein and fat are ESSENTIAL nutrients whereas carbohydrates are non-essential and should be determined based on physical activity.

These type of dieters do ridiculous things like eating nothing but fruit in ridiculous amounts all day and often these people have serious fears (orthorexics) about fat and consumption of animal products as being "toxic"

Consumption of animal products IS toxic. That is the ONLY place Cholesterol is found. And, what is the number one cause of death in the US right now? Heart disease. What causes heart disease, you ask? Cholesterol. :)

cholesterol is good for you as long as it is the right type
  • magerum
    Options

I wouldn't have an ethical issue with it either if we needed to eat them to survive, but we don't.

I do have a rescued cat.

Vegans aren't against providing proper care for the domestic animals that are alive now, we're responsible for them.

There's no other way I can hit my protein goals (complete protein profiles) without animal flesh. That's the long and short of it. Plus it's delicious.

There are a lot of things you don't need to survive, but being the dominate species on the planet allows usto make our lives as convienent and comfortable as possible.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is a raw vegan diet fad...I will just politely say that setting percentages for macros doesn't work and that this diet highly ignores the fact that protein and fat are ESSENTIAL nutrients whereas carbohydrates are non-essential and should be determined based on physical activity.

These type of dieters do ridiculous things like eating nothing but fruit in ridiculous amounts all day and often these people have serious fears (orthorexics) about fat and consumption of animal products as being "toxic"

Consumption of animal products IS toxic. That is the ONLY place Cholesterol is found. And, what is the number one cause of death in the US right now? Heart disease. What causes heart disease, you ask? Cholesterol. :)

OMG GUYES LOOK A REEL FIZZISHUN
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If you have an ethical or moral reason for being vegan, go for it! nothing wrong with that!

if you don't, then eating meat is fine.

HOWEVER, most of us would be healthier if we scaled back on how MUCH meat we eat daily. shockingly enough........ moderation.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There's no other way I can hit my protein goals (complete protein profiles) without animal flesh.
    You should tell these guys there is "no other way".

8-8-09_1st_cut.jpg
    002-e1309306475769.jpg
    479741_474133279292006_527955799_n.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    There's no other way I can hit my protein goals (complete protein profiles) without animal flesh.

8-8-09_1st_cut.jpg
    002-e1309306475769.jpg

snap!
  • magerum
    Options

8-8-09_1st_cut.jpg
    002-e1309306475769.jpg

snap!

The key word you both missed in that was I. Which can be for many various reasons, but in my case primarily convenience & cost. (Plus deliciousness)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The key word you both missed in that was I. Which can be for many various reasons, but in my case primarily convenience & cost. (Plus deliciousness)

yep. that's true. but that doesn't mean veganism is "sad"

they just have a moral objection to factory farmed meat, and you don't. YOU need meat. THEY don't. fair?
  • magerum
    Options

they just have a moral objection to factory farmed meat, and you don't. YOU need meat. THEY don't. fair?

Never said it was sad or bad...just don't subscribe to the beliefs.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Never said it was sad or bad...just don't subscribe to the beliefs.

sorry, thought the post about the "sad thing about veganism" was you. my mistake.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    This 80/10/10 diet is a silly idea. You need way more than 10% of fat and protein. I'm pretty sure no one needs 80% carbs, you're asking for trouble with that much.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This 80/10/10 diet is a silly idea. You need way more than 10% of fat and protein. I'm pretty sure no one needs 80% carbs, you're asking for trouble with that much.
    The World Health Organization's standard for adults is as follows:

10-15% of energy intake from protein
    15-30% of energy intake from fats (and no more than 10% of energy intake from saturated fats)
    Carbohydrate to provide the remaining energy intake by difference, thus, 55-75% of energy intake

Remember, this is the standard, NOT the bare minimum. So a person could very well live healthily at slightly lower levels.

How silly does this sound to you now?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options

15-30% of energy intake from fats (and no more than 10% of energy intake from saturated fats)
    Carbohydrate to provide the remaining energy intake by difference, thus, 55-75% of energy intake

Remember, this is the standard, NOT the bare minimum. So a person could very well live healthily at slightly lower levels.

Read the thread, that's already been addressed. Also recommendations are always minimums, energy expenditures will dictate the extra needed on an individual basis.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Is this a joke?

I just can't... even...

No.

Actually, there is now a lot of evidence that the land needs large herds of grazing animals in order to avoid desertification. Allan Savory is a "...Zimbabwean biologist, farmer, soldier, exile, environmentalist, and winner of the 2003 Banksia International Award and the 2010 Buckminster Fuller Challenge. He is the originator of holistic management..." He has said that the greatest mistake of his career was urging the Rhodesian government to cull wild herds of animals as a means of preventing land degradation (desertification). The government then culled 40,000 elephants from the land. The desertification got worse.

We ourselves, are now at very serious risk because of the growing desertification throughout the planet. Even our own prairies were once lush grassland where "..the deer and the antelope play[ed]...". They were also home to great herds of buffalo which were culled as a means of genocide against the native Plains Indians. The land degradation is there for everyone to see today. At the bottom of my post is a link to Savory's TED lecture on the subject.

WE need animals as an efficient delivery system of high quality protein for a protein-hungry world, and now it appears that the land itself needs grazing animals to prosper, as well. We simply do not have enough crop growing ability to feed everyone with the massive quantity of vegetable matter that they would need to avoid protein deficiency. Animals are concentrated protein on the hoof. They convert vegetable matter into protein that humans need to survive (humans don't last long on a diet of grass--but cattle thrive). We are naturally omnivores. As a species, we simply do not prosper on an all plant diet. In every place that the people have a strictly plant-based diet, you see the shrunken stature and swollen bellies of children deprived of protein. The suffering of animals is regrettable but, to me, it is preferable to the suffering of children.

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change.html
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

It still sounds silly.

There's still 5% missing from fat.

Those ARE minimums for sedentary adults.

Not adults eating at a deficit and exercising.