80/10/10--I'm doing it!

Options
ameyls
ameyls Posts: 12 Member
Hi, everyone

New to the board here. I decided that, for the New Year, I would do 30 days of 80/10/10. I've been mostly raw for about a year and a half now, but I've lost my passion for it, so I'm hoping this will help. So far, I'm doing okay. I'm definitely not hungry. If anything, I find it nearly impossible to eat enough food to hit my targets! I've been coming in at closer to 15% fat most days, though, so I need to get that under control. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this approach or is currently living it. I'm especially interested in hearing how you structured your food intake and which foods gave you the most bang for your buck.

Thanks!

Ameyls

Replies

• hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Ameyls,
    I am going to try the 80 10 10 starting today, basically. Did you do it for 30 days? How did it go?
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound ignorant but whats 80 10 10
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound ignorant but whats 80 10 10

I was just about to ask as well!
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's a diet that follows the idea of the ratio of nutrients to support health is 80% carbohydrates, 10% protein and 10% fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    80 carbs, 10 protein, 10 fat. Not what I'd call very balanced. I wouldn't get very far consuming 25 to 30 g's of protein a day.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow, no way, I think I'd drop. I go with 30-35% carb, 40-45% fat, and 25% protein and do great.

Why is the 80 10 10 recommended? I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    80 carbs, 10 protein, 10 fat. Not what I'd call very balanced. I wouldn't get very far consuming 25 to 30 g's of protein a day.

Certainly couldn't build or maintain any muscle. And what about the insulin response to so much carb? yikes.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is a raw vegan diet fad...I will just politely say that setting percentages for macros doesn't work and that this diet highly ignores the fact that protein and fat are ESSENTIAL nutrients whereas carbohydrates are non-essential and should be determined based on physical activity.

These type of dieters do ridiculous things like eating nothing but fruit in ridiculous amounts all day and often these people have serious fears (orthorexics) about fat and consumption of animal products as being "toxic"
  • neanderthin
    Options

Certainly couldn't build or maintain any muscle. And what about the insulin response to so much carb? yikes.
    That's consuming 2500 to 3000 cals a day. If someone is on a 1200 calorie diet that only gives someone 12 g's of protein a day, that's just preying on the gullible.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I thought the 80 would be protein. LOL.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    You've just got a 1 track mind, that's all....lol
  • cupcake721
    cupcake721 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is a raw vegan diet fad...I will just politely say that setting percentages for macros doesn't work and that this diet highly ignores the fact that protein and fat are ESSENTIAL nutrients whereas carbohydrates are non-essential and should be determined based on physical activity.

These type of dieters do ridiculous things like eating nothing but fruit in ridiculous amounts all day and often these people have serious fears (orthorexics) about fat and consumption of animal products as being "toxic"

Consumption of animal products IS toxic. That is the ONLY place Cholesterol is found. And, what is the number one cause of death in the US right now? Heart disease. What causes heart disease, you ask? Cholesterol. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    That would be semisensible. This is not the objective of this diet.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Consumption of animal products IS toxic. That is the ONLY place Cholesterol is found. And, what is the number one cause of death in the US right now? Heart disease. What causes heart disease, you ask? Cholesterol. :)

This is the "lipid hypothesis". Dietary Cholesterol is not the same thing as blood cholesterol.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol

Cholesterol, It's what cells need.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's a diet that follows the idea of the ratio of nutrients to support health is 80% carbohydrates, 10% protein and 10% fat.

what!? how is 10% protein and 10% fat healthy??
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Dietary cholesterol is, at strongest, only loosely related to blood serum cholesterol levels. And it has less to do with HDL vs LDL levels. It is also strongly debated, among medical professionals, how much it should be cut from the diet when someone has high serum cholesterol levels.

Much stronger relations are total lipid (fat) intakes and activity levels. HDLs are carrying fats to be metabolized by the body, where LDLs are carrying them to be stored (simplified version). Obesity is also a stronger link to heart health. True, it is often connected to high cholesterol (and especially high LDLs). But that doesn't mean that consuming animal products in appropriate levels is toxic.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Nope. It's actually the lack of cholesterol found it LDL lipoprotein subfractions. HDL lipoproteins are about 95% cholesterol and low and behold their called the good cholesterol.